VOGONS

First post, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just wondering. Why?

It looks like a PS/2 connector, except for the need for the bus card.

Is the need for the bus card that spelt it's own demise, whereas the PS/2 port preservered?

I just ordered the 0.99-cent "brand new" 6 pieces of bus mice you might have noticed on ebay. (Don't know why I ordered but 99 cents for 6 vintage bus mice in brand new condition ticked me off, I guess.) Yeah, I ordered a couple of bus cards separately.

I have a Microsoft mouse which comes with a PS/2 adapter. The actual end of the wire looks suspiciously like a bus connector.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 1 of 4, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Malik wrote:

Is the need for the bus card that spelt it's own demise, whereas the PS/2 port preservered?

I'd say this is part of the answer.

For the rest, I don't know for sure. Back when PS/2 became standard IBM was still a pretty big name in computer business (everything had to be IBM compatible 😜).

Perhaps MS bus mouse was proprietary? Or perhaps it was more difficult to implement? I don't know. Maybe check wiki? brb

Edit:wiki has the answer 😉

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 4, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well a big reason must have been the integration into the ATX form factor and PC97 specification. Why bother with another interface card when the specification had PS/2 mouse and keyboard? I'd imagine it's also the reason why serial mice died out too.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 4 of 4, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I guess electrically and functionally it is similar to a PS/2, minus the card?
(The bus port is not compatible with ps/2 port.)

The drivers - I wonder if ctmouse supports a bus mouse?

A (bus) board dedicated to a mouse sounds like going the extra mile for the mouse. I wonder if the board provided advantages (ignoring the requirement for an isa slot and possibly a more expensive initial investment for the card at that time) over it's serial and ps/2 counterparts. I wonder if more could have been done with the interface card and add extra hardware functionailty on it to add extra features?

(P.S. This is more like a post-mortem review. 😁)

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers