VOGONS

First post, by Alphakilo470

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Earlier today, I met up with an older man who had a crazy stockpile of vintage hardware from Pentium times and before. Picked up a few hard drives, some cache chips for my Gateway 2000 computer, a 4mb Compaq PCI video card with a Matrox chipset and an IBM Model M keyboard.

I'll probably keep in touch with the guy; he seemed quite knowledgeable with anything from before the Pentium days (though if you talk about the internet or anything made after the late 90s, he'll stare at you with a befuddled look) and managed to provide some good conversation. For some reason, it appears the majority of his stockpile is old 72-pin and 1mb SIMMS (most of the 72 pin modules looked to be for the IBM PS/2 series; they'll fit in a newer Pentium or 486 box but probably won't work), MFM hard drives and IBM Model M keyboards. He also has tons of video cards; PCI, VLB, ISA and I wouldn't be surprised if he had an EISA card or two. He also has a stockpile of DIPP style memory chips. Place was really like a toy store for me.

Anyways, he says he's not into computers as much these days and wouldn't mind selling off a bunch of stuff. With that in mind, anyone who can cover a few dollars for him + shipping and gas (he's a good 45 minute drive from me), let me know if you need any parts. I think the only thing he's really short on is monitors, cases and power supplies but those can typically be found locally for cheaper than they'd cost to ship. I also don't think he has many, if any motherboards.

Reply 1 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Alphakilo470 wrote:

IBM Model M keyboards

Of course it's quite impossible to say anything for certain without knowing more details, but I reckon those alone might just be worth more than all the other stuff combined.

Reply 2 of 5, by Alphakilo470

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wish I could give more information but there was too much stuff for me to give a thorough assessment which is why I just said anyone who needs a part for their vintage rig to simply tell me what they need and/or want. I did notice he had a few ISA and PCI cards with TSENG chipsets, tons of 32-pin memory chips. I think the majority of his video cards, however, have Cirrus chipsets; almost all are 1mb. He had a few 256kb Paradise ISA cards. I figure the model Ms would be the most likely items to find a buyer though. BTW, they're all from 1987 and 1988 and are the space saver models which lack the numeric pad; they also all appear to have PS/2 connectors.

For the really obscure, the guy has an entire skid of what looks to be mostly Seagate ST-225s. He also has a couple of AC adapters for the PowerBook Duo/2300/1400 series along with a big box of any accessory you'd ever need for a Newton.

Reply 3 of 5, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Next time you're there, how about taking a lot of pictures, so the rest of us can at least enjoy some window shopping and see how the exotic goods are stacked on the shelves in this veritable toy store of yours? 🤣
(if he'll let you, that is ?)

Reply 4 of 5, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd offer him a KG or Cubiq price for the whole lot. Test everything and put it on ebay but before doing that give us a chance to buy some parts for cheap 🤣

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 5, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bestemor wrote:

Next time you're there, how about taking a lot of pictures, so the rest of us can at least enjoy some window shopping and see how the exotic goods are stacked on the shelves in this veritable toy store of yours? 🤣

This sounds good, I'm sure theres some interesting parts to be discovered 😉