VOGONS

Formerly Windows 3.1 trouble, now windows 98 trouble.

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 123 of 140, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dosquest wrote:

I have told you before, the installer you gave me won't run in win32, but it's to smart and wont run in the dos shell of win32, and, dos6.22 can't see fat format drives so I can't use a bootdisk to install it!

That's because you downloaded the wrong drivers. For DOS7 you'll need the drivers labelled "Basic DOS-level utilities for use in Windows 95 MS-DOS mode or a Windows 95 Command Prompt only boot".

Here is a google search which will point to the drivers on Creative's site.

Reply 124 of 140, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These just seem to be utilities, see below,
* PLAY.EXE v1.03
* RECORD.EXE v1.03
* AWEUTIL.COM v1.35
* DIAGNOSE.EXE v4.04
* MIXERSET.EXE v2.15
Oh, also @TheMAN I did try the other drivers in command prompt only and got the same result.

Reply 126 of 140, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay, I was able to install the windows 9X drivers, I have yet to sucessfully install the dos drivers, when I run doom I only get sfx because the windows sb16 drivers are not what the games requires and I really need dos drivers, but as you can see installing dos drivers on top of win9x has been a hassle.

Reply 127 of 140, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ok, then you need to download the full installer which installs all the windows apps:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?gmjiz0mkgzg

unzip and put them to 4 floppies
run the installer, READ CAREFULLY what it says in it... it will have a selection for the windows directory... make sure you change it to "NONE" so that it doesn't do anything to windows... it's not my fault if you don't do this and b0rk your win98

yes, it'll install win3.1 apps and crap you don't need, but it will have the DOS drivers you need... installer is more stupid and should run fine even in DOS 7.1... I did a test install a week ago on another similar creative installer and it worked fine

YOU MUST INSTALL CTCM FIRST BEFORE YOU INSTALL THIS!!!

Reply 128 of 140, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does this include ctcm? Or will I have to track that down?
Do I copy the arj file to the diskett also for just the folders?
Okay, doom still says my irq is set to high and it wants me to manually edit my sound card's irq.

Last edited by dosquest on 2011-02-28, 05:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 131 of 140, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On the top right of your posts, theres this very tiny 'c'. Press it so you can edit your old post. You don't need 3 separate posts to post 3 lines of text.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 132 of 140, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

HAHHAHA you made my day... you don't know what an ARJ file is? Ok, it's like a ZIP or RAR file, only nobody uses it anymore and it's old skool like ZIP.... you need to extract the thing and it'll be in 4 separate directories... copy each directory to each floppy, files ONLY, NOT the directory with it

and like I said... you need to install CTCM first!!! what makes you think it'll come with it when I said that?
the answer is NO, it doesn't come with it, and you must install it first! you already downloaded it, so install that crap first!