VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've just done a clean installation of Windows 98 on to a compact flash drive. I'm having some problems installing a video card, and also VIA's service pack. I would like to experiment with different video driver installs and VIA service packs. One thing I would like to do is back up a clean win98 installation, and then if things go wrong after that, I can "roll back" to my initial clean installation.

If I plug in my newly installed win98 CF drive in to my main Windows XP box, what software do I need to run in order to make a full back up of this CF drive? I will need to be able to back up everything, including the boot block, etc. Thanks for any advice.

Reply 1 of 11, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Easy!

1. You can clone the drive (e.g. 2 GB > 2GB and make a clone)
2. You can take an image (2GB > Image file on your desktop). You can restore that image file later back onto your 2GB CF card

I'm a big Fan of Acronis. If you have a WD drive in your system, there is a free WD version of Acronis True Image on the WD support site.

It allows you to clone the drive, and take an image.

There are lots of other programs such as Norton Ghost and god knows what.

Fat32 partition is easy peasy for any of these tools.

I'm sure there are plenty of free tools as well, I just don't know which ones. But I do swear by Acronis....

Reply 2 of 11, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What you want is a drive imaging program. Norton Ghost and Acronis TrueImage are the most popular ones, but there are also free ones, like Clonezilla.

Like Mau1wurf, I'm personally partial to Acronis.

Reply 3 of 11, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for the tip about Clonezilla. I always love free software, but when you don't get recommendations, I never trust if it's for real, or a virus 🤣

I will check it out....

At the NCHC's Classroom C, Clonezilla SE was used to clone 41 computers simultaneously. It took only about 10 minutes to clone a 5.6 GBytes system image to all 41 computers via multicasting!

Wow, I would love to see something like this in action.

RG100, this is awesome.

You boot Clonezilla from a CD, and then (if you have a DVD burner) can you backup the 2GB CF card onto a DVD-R or DVD-RW!

Reply 4 of 11, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've never actually tried Clonezilla, never had any reason to, so don't take my mention of it as a recommendation... it just happened to be the only free one I could think of by name. It may work well, or it may suck.

Reply 5 of 11, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks a lot for the info. 😀 I tried both suggestions. Acronis for WD is good because it's free. However, it won't "see" the CF, so I couldn't use it for my specific task. CloneZilla is good because it worked, but I had to run it via a boot CD. The problem with that is I couldn't use my machine for other tasks.

I would be interested in using any util that works at the Windows XP desktop, that can "see" a CF device. I have a really old copy of Acronis somewhere. I think it was the last version supported by Windows 98, but it should install OK on Windows XP. I remember it could "see" an external USB HDD. I also remember it was a bit unstable, especially if I ran it within w98, as opposed to a boot CD. Might be OK in wXP. Hopefully, it would be able to see my USB-based CF device. I'll see if I can find it...

Reply 6 of 11, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The problem with that is I couldn't use my machine for other tasks.

Why can't you just leave the CF in the other machine, and boot the software on that one? That's the way such software is intended to be used. Most of those sorts of software will support saving the image over a network to your main PC, or if you don't have it on a network, you can save it to an external USB harddrive/flashdrive, or if USB won't work, you can slave another IDE drive in there and use that.

Reply 7 of 11, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes that's good thinking, I'll do that. Thanks.

Reply 9 of 11, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yea Acronis allows for creation of a Boot CD (not sure if the WD version allows this).

The thing with the WD version though, and I think it's the same with the Seagate and other manufacturer-specific versions, is that they'll often only work for that specific brand of hard drive.

Reply 11 of 11, by EricWhite

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Try Handy Backup, it's reliable backup software for Windows. I have used several backup programs for years, and I recommend Handy Backup.
Hope it will work for you too.