VOGONS

First post, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Please forgive me for opening a new thread, but I felt that the parallel threads regarding the KT133a and BX440 would be partially OT for this question.

I do own a mobile Athlon XP-M 2600 and an Epox 8krai (KT600). Currently, this machine ist set as a fast-end win98se machine, using a GF6800 and a SBLive! 5.1. Glide is done FSAA by wrapper. Thanks to DVI, aspect correction on a widescreen is no problem in windows.

The bios allows me to change the FSB beween 100 and 200+ MHZ, the CPU is unlocked and can hence be set anywhere between 500 MHz and 2200 MHz. So it can fake anything from Duron 500 to Athlon 3400+.

The Bios allows for L1 and L2 to be disabled. Also, the software THROTTLE can be used to slow down the machine in 16 steps. As a result, this machine can be run in the proximity of about every speedsys CPU score, starting somewhere near 10.

This would be perfect, if reality wouldn't kick in. At those slower speeds, sound eventually fails. I suspect, that this caused by either the PCI bus in general or by a resource hungry TSR for SB16 emulation. If it is a general problem of the PCI bus, then the story ends here. If it is the TSR of the SBLive, then I would have an idea for an alternative.

But before I spend my entire weekend trying to reinvent the wheel, I figured I could ask you guys if you already have some info on this. So if you have tested this matter to conclusion, please let me know.

My plan for future action would be a fallback to my most cherished and trusted PCI sound solution whenever DOS and PCI sound enter the scenario. I would give the ESS Solo1 a try. My Solo1 even has a daughterboard connector, so maybe Midi in DOS would be an option.

The sound experts will surely know if it is possible to put in both cards and use the SBlive in Windows and the ESS is Dos? By not installing a TSR for the SBLive and having the ESS deactivated in hardware or by setting the SBlive as primary sound device?

Another idea would be to use a KT133a board with an ISA slot. I have read through the pages of the KT133a thread, but I couldn't figure out, if such a board exists that can do what I need:
1xISA, AthlonXP support with voltage control for my XP-M (1,55V or lower),
Multi in Bios, FSB in Bios. L1 off, L2 off.
Does that board exist?

Reply 1 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ux-3 wrote:

a resource hungry TSR for SB16 emulation. If it is a general problem of the PCI bus, then the story ends here. If it is the TSR of the SBLive, then I would have an idea for an alternative.

SBLive's emulation TSR is indeed hoggy, even a 500MHz computer gets heavy slowdowns with it and opl2 audio especially in Sierra games. DOS games are unbearable with it imo if not only just the inaccurate fm but the uneven timing thanks to it.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 7, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ux-3 wrote:
Another idea would be to use a KT133a board with an ISA slot. I have read through the pages of the KT133a thread, but I couldn't […]
Show full quote

Another idea would be to use a KT133a board with an ISA slot. I have read through the pages of the KT133a thread, but I couldn't figure out, if such a board exists that can do what I need:
1xISA, AthlonXP support with voltage control for my XP-M (1,55V or lower),
Multi in Bios, FSB in Bios. L1 off, L2 off.
Does that board exist?

Re: L1 and L2 caches = Disabled. Check out this Abit KT7A BIOS tweak guide -

http://www.devhardware.com/c/a/Motherboards/K … -Tweak-Guide/4/

Half way down on that webpage, it describes these two options. So, this board can do this OK. Also, check out this other webpage from that article -

http://www.devhardware.com/c/a/Motherboards/K … -Tweak-Guide/1/

It shows you the Multi, FSB, and voltage options. The Abit KT7A PCB revision number 1.3 is a good board, if you require extra BIOS tweaking such as OC'ing and voltage adjustment. The caps on them are also better than the Epox and Soltek KT133A based boards. Also, I have discovered that the XP-M CPUs are "resilient" to extra volts being sent through them. I think I had a 1.45V 2400+ XP-M running OK at 1.7V once. I've also tried low voltage 1.35V 2200+ XP-M CPUs in KT133A boards, and they have also worked OK. The "default core voltage" selected by these boards appears to be around the 1.50-1.55V value, and they run OK.

Reply 3 of 7, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Quick update:

I have swapped the SB Live for a ESS Solo1 and voila: SBPro works at all desired speeds!

BUT there is another problem: As soon as I use Throttle, the joystick starts to drift. So throttle is out for Joystick games it seems. (Need to cross check on ISA)

Another unexplained mystery remains:
A P3 800 without L1 cache runs a speedsys of about 8, while a XP at 500 MHz without cache still reaches 18. Is it the DDR vs SDR?

Retro PC warning: The things you own end up owning you.

Reply 4 of 7, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have just confirmed that Throttle will cause joystick drift with ISA cards as well. 😢

A less depressing side observation: If one starts win98se, opens a dos window, runs throttle, then the game, the joystick does not drift. As a positive bonus, the game now runs even slower. 😉

Perhaps having to use PCI for sound might not be to much of a restraint then. Under pure Dos, one can have stereo SBpro with wavetable. Under Windows, SB Live! is available.

Reply 5 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That would mean managing two line outs for your speakers, which could be annoying unless you had two pairs of well shielded, phasing speakers (i.e. a "retro" set and the OMG LIVE! SUPER ENVIRONMANT SOUNDS LIKE ITS REAL set)

Glad you have it working though. Sblive's tsr is so terrible, even the worse sounding VIA AC'97 "legacy" TSR is much faster. No that won't work with the 'live. 🙁

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 7, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ux-3 wrote:

Perhaps having to use PCI for sound might not be to much of a restraint then. Under pure Dos, one can have stereo SBpro with wavetable. Under Windows, SB Live! is available.

I used an ISA soundcard next to a SB-Live for a while. I routed the ISA sound output through the SB-Live and then to the speakers. There is a little tool I found and adjusted to 'wake up' the mixer of the SB-Live in Dos. I can post it here if there is interest.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 7 of 7, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote:

I used an ISA soundcard next to a SB-Live for a while. I routed the ISA sound output through the SB-Live and then to the speakers.

Clever!