VOGONS

First post, by DBob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi dudes.

I've got a 8086 PC, which will be a "mod-player", with the great support of GLX player. But, of course I need a sound card for this mission...

Gravis Ultrasound could be great, because of the less CPU usage...but will it work?

The FAQ said:

What machines will the GUS work with? You need an IBM compatible computer with at least a 286 processor. It needs to […]
Show full quote

What machines will the GUS work with?

You need an IBM compatible computer with at least a 286
processor. It needs to be at least a 386 if you want to use the GUS
with Windows.

Why a 80286 is required? Driver won't initialize the card? IRQ can't be higher then 7, that's the only limit I know.

Reply 1 of 6, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The initialization tool may use 286 opcodes and thus fail on an 808x. (Are you sure it's a 8086 and not a 8088?)

You can try the NEC V20/V30 CPU which has some 286 opcodes if these are the problem.

1+1=10

Reply 2 of 6, by DBob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's a NEC V20 @ 10 MHz.

The ISA buses are 16 bits, but the riser card connects to only a 8 bit bus via the motherboard (or at least, 8 bit like...never know what exactly inside of the riser card)

So you think, I should give a try? Let's buy some Gravis then 😎

Reply 3 of 6, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

If 16-bit DMA is missing it may be a problem...
Also the init tool may check the CPU and just abort.

1+1=10

Reply 5 of 6, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think he means that he uses an ISA riser card with 16bit slots, but it is connected on an 8bit slot on the board. I remember once trying a SB PRO2 on my NEC V20 board, and I think it worked.

Reply 6 of 6, by DBob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

he means that he uses an ISA riser card with 16bit slots, but it is connected on an 8bit slot on the board

Yep.

Maybe it is better to use a 286 of any type for this "mod-player" scenario...