VOGONS

First post, by jim78b

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i want connect a floppy drive 5" to my pc xt, i have all schematics, but i don't know how solder can you help me?please....what mean the column ov???
beside the signals?

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Filename
    Clipboard01.jpg
    File size
    82.48 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    it is the drive teac 5"
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    schneider db25 floppy ext.txt
    File size
    549 Bytes
    Downloads
    139 downloads
    File comment
    it is the pinout of my pc
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 9, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The OV prolly just is the corresponding ground pin ... seems useless, it is ... but that's how the 34 pin shuggart floppy interface is defined.

Additional possibly useless info: I'm not exactly familiar with the Schneider Euro PC, but I have a Schneider CPC (which is a unique 8bit design) ... that one can use virtually any PC floppy drive as long as you build a 1:1 cable (one side has the normal PC type connector, the other a centronics styled oned). Maybe it's the same on the Euro PC

Reply 4 of 9, by jim78b

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

there is my drive 5" with the cable connector it is 34pin i should make a connection to db25

Attachments

Reply 5 of 9, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What TEAC drive do you have?
They made a huge load of different ones, some allowing you to set options for the floppy drive, that might be required

This is most likely how such an adapter would be wired up (no guarantees tho):

DB25 (male) from EuroPC  Floppy connector 
1. /INDEX 8
2. NC -
3. /DRIVE SELECT 12
4. NC -
5. /MOTOR ON 16
6. /DIRECTION 18
7. /STEP 20
8. /WRITE DATA 22
9. /WRITE GATE 24
10. /TRACK 0 26
11. /WRITE PROTECT 28
12. /READ DATA 30
13. /SIDE 1 SELECT 32
14. +5 VOLT -
15. +5 VOLT -
16. +5 VOLT -
17. +5 VOLT -
18. POWER ON -
19. NC -
20. GND \
21. GND \
22. GND \
23. GND |- Any odd pin
24. GND /
25. GND /
26. GND /

You'll need an external +5/+12 volt power supply and make sure the floppy is jumpered as single (or double?) density.

I'd go as far and build you such an adapter, but considering there's no way I can make sure it's wired up correctly, I'd prefer not to, considering you might end up with a useless cable. Don't you have someone physically available to you who knows how to solder?

Reply 6 of 9, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've done that in the past for a very old 8086 laptop with broken floppy. It had a strange 26pin floppy. I'd managed to make a cable for a standard 34 pin floppy, but it couldn't fit in the laptop, as it's originall floppy was of very small height. It had an external floppy port, but I doubt if the wiring would be the same as the Schneider. I'd try Shock__'s wiring. And if you don't feel like soldering, just find an old printer cable with db25 on one side, cut it, and then do the same with a regular floppy cable, and you should be able to join the cables easier.

Reply 8 of 9, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On the standard drive, the odd numbers(1,3,5,...33) are ground cables. So if you try the that wiring that is mentioned above, you should connect them to the last (20-25) pins of the schneider. But if I remember well, the external floppies connected to the parallel port or a special port for that purpose, had 5v on the last pins of the db25 port.. I suppose that the schneider is different, but just in case, I would test the last pins using a multimeter.

Reply 9 of 9, by jim78b

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i power on my drive of 5 1/4" with external supply, even i will connect the dispair number(1,3,7,9,11etc) all to ...?can you make me a graphic of thath excuse me but i'm very poor in electronics and english!!!