VOGONS

First post, by carangil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, I was wondering if anyone here has tried kernelEx?

I have a couple old win98 PCs, that COULD run 2000/xp, but I choose not to for performance reasons. I don't intend to run newer games on them, but they could benefit from a newer web browser.

Does KernelEx REALLY work? I mostly intend to update to Firefox 3, and maybe step-up winamp.

Reply 1 of 8, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Opera still runs on 9x. I haven't tried 10.5 yet, but the earlier 10.x version did. It is the fastest full-featured browser out there.

I've actually found 2k/XP to run smoother on some old computers than 9x does, as long as you have at least 192MB of RAM. I've seen this with Pentium II and K6-2 or newer. Of course you also get dramatically improved stability as long as your board's BIOS isn't a buggy wreck (early ACPI can be an issue).

You might even want to look at Puppy Linux.

I've never tried this KernelEx. I just don't try to make 9x work as a productive desktop machine anymore.

Reply 2 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

KernelEX works great, just read the thread @ MSFN for it.

Don't know if I'd bother to use it for FireFox tho since as mentioned above Opera still works but last I checked awhile back FireFox did work with Kernelex.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 8, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Recent versions of Firefox don't work properly with KernelEx, you'd be stuck with 3.0, which is pretty far out of date now. Best stick with Opera.

I haven't done extensive testing, but things I have tried and found [mostly] working with KernelEx: Flash 10.1, Foobar 1.0, MPC/ffdshow (takes a bit of screwing around, but it can be made to work).

Also, stick with the older KernelEx 4.0 Release 2... the newest 4.5 Beta is unstable as hell.

Reply 4 of 8, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote:

KernelEX works great, just read the thread @ MSFN for it.....

I was going to mention MSFN but you beat me to it 😉

MSFN.org is one of the best sites for finding in-debt information and downloads for any kind of windows.
Afaik KernelEX has been -extensively- tested with all kinds of software, there should be a list over there with compatible software and (often) download links to latest working versions[/b]

Edit:This subforum has a wealth of info and is a great starting point for a good read for anyone interested in "upgrading" and tweaking all the older versions of windows
http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/91-windows-9x … 5fb270cae5dba54

Reply 5 of 8, by carangil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Awesome, MSFN does have a lot of stuff!

I'm also surprised there's this many diehard win98 users.

I suppose that if you're running win98, have an old antivirus program (to block old viruses), and are sitting behind a firewall/router, it might even be safer than XP, just because new viruses don't target '98.

Reply 6 of 8, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You'd be surprised. That 10 second Win9X compromise scare is just a myth, especially when you consider XP can go down just as fast even with the latest updates.

Kernelex helps me use newer sites on 98 with the modernest browsers I can possibly use from artificial crippling. It also allows me to run stuff that are compiled with fussy new versions of Visual Studio that somehow must impose some 'expects a new OS' restriction for no reason other than to get you on XP.

apsosig.png
long live PCem