VOGONS

A good day at the dump...

Topic actions

First post, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yesterday, I went to the dump to get rid of stuff. Since I had some PC stuff too, I had to go to the PC container. There I found a stylish looking mATX case (silver & black) in good condition with a winXP license sticker. Inside there still was a mobo with cpu and fan. Without checking further I took it along. I also saw a busted mobo, which still had a socket 775 cpu in it, which I took out and along too.

I checked the CPU in my ASrock 865 Conroe and it worked fine. Celeron D with 2.8 GHz. Since I had no 775 spare for testing, it came really handy!

When checking out the mATX sys, I soon noticed that my AGP card would not fit, cause it has PCI-e already. Using PCI and some old Ram and PSU, I discovered that this system works too. It is based on an Athlon64 3500+

I should throw away more old stuff! 😁

Reply 1 of 31, by Hater Depot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's sad to think how much usable stuff is being throw away every day.

Korea Beat -- my cool translation blog.

Reply 2 of 31, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hater Depot wrote:

It's sad to think how much usable stuff is being throw away every day.

Yes, not just working older tech but the fact that it wasn't properly recycled to begin with 😜

We have a couple of local groups that recycle older computer tech that the volunteer's test and retest and make usable working computers out of them for folks on limited incomes, like families with children so they can have some to at least use for email and such.

I like to donate older tech that I have too many of to places like this or others that can properly recycle it too.

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 3 of 31, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know what its like in other countries, but over here all the discarded computer stuff gets recycled for scrap metal such as gold and copper.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 4 of 31, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ux-3 wrote:

I soon noticed that my AGP card would not fit, cause it has PCI-e already. Using PCI and some old Ram and PSU, I discovered that this system works too. It is based on an Athlon64 3500+

What board is it? 😀

Good find!!! Well done hehe 😁

Reply 5 of 31, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know the feeling- just built a complete P4 system out of discarded junk and giveaways. Using it as a kitchen PC when I'm too lazy to go upstairs to my study. People are too wasteful nowadays.

Reply 6 of 31, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

What board is it? 😀

Some Asus for Fujitsu-Siemens: A8NE-FM/S

I wonder if I can flash the Fujitsu Siemens Bios with a regular Asus bios and OC the thing?

Retro PC warning: The things you own end up owning you.

Reply 7 of 31, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That board model appears to be a custom job specifically for Fujitsu, so it's unlikely any other BIOS will work on it. If it's an Award BIOS you may be able to unlock some hidden options with Modbin, though. I've had success with it on a few boards.

Reply 8 of 31, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Unfortunately, some stuff gets thrown away for a perfectly good reason. It is all too easy to end up with parts defective in subtle ways that you won't realize until after you've spent hours upon hours trying to get them to work.

(I found an OCZ 700W PSU recently which, although it would power on, had the astonishing ability to make a perfectly functional Windows 7 system slow down to an unstable crawl. I didn't even know faulty PSUs could do that.)

Reply 9 of 31, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

That board model appears to be a custom job specifically for Fujitsu, so it's unlikely any other BIOS will work on it.

The Mobo exists without the s at the end. The manual even shows the bios to accept FSB changes. But again, it was for free...

Jorpho wrote:

Unfortunately, some stuff gets thrown away for a perfectly good reason. It is all too easy to end up with parts defective in subtle ways that you won't realize until after you've spent hours upon hours trying to get them to work.

The fact that the XP licence sticker was still on a very nice looking and intact case decreases that chance. And those two things were the reason of taking it in the first place. But of course, either the mobo or the Athlon may have a problem. I don't even know if I ever build a system on it. I never had either an Athlon64 nor a Pentium4 based system.

Reply 10 of 31, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you want to really test out the components then download and burn to cd the UltimateBootCD.

It has tools like Prime and Memtest along with other diagnostics for testing.

This way you can attempt to verify the compnents appear to be in working order.

Reply 11 of 31, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I just installed XP and ran 3Dmark06. Works without flaw. Scored over 4000.

Reply 12 of 31, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

People have you ever heard of James Burgett of ACCR and Aftermath Technologies ? He is one sick, and cool dude. And I mean that in the most positive way possible. He is a guy, I admire, and if he ever reads this. Then James Burgett has an admirer in Denmark, thanks to Discovery. And me reading up upon him on the internet after I saw the Discovery show.

Reply 13 of 31, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DonutKing wrote:

I don't know what its like in other countries, but over here all the discarded computer stuff gets recycled for scrap metal such as gold and copper.

Which is absolutely the WORST form of recycling. It is better to repurpose older computers than to break them up for scrap metal and parts.

Reply 14 of 31, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

Which is absolutely the WORST form of recycling. It is better to repurpose older computers than to break them up for scrap metal and parts.

It's a nice idea - but only if you have enough volunteers willing to sort out the parts and test them and install some flavor of Linux on them (which, depending on the age of the hardware, might be specialized and/or outdated). And then can find people who actually want an old computer running some flavor of Linux. And you're probably going to need volunteers to train them, too.

Not to mention the problem of finding functional monitors for all of them. LCDs are fragile, and CRTs are a pain to store and to haul around.

...Actually, I suppose installing Windows might still be okay if the case has a sticker on it. I'm not sure how that works.

Reply 15 of 31, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Jorpho: James Burgett does that with hardware. He installs Linux, and teaches people how to use their computer with Linux on. Which I think is so awesome.

Reply 16 of 31, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I agree but apparently someone makes more money in scrap metal.
There are a few charity organizations here that take donations of obsolete equipment and send them overseas - which is where we send our old stuff at work.

But anything at the dump goes to scrap.
Unless people like me get their hands on it first 😀

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 17 of 31, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What we treasure, others take for granted. 😀

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 18 of 31, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:

What we treasure, others take for granted. 😀

True dat, many folks treat their old PC and other Technology as a commodity, basically a throw away item.

I'll just get another one that is faster and cheaper then this hear model....

Reply 19 of 31, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In my country there are people that actively hunt for 'scraps', at the local recycling stations or the dumps... 🤣
(and these are not poor people or anything, many are probably potential Vogons members)

Here's a link to a discussion about the topic:
http://www.diskusjon.no/index.php?s=1ed707183 … howtopic=515540

While most of you cannot read it, at least notice the number of replies/pages in that thread (7453/373!), heh...
(views: 627503!!)