Topic actions

Reply 120 of 139, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

If you need something faster, just get faster retro parts 🤣

Exactly. There aren't many reasons why you would overclock a retro system nowdays.
Anyway, if you're desperate to overclock, your board is holding you back.

Reply 121 of 139, by olivil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK I received the Voodoos, can't test them yet as I'm still missing stuff, any guide on where/how to get the drivers running? 😀 Is there a big repository of patches for the game?

Reply 123 of 139, by olivil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

And if I'm running pure DOS 6.22, I'd install the Win9X drivers?

EDIT: Alright I understand I don't have to install any driver and I get support with game-per-game patches. I am really thinking about installing Win98 to get FAT32 support, but to get DirectX too. Would I see a performance/compatibility hit going from DOS 6.22 to Win98SE?

If my Pentium is made with ceramic, do I need a fan? i'm missing like a millimeter of space for the voodoos 😖

Reply 124 of 139, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Basically all Socket 7 CPU's will need a HSF. There are rare exceptions involving certain chips and underclocking, but that's about it.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 127 of 139, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
olivil wrote:

Anybody has the Windows 98SE Boot Setup Floppy? (The one that redirects to the installation CD-ROM)

Redirects to the CD? Not sure what you mean. Check out boot disk for the Win98SE floppy. From there, you can FDISK, FORMAT then run the Win98SE's setup.exe on the CD. Is that what you mean?

Reply 129 of 139, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:
olivil wrote:

Anybody has the Windows 98SE Boot Setup Floppy? (The one that redirects to the installation CD-ROM)

Redirects to the CD? Not sure what you mean. Check out boot disk for the Win98SE floppy. From there, you can FDISK, FORMAT then run the Win98SE's setup.exe on the CD. Is that what you mean?

I think he means that if he tries to create a bootdisk from within Windows, Windows wants you to insert the W98 cdrom 😉

And agrees with RG100, bootdisk.com is the easy way out 😉

May I also suggest you download a floppy imaging program? That way you can create floppy "iso" files, wherever you need somekind of bootdisk, you can simply burn one right away instead of having to hunt down one of your old ones or creating a new one 😉

I personally use winimage version 4 (It's a VERY old version, but works for me 😉 )

Reply 130 of 139, by tannerstevo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No, it's not the boot disk, I had one of the disks he is talking about but it won't work for some reason. It came with a oem cd marked as for a dell.

Reply 131 of 139, by olivil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The thing is I have a genuine Win98SE OEM installation CD I can boot from, but when it restarts to continue the installation, I get ATAPI CD-ROM Boot: Failure for some reason, like if the drive didn't spin fast enough, I can only boot from the CD after a cold reboot (power-off, power-on). Which of course, restarts the whole installation procedure.

I KNOW I should not have to boot from the CD after it restarts, however after the ATAPI CD-ROM Boot: Failure message, where you usually have ''Starting MS-DOS...'' or whatever OS, I get an infinite flashing underscore and can't finish the installation.

Reply 132 of 139, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tannerstevo wrote:

No, it's not the boot disk, I had one of the disks he is talking about but it won't work for some reason. It came with a oem cd marked as for a dell.

Ugh...I stay clear of any Dell/HP/Compaq cdrom stuff. Better is to install the normal OEM or Retail software. I'm not touching those 🤣!

The only exception would be the XP recovery disk for some of these systems, but if it's my pick, it's either normal OEM or Retail, not that proprietary OEM crap 😜

Reply 133 of 139, by olivil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying again, on another hard drive that I preformated in Fat32x, I'll keep you informed 😜

@Tetrium: I'm either on a mac or on linux, so I use dd to write .bin images to my floppy 😜

EDIT: It works, don't ask me why.

Reply 134 of 139, by tannerstevo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:
tannerstevo wrote:

Ugh...I stay clear of any Dell/HP/Compaq cdrom stuff. Better is to install the normal OEM or Retail software. I'm not touching those lol!

The only exception would be the XP recovery disk for some of these systems, but if it's my pick, it's either normal OEM or Retail, not that proprietary OEM crap :P

It's not "proprietary OEM crap" it is a regular disk with a dell sticker on the manual.

Reply 135 of 139, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tannerstevo wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
tannerstevo wrote:

Ugh...I stay clear of any Dell/HP/Compaq cdrom stuff. Better is to install the normal OEM or Retail software. I'm not touching those 🤣!

The only exception would be the XP recovery disk for some of these systems, but if it's my pick, it's either normal OEM or Retail, not that proprietary OEM crap 😜

It's not "proprietary OEM crap" it is a regular disk with a dell sticker on the manual.

pics?

Reply 138 of 139, by olivil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright, I got the AWE64 out, running a dual boot DOS 6.22 and Win98SE to get more from my Voodoos (still can't try SLI, I didn't receive the shorter ATI card..) although my FPS are kind of disappointing, around 15FPS in Unreal Gold at 800x600 maxed out, 12-15 fps in Half-Life 640x480. This may be because of my CPU/RAM bottleneck? (I now have 32MB, I guess a slot or a ram stick stopped working, it's seated properly and can't have it working, anyhow I have 2x128MB sticks coming in)

Turned out the deal for the MT-32 broke off, spent the money on a K6-2/300AFR (AND a K6/300AFR by mistake... if anybody's interested, olivil475.at.gmail.dot.com) instead, my board supports 4.5x66MHz @ 2.2V. Will I still be able to disable L1/L2 cache to get slower speed? I enjoyed this trick. 😜

Also is there any faster CPU other than the K6-2/333AFR that can fit my board?
I can support up to 5.5 freq. multiplier, up to 83MHz, 2.2-2.6-2.8-3.2V.
At this point, should I be better off having a P2 with a slot 1 motherboard (and AGP?)?

It's funny how this setup is getting me more interested in early 3D acceleration 😜,
Though my goal is to have a great machine that can handle most EGA/VGA games and up to 1998-1999.

Should I take some pics when everything is done before a screw the case close? 😀

Reply 139 of 139, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
olivil wrote:

Also is there any faster CPU other than the K6-2/333AFR that can fit my board?
I can support up to 5.5 freq. multiplier, up to 83MHz, 2.2-2.6-2.8-3.2V.
At this point, should I be better off having a P2 with a slot 1 motherboard (and AGP?)?

Just a friendly advice: When asking a question like this, please also write what board it is for, so helpful people won't have to wade through pages of posts just to find out 😉
It helps in making things easier for the people who are willing to make things easier for you ;D

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!