VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a Micronics 486 mobo which won't boot up correctly. The BIOS POST displays this message -

Previous boot incomplete - Default configuration used

Press <F2> to enter SETUP

But I cannot enter SETUP as the keyboard is completely unresponsive. I think something is wrong with the BIOS. The mobo manual contains a large list of BIOS POST codes. I now realise I need a BIOS POST card. (The mobo does have a two pin speaker header, but I haven't got a speaker/cable.)

I searched ebay using this search: BIOS POST, and found this item -

380117926546 (sorry, how do you do a link?)

The URL is -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt … _fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

(Sorry if this link looks messy)

Does this item look OK?

Thanks for any comments.

Reply 3 of 5, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Davros wrote:

what keyboard are you using ?

A typical generic (well, "Fellowes") PS/2 style keyboard. I dunno - maybe there's something really odd going on because I've got nothing plugged in to the other PS/2 style mouse port? I can't test out this unlikely theory right now, cos I've packed the mobo away. But next time I dig it out for another test, I'll try plugging a mouse in. (I didn't test this idea out first time around, cos I don't have any PS/2 style mice - I need to buy a cheap one just for testing purposes.)

Reply 4 of 5, by samudra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought one of those ones once.

Since I'm smart enough not to put something from Hong Kong I don't know into my valuable system I tested it in another system first.

It started to smell and got very hot. The system escaped undamaged.

The seller said "maybe yours is broken". Yes, he actually said that.

Apparently there are many counterfeits in circulation judging from the manual and card I got. It had all kinds of stickers and warnings reassuring me this one was the real thing.

Anyway buy a good one and good luck! Don't forget those protective goggles!

This is not a QEMM error.