VOGONS

First post, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just got an Intel AP440FX board (together with two 200MHz/256K PPro CPUs and a dual-socket8 IBM board, but I'll get to that later), and I would like to test it...

The problem is I'm not sure I have what to power it up with - there is a "primary power supply connector", which is identical to the AT power connector, and an "external 3.3V power supply connector". Is there any chance that the board would start without the external 3.3V? I mean, just using 5V from the main power connector and the on-board VRM to provide 3.3V for the CPU...

Reply 1 of 4, by PeteUK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That looks like an old 6-pin AUX connector that some of the P3 boards/psu's came with.

I'd say just try firing it up using the main PSU connnector and see what happens.

Reply 2 of 4, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, nothing happens. I tried both CPUs, several pairs of SIMMs, both the on-board Virge/DX and an ISA Trident plugged into the riser card - the keyboard LEDs blink once at power-up, the CPU fan is spinning, the VRM is getting warm, but there's no video signal.

I can't even find an example of such PSU - the 6-pin aux power connector seems to be mentioned only related to ATX (and it has two +3.3V pins and one +5V), while this mainboard's manual says there should be three +3.3V pins.

Will keep digging...

Reply 4 of 4, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The only places I've ever seen that connector was on OEM PSUs out of LPX systems. I have a couple of Astec PSUs out of '95-'96 era IBMs that have the connector (model number API-3186S, to be specific), and IIRC, on those it was hooked to the riser card. So that's one possible source. Otherwise, the ATX->AT converter is probably the best bet.