VOGONS

AMD Duron - super budget CPU

Topic actions

First post, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Any of you do the jaw-dropping K6->Duron upgrade back in 1999/2000? "Spitfire" was an appropriate codename for that chip.

Reply 1 of 21, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nope. I went from my P-150 to K6-III to Athlon 64. I do vaguely remember having a K5 at some point but can't remember where.

Reply 2 of 21, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I went from a K6-III 400/Intel 430TX to a Duron 600/Via KT133A. The Duron overclocked up to 1 GHz. 😁

Reply 3 of 21, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just remember how the Duron was maybe 100% faster at the same clock if you were playing 3D games.

Reply 4 of 21, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I once had an 800mhz Duron (Spitfire) paired with a nice Epox 8KTA3+ mobo. I'm sure it performed the same or even better than the more expensive (at the time) PIII CPU's of the same speed.

I sold that system to a friend after i got my first (and dissapointing) P4 system.

Reply 5 of 21, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i thought the k6 was the socket 7 replacement? i saw one that was 550 or was it 500mhz not only that is had a good sized cache i was gonna bid on it but, it hit 50 bucks and that is way to much.

Reply 6 of 21, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PowerPie5000 wrote:

I sold that system to a friend after i got my first (and dissapointing) P4 system.

I went from a 486 to a P4. My first ever AMD purchase was a couple of years ago, when I started posting on Vogons. My P4 system was a 2.4Ghz with a Radeon Pro 9700. It was expensive and not very fast.

Reply 7 of 21, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cdoublejj wrote:

i thought the k6 was the socket 7 replacement? i saw one that was 550 or was it 500mhz not only that is had a good sized cache i was gonna bid on it but, it hit 50 bucks and that is way to much.

K6 is socket 7 or Super 7 in AMD speak. Duron was Socket A.

What you were probably looking at was a K62+ or K6III+. Those go for high prices at the highest rated speeds. If you're looking at building a retro system you're better off building a Slot A Athlon than a K6 if you want speeds of 500mhz+ because it will be cheaper.

Reply 8 of 21, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

plus in my experience k6-3 systems where very buggy

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 9 of 21, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I went from a P2-350 (later upgraded to a Katmai 550) to a P3-1000 years later and finally to an A64 3500+ (excluding extra computers such as test, fun and gaming rigs).
My first socket 7 was a very shortlived K6-2-333 several years ago and more recently a K6-3-400.

I'm pretty sure going from a K6 to a duron would've been a massive upgrade.
Still I like the sound of "Super Socket 7" way better then "one of the slowest Socket A's ever"! 😜

Reply 10 of 21, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey i have 2 slots As left over from one of my PCs and a parts machine i got for the case. one is 800mhz & 550mhz. lately i have been getting a lot of P4 CPUs perhaps there is a good home i can send my lower rated Pentium 2s and slot As i don't want any thing for them i just want to give them to some one who at least has some sort of use for them.

Reply 11 of 21, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cdoublejj wrote:

Hey i have 2 slots As left over from one of my PCs and a parts machine i got for the case. one is 800mhz & 550mhz. lately i have been getting a lot of P4 CPUs perhaps there is a good home i can send my lower rated Pentium 2s and slot As i don't want any thing for them i just want to give them to some one who at least has some sort of use for them.

If you have any Slot A Thunderbirds and/or Semi-unlocked P2's, then please toss em my way 😉
Anything you might want to have in exchange by any chance? (Yes I know you said it's for free 😉 )

Reply 12 of 21, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I went Pentium 120 MHz to P3 500 MHz to Athlon XP 2400+ to C2D 2400 MHz

Everytime I made a transition, I felt the difference.

Reply 13 of 21, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Heh yea I imagine you did. 😁

I upgraded a lot myself. Lots of 486s and then to various PII models, PIII Katmai and Coppermine. I got a Duron in there and eventually an Athlon XP. I tended to go after the latest exciting budget overclocking chips of each era. Am5x86, PII SL2W8, PIII SL35D and Coppermine, etc.

But I knew a few people who went from something like a PII 266 or K6-2 to a Duron 650 or so and it really blew their minds. Not only is a Duron/Athlon CPU vastly superior to any K6 (particularly for games), but so is the entire system platform, and it really added up. It was fun to see that.

Reply 14 of 21, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I went from a Celeron 533A @ 800 to a Athlon XP 1600+. I did however make several systems for friends with Durons, they were good performers for being so darn cheap.

@ swaaye's overclocking: same here, I'm currently running a E5200 at 4.0 mhz that I picked up last Black Friday for only $43 shipped. I'm also bringing my old Althon Barton Mobile chip back to life in a Win98/XP box im building. 😁

Reply 15 of 21, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bushwack wrote:

I went from a Celeron 533A @ 800 to a Athlon XP 1600+. I did however make several systems for friends with Durons, they were good performers for being so darn cheap.

@ swaaye's overclocking: same here, I'm currently running a E5200 at 4.0 mhz that I picked up last Black Friday for only $43 shipped. I'm also bringing my old Althon Barton Mobile chip back to life in a Win98/XP box im building. 😁

wow...that must be real killer man! 😁

Reply 16 of 21, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I accidentally cracked the core of my Athlon XP-M a few years ago. 🙁 I don't miss the bare die days. I still have a Athlon XP 1800+ (palomino), an Athlon 900 (thunderbird) and a Duron 800 (spitfire) around though.

Reply 17 of 21, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I got my mothers old computer at some time (I was the only one using it anyway 🤣)...Athlon XP 3200+! 😁

The Athlon was a great platform and still very useful today. It's very flexible but kinda old ofcourse.
Cracking the die was something I luckily never had to endure, but I did smoke a Palomino though...was trying to get a motherboard to work and was trying different CPU's when I forgot to add thermal paste...
Oh well, no thermal protection like the modern CPU's have.

The funny thing is I had forgotten to add thermal paste to my Thunderbird 900 test CPU twice and it didn't burn up (yay for copper cooler! 😁 )

It's interesting in a way how AMD decided to keep the 'old fashioned' "flatbed screwdriver required" type heatsink while Intel went along with a couple of those handle-clamp type HSF designs. On the other hand, AMD's decision back then does provide us all with TONS of heatsinks available to us nowdays for use in Socket 370 and Socket 7 motherboards 😀

Reply 18 of 21, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What the heck, my post disappeared. well my first home pc was a p2 system wich we had upgraded. The computer guy said the mobo couldn't handle the p2 so it was under clocked from like 400 to like 333 it had xp and probably 384mb ram. Not till 06 did i get something decent wich was 1.8 ghz socket 939 from best buy. on the CPUs you pay shipping they are yours.

Reply 19 of 21, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cdoublejj wrote:

What the heck, my post disappeared

I feel your pain 🤣.

After this had happened to me a number of times I found out a lil trick 😉
When I'm done writing a post I do a quick CTRL+A and CTRL+C. When my post disappears (which always happens sooner or later) I'll just open a new reply, do CTRL+V et voila, all your post haz magically returnzed 😁

Doh, I forgot about the processor.