VOGONS

Sb16 trouble

Topic actions

First post, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm having trouble with my sb16 pnp card, I get sfx out of the cards audio jack and i get the music channel out of the on board earphone jack, why is that?
Edit: The game I am testing is a build game, doom and heretic.

Reply 2 of 21, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is win98 se it has some cheap ass windows onboard sound card, it is a dell optiplex gx110 it has a Pentium III 500mhz 512mb ram and a ati 3d rage pro agp.

Reply 3 of 21, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

FM music is know to play through several devices if the machine has one.

e.g. if you have 2 Sound Blaster cards. It's because you can't change the port of FM (well only on a few games).

See that's why you should boot into DOS and not this Dos inside Windows BS 🤣

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 21, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If I have windows installed, can I partition the disk to then install dos 6.22 without messing with windows?

Reply 5 of 21, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would wipe the drive and install DOS 6.22 and nothing else...

Reply 6 of 21, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Then how would I play early win 9x programs?

Reply 7 of 21, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dosquest wrote:

Then how would I play early win 9x programs?

You don't!

Build another machine for that.

Reply 8 of 21, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Doom and hexen aren't build games - they use the doom engine. duke 3d, blood and shadow warrior are build engine games.

What onboard earphones jack are you talking about? Can you take a picture of it?

+1 for setting up a DOS 6.22 box for these games. Trying to run them under win98 is just going to confuse things. I think you should experiment and learn more about both OS's before trying to setup something as complex as dual booting.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 9 of 21, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

his system has on-board audio... it's just the matter of simply disabling it in the BIOS... it should be an option!

Reply 10 of 21, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's an easy solution for the time if you want to play without reformating you disk etc. Take a cable having 3.5mm jacks on both ends, and connect the line out of the first sound card to the line in of the second.

Reply 11 of 21, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks, I will try that. But, does anyone have any idea why it splits the sfx and music?

Reply 12 of 21, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mau1wurf1977 already told you 😒

It's because you have 2 sound devices. You'll need tO disable the inboard sound and configure your sb16 to use Port 388 for FM.

That's assuming the 'earphones' socket you are talking about is the on onboard audio out socket, and not the headphones socket on the front of your cd drive (in which case you've got a cd with audio tracks in there and it's playing music from that , not the game. Doom and hexen didn't have cd audio)

Reply 13 of 21, by olivil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Or simply check in your BIOS if you have the choice to choose which specific HDD you want to boot!
If so, find another HDD and install DOS 6.22, and all your DOS programs/games on it.

Since DOS 6.22 is FAT only, you'll see only the DOS partitions and have a nice standalone system.
On the other HDD, install Win98SE, with all your Windows stuff, and you can access the DOS partitions from Windows to tinker and stuff (if you want, you could even transfer files via USB in Windows to your DOS partitions.)

Now it's up to you from your BIOS to change which HDD you boot (either the DOS drive or the Win one.) And if you're ever tired of Windows, or build another PC, just yank the Windows drive out, and you have a nice native DOS system. It's also true the other way around.

Also consider that this way, each OS has its own drivers/hardware configurations. And if any of your drive fails, you still have a completely working system. 😀

Reply 14 of 21, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

okay, I disabled onboard sound and it works now. While going through the same box I found an ati graphics ultra A along with about 12 s3 trio64v+ cards also, and an 8X cd-rom. The cd-rom is GoldStar brand.

Reply 15 of 21, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Specs

Man, does this computer suck for DOS games

Don't bother with the other video cards for the time being. though i do recommend taking the rage out and just sticking with the onboard i751 controller, it's superior over the rage pro believe it or not

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 16 of 21, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The ati rage is integrated. I have yet to install any add on cards.

Reply 17 of 21, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

sol then 🙁

recommending a decent PCI do-it-all card is hard. Where are you planning to go with this p3 500? It has no ISA or AGP slots, it's primarily onboard driven, and it's just something to go ie5 on the net with to check out teh ebays

Last edited by leileilol on 2011-03-08, 01:52. Edited 1 time in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 18 of 21, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

But, as for the other ati card. How does that one preform?

Reply 19 of 21, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

like C with a capital R, A and P. Don't ever bother with it for 3d games it just sucks

- No alpha blending modulation (goodbye fade smoke)
- Alphatest extremely blocky and limited
- Alpha blending is in SOFTWARE (oh crap!)
- i've had black screens in quake on it once, the onboard variation has very spotty VESA compatibility
- drivers from the infamously bad ATI driver team era

A Voodoo2 + S3 Trio 64V combo will solve all of the above issues 😜

apsosig.png
long live PCem