VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've got an Adlib sound card I'd like to test. I've searched the net, and I cannot find a Windows 3 driver for it. I wonder if there is one? If not, does that mean you can't use it in Windows 3? Is there a way of telling Windows 3 to use this hardware, without the need for a specific driver?

On a related topic, does anyone have the installation software for the Adlib card? I notice that Vogons user Cloudschatze made a post on the QuestStudios website about the Adlib card. He has software links for it, and they consist of Jukebox and other apps, but no Windows driver - and I'm guessing this is because there isn't one. However, regarding timelines, the Adlib card and Windows 2.0 were both released in 1987, so perhaps there is a Windows driver for it?

On an unrelated topic, I notice that the Creative CM/S / Gameblaster card was released at about the same time, in 1987/8. Is it possible to use this card with Windows 3? Does anyone have a driver for it, please? Finding software for these two cards is difficult. Perhaps Cloudschatze has listed all of the software available for the Adlib card in his QuestStudios post? If so, that just leaves the Gameblaster software to track down...

Reply 1 of 16, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Doesn't windows include an OPL2 driver?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 2 of 16, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

That was my thought too. I'm fairly certain I saw something with adlib in the Windows for Workgroups driver selection.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 16, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I went to the Windows (3.11; wfwg) Control Panel, and ran the Drivers applet. I clicked on Add, to add a driver, and in the drivers selection box, there was an entry called "Ad lib". I selected it, and it asked for the Windows 3 disk #7. (I'm using a Dell OEM diskette set, consisting of about 10 disks!). After a reboot, I went back to the Drivers applet in Control Panel, and the Ad Lib driver was listed. However, if I run the program calleded Media Player (inside Accessories), it complains about:

"There are no MCI device drivers installed on your system. Use the Drivers option in Control Panel to install MCI device drivers."

Am I missing the point here? Should I be running a different music playing program, to experiment with playing .MID MIDI files? I notice inside the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM folder, there is a file called msadlib.drv. I guess that's a good sign. I also notice inside the file SYSTEM.INI (inside the C:\WINDOWS folder) that there's this line inside the [boot] section:

sound.drv=mmsound.drv

BTW, the Adlib card works fine. I even got it working inside Windows 3.1, by using a 3rd party driver + software. I found it here, on the cd.textfiles website. Using this 3rd party driver + music player, I could listen to .ROL music. Perhaps that's why the Microsoft Media Player didn't work - it won't accept these .ROL files.

I'm sorry to sound like a complete idiot. The reasons for this is because I am one, and also I'm new to Windows 3, and also I'm fairly new to the Adlib card.

Reply 4 of 16, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As far as I know MCI driver is for PCM wave, which the adlib does not support.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 5 of 16, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

MCI isn't strictly for PCM - MCI generally is the multimedia interface Windows 3.x uses. This is before the whole DirectShow thing.

So, install [MCI] Midi Sequencer

Media Player only accepts AVI, WAV and MID (maybe RMI too)

Reply 6 of 16, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I double-checked the currently installed Drivers, and there is already an entry called "[MCI] MIDI Sequencer" listed in the Drivers section. I went to the mdgx.com website, and found this -

Microsoft Media Player2 (WMP) v5.2 Beta 16-bit for Windows/WfWG 3.1x [5.42 MB]. --> Plays NetShow (ASF), Video (MPEG, AVI), Audio (WAV), Music (MID, RMI), CD (CDA) etc.

The description may be innacurate ("...plays MID..."), but I decided to install it. This installation has added a lot of additional drivers to the Drivers section -

win_1.jpg
win_2.jpg

Some of them look useful. Perhaps some of these will help me run some of old Windows 3.x "multimedia" games? Anyway, after the Microsoft Media Player version 5.2 was installed, I tried running it. Unfortunately, a white error message box popped up saying:

FILE ERROR
Cannot find WINSOCK.DLL

Any ideas please people? Thanks a lot for any help. 😀

Reply 7 of 16, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Obviously you need a TCP/IP stack for Windows 3.11:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/99891
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/111682

Microsoft still hosts TCP/IP stuff for WFW on its FTP server:

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/Clients/WFW/

You may also need Win32s to run the 32-bit version:

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/softlib/MSLFILES/PW1118.EXE

It does not support dial-up networking, so you will need a NIC with a NDIS 2.x or preferably a NDIS 3.x driver. You can find a setup guide here:

http://www.yale.edu/pclt/WINWORLD/WFWG311.HTM

Reply 8 of 16, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks a lot for the info! 😀 Unfortunately, I don't have a NIC in my PC , and so I was unable to add a new protocol (tcp/ip). I must add an adapter first, before I can add a new protocol, but I can't because I don't have one. It's a pity that I need to have a NIC, in order to play a MIDI tune. Oh well.

Perhaps there is a simpler Windows 3 based MIDI music player I can try? Failing that, I could abandon the idea of using the AdLib in Windows 3, and use a SoundBlaster instead. The Windows 3 support for the SB seems a lot better.

Reply 9 of 16, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Adding a NIC just for MIDI isn't worth the hassle, but think that you will also benefit from networking, file sharing and internet browsing on that machine.

I had written something else on my previous post and later I deleted it because I thought it would be unnecesary, but it was useful info after all; old 16-bit versions of Internet Explorer came with a TCP/IP stack and a dialer so they should work without a NIC. Check IE 3.x-5.x for Windows 3.1:

http://www.oldapps.com/internet_explorer.php

Another option, as you said, is using a simpler 16-bit MIDI player. A quick Google search gives me some interesting results. I can't recommend you a specific program because I never used any of them. But I still have the source code of an old 16-bit MIDI player that may work for you. I have attached the binaries. Sorry, it has a spanish-only UI right now, but if you find it useful, I could translate the UI to english.

Attachments

• Filename
    reprmidi.7z
    File size
    45.39 KiB
    Downloads
    393 downloads
    File comment
    Simple 16-bit MIDI player for Windows 3.x
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 10 of 16, by sklawz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi

back in the day we used to use trumpet winsock
on win3.1. it can be for used dialup modem or network lan
and i used it both ways in different circumstances.
this is so long ago i remember little but
trumpet still allow download for it here:

http://www.trumpet.com.au/index.php/downloads.html

this will give you winsock support why you need
it though it unknown to me.

bye

Reply 12 of 16, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks a lot for the extra info, people! 😀 I am going to test all of this out. Yesterday, I did manage to find a simple working MIDI player. It's called AJukeBox, and it can be found on the cd.textfiles website here. It works, except for one problem - I cannot hear the music being played. I wonder if the MS AdLib driver (msadlib.drv) is correctly installed? This driver is listed inside the Control Panel -> Drivers applet section, but inside the C:\WINDOWS\ SYSTEM.INI file, in the [boot] section, the sound line reads: sound=mmsound.drv. I wonder if that's correct? I changed it to sound=msadlib.drv, but Windows doesn't like this, and refuses to load.

I am guessing something here. I wonder if the MS Windows AdLib driver (msadlib.drv) was tested with the later 1990 release of the AdLib card, and not the one that I am using, which is the 1987 version. I wonder if there is a very small difference between these two cards? I noticed that the 3rd party Windows AdLib FM driver + music player called AdLib.zip (version 0.9) works OK, but the later updated version 1.0 found here doesn't. This causes a stack fault error, when I attempt to run its test diagnostic function, to test the AdLib port address of 388.

I will get the winsock stuff working on my test machine, and try Media Player. However, I don't think that will allow me to get the AdLib card working in Windows. It's not too important, because I think an old SoundBlaster is better suited for this. I will leave the AdLib card for pure DOS use. Thanks a lot.

Reply 13 of 16, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Notice that the winsock.dll error you found is related to that version of Media Player and not the AdLib itself. Therefore, without a TCP/IP stack you won't be able to play MIDI in Microsoft Media Player from a Sound Blaster, either. However, Sound Blaster drivers for Windows 3.x came with a complete bunch of software tools, including a Creative Media Player as far as I can remember. Ask here for those drivers if you can't find them.

Reply 14 of 16, by sklawz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

lo

whilst on the topic of the old adlib i have two manuals
here on my shelf.

one is called the "music synthesizer card juke box
playback program user guide" and the other
"music championship #1 basic concepts user guide" 😀

i can see about scanning them in if anyone is interested.

i lent my adlib to someone in around '92 i don't think
i will getting it back but seemed to have kept the
manuals but no floppies.

cya

Reply 15 of 16, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Re: SoundBlaster + Windows 3. I was successful with this, and got it working. I talked about this topic here.

Re: AdLib manuals. I spotted some resources online, including some manuals, from Vogons user Cloudschatze. It's here.

😀