VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would like to test a 486 SX 20 MHz CPU. Yes it's slow, but I'm interested to see just how slow it is. I grabbed 4 random 486 boards I have, and checked the PCB for system clock options. They all start at 25, and go up to either 40, or in one case 50. There appeared to be no option printed on the PCB to set the system clock to the value of 20. Do I just keep looking around for 486 mobos, until I find one that specifically states that a jumper configuration option for 20 MHz system clock is possible?

Second question, please retro people! I am looking at a GA486IM Rev 2 mobo. It's a 486 mobo. The PCB states that a system clock speed of 50 MHz is available. Please can someone suggest some CPUs that would work OK at 50 MHz? I would then buy one of these CPUs, just to see it run at 50 MHz. It would be interesting. I could either overclock a CPU, or run one that is designed for 50 MHz system operation.

Thanks a lot. 😀

Reply 1 of 12, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

pcguide.com even mentions a 16MHz 486SX 🤣

They might be low power for notebooks or industrial / embedded computing applications.

I remember faintly from the early days that there where 486 machines with real 50MHz bus. However I believe stability was an issue. I remember that many of these 50 MHz machines had EISA mainboards?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had the same problem, can't test my SX-16! But iirc I have read somewhere that the ASUS SP3 board has unofficial jumpers so you can set it lower. Mine blew up so can't test this myself. I need to go now and don't have a link but it was noted on winhistory.de, the pentium slowdown project 😉

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 12, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Some (earlier/mid-time) 486 mainboards have a socketed crystal oscillator so you can define the clock speed by buying/salvaging the right oscillator. But you can try to overclock your CPU too.

1+1=10

Reply 4 of 12, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks a lot for everyone's replies. I decided to set the jumpers on a 486 mobo for a 25MHz CPU, and the (overclocked) 20MHz CPU POSTed OK. The CPU is OK. I may have an ASUS SP3 mobo in my collection. I can't remember. 🤣 If I find it, I'll see if I can figure out the 20MHz system jumpers! 😀

Reply 5 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:

Thanks a lot for everyone's replies. I decided to set the jumpers on a 486 mobo for a 25MHz CPU, and the (overclocked) 20MHz CPU POSTed OK. The CPU is OK. I may have an ASUS SP3 mobo in my collection. I can't remember. 🤣 If I find it, I'll see if I can figure out the 20MHz system jumpers! 😀

Back!

Heres the link that I mentioned earlier. Seems you can get the SP3 down to 8 Mhz!!
http://www.winhistory.de/more/386/xpmini.htm

It's in German so if your German isn't that great you might want to use google translate 😉

Reply 6 of 12, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Red Hill Guide suggested that most 486SX-25's were quite happy to run at 33MHz - indeed apparently a lot were illegally remarked and sold as a higher speed part. So I wouldn't be surprised at all if the 486SX-25's were higher speed parts that were binned by Intel to the lower spec. One could assume the same of the 486SX-20's.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 7 of 12, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Excellent - thanks a lot Tetrium! 😁

Reply 8 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I know the SX-16 (which is the slowest 486 ever made) was only used in some Dell models. Usually normal motherboards won't even support it (officially). I'm not sure about the SX-20 though.
I do know that, because the SX-16 and SX-20 were only used by very few OEM's, those are also one of the rarest Intel socket 3 chips around. Not sure about the SX-25 but I reckon it's a lot more common. The SX-33 seems to be one of the most common 486 chips ever 🤣!

Anyway, if you ever get your hands on an SX-16 (or SX-20), you should definitely keep it! 😉

retro games 100 wrote:

Excellent - thanks a lot Tetrium! 😁

np mate! 😉
I should test my SP3 to see if it still works (after I remove the blown cap), it's a shame really. Imo it's one of THE best Socket 3 mobo's around.
(probably should delete my last comment 🤣, I feel that everytime we mention motherboard xxx is really great, Ebay prices for xxx will suddenly double hehe 😜 )

Reply 9 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:

Second question, please retro people! I am looking at a GA486IM Rev 2 mobo. It's a 486 mobo. The PCB states that a system clock speed of 50 MHz is available. Please can someone suggest some CPUs that would work OK at 50 MHz? I would then buy one of these CPUs, just to see it run at 50 MHz. It would be interesting. I could either overclock a CPU, or run one that is designed for 50 MHz system operation.

Thanks a lot. 😀

I know some Intel DX4-100 had the option to set the multiplier to 2x or 3x (for 2x50Mhz)
Ofcourse theres also the Intel DX-50 but that chip's quite uncommon (you might want to just overclock an AMD DX-40 if you have any vintage cpu love 😜 ).
Some steppings of the Intel DX4 can be set to 2x or 3x but not all. I'll try to locate a list somewhere, I know I wrote it down once.

Edit: Found the list, it was rather easy 😉
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_80486DX4

Edit2: Found some more info. Apparently the Cyrix 5x86 had a 2x multiplier as well, for 2x50Mhz.
Note: The AMD 5x86 does NOT have a 2x multi!
Links:
http://motherboards.mbarron.net/cputable.htm (also mentions some AMD DX4's have a 2x multi)
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/cpu/fam/g4C5x86-c.html

Reply 10 of 12, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Awesome, thanks very much for the info! I was wondering, is it possible to do something a bit mad, and use either an Intel DX4-100 @ 50 MHz bus speed, or an AMD-X5-133ADZ (Am5x86-P75) @ 50 MHz bus speed? I am interested in seeing how far and fast a 486 can go! 😁

Reply 11 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:

Awesome, thanks very much for the info! I was wondering, is it possible to do something a bit mad, and use either an Intel DX4-100 @ 50 MHz bus speed, or an AMD-X5-133ADZ (Am5x86-P75) @ 50 MHz bus speed? I am interested in seeing how far and fast a 486 can go! 😁

You can overclock some AMD 5x86's to 3x50Mhz (some even to 4x40Mhz) but not all can be overclocked that much.

I did do some testing on a couple 486 mobo's of mine, trying out undocumented jumper settings to see what I could get (was trying to find 16Mhz fsb for my SX-16) and found out a couple of the most modern 486's actually have a setting for 60Mhz fsb! I can't remember really but one might have had a 66Mhz fsb). Anyhow, I only tested by booting, waiting till the speed was visible at the boot screen then shut down to prevent anything from burning up!
I posted it here around half a year ago?

Edit:Found the thread!
Link: Test:486 undocumented jumper settings
One board did actually have 60Mhz and 66Mhz jumper settings...according to the post screen at least

Edit2: Reading my old thread it would seem the maximum theoretical socket 3 cpu speed would be at 266Mhz! (4x66Mhz).

Last edited by Tetrium on 2010-11-24, 22:42. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 12 of 12, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had an AMD 486DX4 100 and I am 90% sure that I could select 2x or 3x multies because I remember trying it out as a DX2-50 and DX2-66.

So yea it would be interesting to see what scores a DX2-100 would get!

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel