VOGONS

First post, by kemot001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Reading this forum sometimes make me sad cause there is so many things i dont know which are trivial for most of users here 😖
And there was a time before i found this forum when i thaught i knew a lot about old computer hardware 😖
But lately i found something interesting and i thaught i would make this post

In the midi setup in win98 there is a Custom configuration (i do not see it in win xp ) where you can assing diffrent midi inputs for each instruments
it look like this :

d7ec9a42ef552cac57926a6150dfe7225637.jpg

I had no idea what it was for but lately since i have some sound cards decided to try to plug a few of them at once in my semi retro computer
and try to assing them for diffrent instruments in this custom midi setup.
Decided to use :

The recipe is 😀

one gravis classic as a classical card for midi

a58ece1e2adc3b50c5ba8f3f5a37629d15732.jpg

one santa cruz card but only as a host for db50xg card

8f7a133b736fabc9f17e66317fa5e63e7412.jpg

one diamond monster card
00c3d9313ac091e35538d7f5027d43aa415.jpg

once again only as a host for SW1/c card
d6eda615d0619dddb51d27863234dc049112.jpg

This is how it looks like :
b4b04fb1279990695e849a1179154bdd6312.jpg

Of course i spent some time making this all cards to work 🤣
esspecially gravis was very disobedient

In the midi custom setup i assigned diffrent midi inputs for different instruments (randomly by now )

38c19cd9f5ac562d412c2bd512d4f8c716792.jpg

I plug all line out and line in`s conected all cables

Now signal goes out from Gravis and goes to santa and from Santa to
Diamond

spent some time with the card setup , mixers and panels

64179f28392be77404fb6098597a876911250.jpg

And i must say i really like the result of mixing so different sound from so different cards toegether.
Some of my midi songs sounds really amazing 😀
Of course i will have to spend some time experimenting with the instruments assignment but even now the results are very promising !!!

ps
hope this is not trivial for you

My retro sound card collection
http://retrosoundcards.wordpress.com/

Reply 1 of 8, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That is a pretty amazing setup. I'd say that the GUS is the highlight of the cards for me because I used them a long time ago in a friends computer and to this day can't justify the prices I've been seeing them go for.
Still, I kinda wanna dig my soundcards up again and do the same thing with my SS7 computer. Which leads me to my ask, what computer did you use to host those beautiful cards?

Reply 3 of 8, by kemot001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Its based around Abit BE6-II ver 2 motherboard which i bought for about 45 polish złotych ( around 12 euro ) it came with a Intel Pentium III E – 1ghz and one 256 sdr ram

I got the case from old " burnt" computer my friend just give me.

Hard disk its seagate 13 GB it was the second hard drive i ever own i bought it like 10 yerars ago then when i bought new computer i throw it into some shelf and was really suprised its still works.

The video card its Nvidia Geforce MX 100/200 i bought it for 1 euro !

And of coure i made one very big mistake makeing this system i bought motherboard with only one isa slot (i did not know about this site then - i know its a pathetic excuse ) 🤣

Anyway its cost me really nothing its way of being perfect but its a good start

Reply 4 of 8, by kemot001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Awesome stuff mate. I'd stick an MT-32 or Sound Canvas somewhere in there too, since it also rocks!

MT-32 or Sound Canvas - man i would have to sell half of my collection to buy that

I'm trying to do something similar on my retro PC but haven't managed to yet.

Its a one hour work in case You have all the the necesary ingredients 😁

Reply 5 of 8, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
nemesis wrote:

That is a pretty amazing setup. I'd say that the GUS is the highlight of the cards for me because I used them a long time ago in a friends computer and to this day can't justify the prices I've been seeing them go for.
Still, I kinda wanna dig my soundcards up again and do the same thing with my SS7 computer. Which leads me to my ask, what computer did you use to host those beautiful cards?

I still get sticker shock looking at the prices they go for used. I guess not many of them were sold when they were new because of the high price and they are rare now.

Reply 6 of 8, by kemot001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
I still get sticker shock looking at the prices they go for used. I guess not many of them were sold when they were new because of the high price and they are rare now.

There are GUS clones like Primax SoundStorm Wave SOUND-M16B or SoundStorm Primax-M16C

9e2b01124163e918f45a47055fe0801115515.jpg

I bought it for 3 euro a few days ago on polish allegro
paid 5 euro with shipement 😁

Reply 7 of 8, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I picked up my GUS 2.4 for about $20.00 plus shipping

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ