VOGONS

First post, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Free inheritance here. Hard to get excited about this thing 🤣.

It's in fantastic condition. It's a Gateway using a Intel OEM micro ATX mobo and it even has a AGP slot, probably cuz there weren't any IGP chipsets for P4 at the time.

Reply 1 of 15, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hm, a 1.5ghz P4 with SDRAM... that's probably about on par with an 900-ish mhz PIII. Except it probably sucks down about 50w more power.

Yep... real winners, those things. 😒

See if you can find out the model of the board, and also what socket it uses. Since it's using SDRAM, there's a good chance it's a later model with S478 and probably an 845 chipset. So you might actually be able to throw a faster Northwood chip in there and make it not suck. As much.

Reply 2 of 15, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's Socket 478. I looked at the info in CPU-Z before taking it apart. Don't remember the mobo tho.

In my wee collection of CPUs, I have a Celeron-Northwood 1.8 and a Prescott 3.2. The Celeron might work in there.

Reply 5 of 15, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Celeron 1.8 would be even worse than the Willamette 1.5, if you can believe that's possible. Netburst chips needed lots of cache and lots of memory bandwidth. Celerons don't have anywhere near enough cache, and SDRAM doesn't have enough bandwidth. Put the two together and you've got a major turd.

You could throw, maybe, a KT133 board or something in the case. If the rest of the machine is in good shape, it would be a shame not to do something with it, and an Athlon would give it decent performance while allowing you to reuse most of the other parts in it.

Reply 6 of 15, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

It's in fantastic condition. It's a Gateway using a Intel OEM micro ATX mobo and it even has a AGP slot, probably cuz there weren't any IGP chipsets for P4 at the time.

there good for internet boxes for your mom. i bought something very similar and put in another corner of my room.

Reply 7 of 15, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thrashy, the Celly-Northwood has the same cache size as Willamette. 😀 Celly-Willamette sux tho ya cuz it only has 128K L2.

But I can't get it to work anyway. I don't think the board or BIOS support the Northwood. I also can't upgrade to an Intel BIOS to save me cuz it comes with a Gateway BIOS and the "emergency recovery disk" trick go to Intel won't work no matter what I try. Oh, board is a D845HV.

It would be a POS anyway so I'll just take it to the recycle place I think. Enough wasting time on it.

And no, cdoublejj, I wouldn't even force my mom to use this cuz I'd have to fix it occasionally and it is SLOW. Besides, mom has both a Northwood 2.6GHz DDR333 desktop and my 'ol Athlon64 notebook! She'd notice it is horrid slow!

Reply 8 of 15, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thrashy, the Celly-Northwood has the same cache size as Willamette.

A Willamette P4 has 256K cache, the Celerons have 128K. Or do you mean that it's a Willamette Celeron 1.5 in that machine, rather than a P4?

Reply 9 of 15, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What I have is a Mobile Celeron 1.8 w/256K, aka Northwood-256. Pulled from a very busted notebook. I should have specified that earlier, sorry. Tragically this mobo doesn't seem to know what to do with the CPU. I have seen it work on a newer P4 mobo.

The desktop has a Willamette P4 1.5.

Reply 10 of 15, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

What is the video card? If you add GeForce 4600Ti and Windows 98, wouldn't it make quite a decent Win9x legacy system?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 11 of 15, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah, OK. The problem probably isn't the fact that it's a Northwood, then, but that it's a mobile chip. A lot of boards, especially OEM and Intel-made boards, don't know what to do with mobile CPUs. I have a strong suspicion that a normal desktop Northwood would work fine.

Reply 12 of 15, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used a 1.4ghz willamette in my mum's machine with an FX5200 and sb128pci. She was happy with it's performance as all she plays is card games and scrabble on it. Only now someone's given her an xp box so she'll be passing it back soon I think. Think the motherboard was an ECS and took two types of ram, but i could be mistaken.

Reply 13 of 15, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

What is the video card? If you add GeForce 4600Ti and Windows 98, wouldn't it make quite a decent Win9x legacy system?

It actually had a Radeon 9550 in it. I had upgraded it years ago for the guy I got it from recently. He's enjoying my "old" P965 + C2D E6300 sys now. 😀 Lets just say that that is a serious speed boost from this thing!

I was thinking that it would be a nice 98SE retro rig but I'm having some sort of PCI issues. I've been trying to set it up as a Rendition Verite test machine but it is locking up on me. I even tried forcing 98SE to install in APM mode instead of ACPI. It's still freezing up.

Also, my Diamond Edge 3D won't work at all in it. I get vid card error beeps from the mobo.

I'm thinking that either the mobo is a POS or there's something going bad. Caps look fine so I don't know....

Reply 14 of 15, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't say I've ever seen an Intel-branded board that was a POS. The only issues I've ever had with Intel boards, or semi-recent ones anyway, have been that they're pretty strict about specs... i.e., RAM has to meet official Jedec guidelines, IDE cables have to be within the 24-inch limit, that sort of thing. None of that is a problem, on the contrary, it makes for a very stable system once you get everything working.

I'd say it's more likely that something's going bad. It is from the era of rampant bad capacitors, and that's still a possibility even if they don't appear swollen. But, considering what the thing is, I personally wouldn't be inclined to put forth too much effort troubleshooting it.