VOGONS

First post, by Hater Depot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I swapped out my XP 1800 for an XP 2200, because even though it's not officially supported in BIOS I figured it was worth a shot. And indeed, it appears correctly detected as an Athlon XP 2200+. The problem is that the memory check begins very, very slowly and then eventually either halts, or else quits early. Either way the next thing to appear is a totally blank screen. Another odd thing that happens is the Energy Star logo is not drawn. I'm unable to get into BIOS at all; attempting to skip the memory test is ineffective.

I would guess the problem is the CPU not being supported in BIOS, but then again it is correctly detected.... the only other idea I have is perhaps the heatsink is improperly seated or something like that. Has anyone here ever seen such an issue before?

Korea Beat -- my cool translation blog.

Reply 1 of 9, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That sounds pretty weird. If it can boot at all, I would say it's supported enough. Now as far as the failure to fully operate, I would inspect to make sure the processor isn't cracked, and then next I would look at your power supply.

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold

Reply 2 of 9, by Hater Depot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, I was afraid of it getting cracked, because the heat sink is very heavy and requires unmounting the motherboard to install. I think at 430 watts the PSU should be sufficient, and it was working fine with an XP 1800.

I'm also getting other errors, like all the characters on screen being messed up or the screen being drawn way off-center. Sigh. It's gonna be a pain to take everything apart to check for a cracked core. I looked at it under a magnifying glass before putting it, so it should have been fine then.

Reply 3 of 9, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Hater Depot wrote:

Yeah, I was afraid of it getting cracked, because the heat sink is very heavy and requires unmounting the motherboard to install. I think at 430 watts the PSU should be sufficient, and it was working fine with an XP 1800.

Tell me two things:

1. Does your motherboard use the 4-pin, ATX12V connector, or just the 20-pin.

2. If it is only the 20-pin, check the rated amps of the 5V power rail, as listed for the supply. If it is anything less than 30a, I'll bet that's your problem.

"Retro Rocket"

Reply 4 of 9, by Hater Depot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just the 20-pin, but the PSU supplies 42 amps on the 5V rail.

I just took the CPU out and the core seems fine, no visible cracks under the magnifying glass. But weirdly, unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, it's now a pinkish color whereas it was blueish before I popped it in. 😕

Reply 5 of 9, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try flashing the motherboard's BIOS to the latest version.

Reply 6 of 9, by Hater Depot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's the latest BIOS.

Could this be caused by bad capacitors? The last time I looked at them a few months they were all fine, but I just checked them all now and two seem to be bulging a little and have some orange gunk on top.

Reply 7 of 9, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The last time I looked at them a few months they were all fine, but I just checked them all now and two seem to be bulging a little and have some orange gunk on top.

That's most likely your problem, then. If you're not getting clean power to the CPU or RAM, you're going to have all sorts of random stability issues.

If you've never done it before, it'd be a good chance to try your hand at replacing the capacitors.

Reply 8 of 9, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

The last time I looked at them a few months they were all fine, but I just checked them all now and two seem to be bulging a little and have some orange gunk on top.

That's most likely your problem, then. If you're not getting clean power to the CPU or RAM, you're going to have all sorts of random stability issues.

If you've never done it before, it'd be a good chance to try your hand at replacing the capacitors.

Yeah, that's practically a smoking gun. Look closer and see that you don't have goo running across the contacts of other components on the board.

Supposedly after the system has been "on" for while, the electrolytic (goo) inside regains some it's intend properties, and your system may function properly. I have observed this my self, as my Kt133a system would always need to lockup and be warm booted once to few times after a cold cycle of more than a few moments.

Beware of the goo... it's only going to get worse.

"Retro Rocket"

Reply 9 of 9, by Hater Depot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, I'm definitely going to replace those caps.

Here's the odd thing though... I'm currently using the same system, with the 2200 chip, but using a lighter heatsink-fan. No stability issues at all. So although the caps are worrying, I'm thinking the problem was thermal. Either the tower heatsink was improperly seated or there was not enough thermal grease. I guess I'll see how it goes for a couple days, then replace the caps and try the tower again.