VOGONS

Graphics cards

Topic actions

First post, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My graphics card collection grows, although slower than ever because Christmas ruined me for a while. I'm trying to aquire a good clean model of the most notable graphics cards released from the start of the 3D revolution back in the late 90's. I've probably owned 90% of them over the years but so far I have...

MATROX MYSTIQUE 2MB PCI
3DFX VOODOO 4MB PCI
3DFX VOODOO 2 8MB PCI
RIVA TNT2 (VIPER 770) 32 AGP
GEFORCE 2 ULTRA 64MB AGP
GEFORCE 3 TI500 64MB AGP
GEFORCE 4800SE 64MB AGP
GEFORCE FX 5950 ULTRA 256MB AGP

I'm working my way onwards, next will be either an ATI 1950XT or maybe an HD2900xt... but I need to go backwards too. Looking for the ultra rare ATI Rage Fury Maxx. Almost there... almost. 😜

Reply 1 of 8, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Keep up the good work! 😀

I have an ATI Rage Fury MAXX and i know they are really hard to find these days...

Reply 2 of 8, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you get the pass through cables for the voodoos?
I haven't found any like it that weren't 6 feet long.

Reply 3 of 8, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found some 12" VGA leads on Ebay which work perfectly with my SLI system. They are probably better that the original Voodoo passthrough cables anyway, apparently they were rather poor quality cables and could degrade the signal slightly.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 4 of 8, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Luckilly, I had 2 pass through cables from older voodoo 2 cards that I have owned years ago at the back of my bits drawer. I even found the old SLI cable that me and a friend made out of a floppy cable, but if I remember it only half worked. The frame rates improved dramatically and I could run games in 1024x768, but the pallette was corrupted and every other line was darker. I tested both voodoo 2's individually and they were fine. Intricate job though, creating an SLI cable.

There are a few Voodoo's and Voodoo 2's on ebay most of the time, but the number of cables are dwindling month by month.

About to bid on an x2900 xt now, and eyeing up a tasty looking Gainward 6600GT. All nvidia Gainwards look cool - RED WONZ GO FASTAAA! 😁

Reply 5 of 8, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looking at your Geforce collection, you should probably skip the 6600GT and go for a 6800 instead, either a GS, GT or Ultra. Then a 7950GX2 and an 8800 GTX/ Ultra to round off years 2004- 2007. superb....😁

Reply 6 of 8, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes I think an AGP 6800 should be the last AGP card of the Geforces I collect. I was thinking of getting a 7950GT AGP, but maybe a PCIe 7950GX2 would be better, and easier to find!

I just got a Gainward Geforce 2 MX400 from Ebay in mint condition for £5 including P&P, so the shelf above my main PC should look like a cool little historical timeline now.

Funny how over the years I sweated blood to get some of these cards, and now I have built an entire collection for about £100. I paid more than that for my Maxi Gamer 3Dfx 4mb back in '97.

Ah... good times!

PS. One of my favourite cards I've ever owned was an nvidia 6800XT, as it was the card I bought with my new Athlon 64 build which was a return to owning a PC after 4 years without one. I unlocked the card with rivatuner the day I built the system, and the entire machine just blew me away. How far things had come from 2001-2005! 😮 😁

Reply 7 of 8, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Iris030380 wrote:

Yes I think an AGP 6800 should be the last AGP card of the Geforces I collect. I was thinking of getting a 7950GT AGP, but maybe a PCIe 7950GX2 would be better, and easier to find!

Yes, IMHO the 6000-series should be the last AGP card for any collector. 7000 series and above are native pcie cars, with the AGPs being ported over. In any case, few AGP systems are powerful enough to benefit anything more than a 6000 series.

Iris030380 wrote:

Funny how over the years I sweated blood to get some of these cards, and now I have built an entire collection for about £100. I paid more than that for my Maxi Gamer 3Dfx 4mb back in '97.

😁 heheh, yes... Thats the reason I've come to the conclusion it's not worth paying more than $200 for a card these days...

Reply 8 of 8, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just spent a day on Ebay and searched for Cards being sold local to me... turned up a LOT of nice kit - so after sending out pleading messages have managed to get these babies and actually pick them up in person...

3Dfx VooDoo 1 TV 4MB PCI (woohoo!)
GF 3 Ti 200 with nice blue PCB and matching HS's 64MB AGP
GF 7950 Asus (sweet looking card, GT version) 256MB PCI-eX

Looking to build a SS7 system soon so the V1 will come in handy - and seen an Aladdin SS7 board with AGP and 5 PCI on ebay from my favourite seller going cheap. He actually owes me £10 come to think of it... 😮 😁