VOGONS

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hiya!

As topic title, anyone knows if there is a hack or some sort of modification that improves the passthrough on voodoo 1 and 2 cards? maybe replacing those analog switches with better ones? dunno...

I've been searching the web for any clues and I did stumble upon Canopus solution with the witchdocrtor vga, seems awesome but impossible to find 🤣
(check it out here http://www.hardware-one.com/print_review.asp?reviews=36 )

Any tips on that?
thanks! 😊

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1 of 25, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes there is! Don't use the pass-through, but a dedicated VGA switching box.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 25, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Either I'm not very good at perceiving the video passthrough quality or I'm ignorant, but I never realized how much the degradation is when using a Voodoo 1 or 2. For me, connecting directly with the Riva128 or S3 Virge that I use, and, passing the same through a Voodoo 1 or 2 or 2 SLI, makes no difference. Or I don't realize the difference. Perhaps it's because of the short VGA pass-through cable that came originally with the Voodoo(s)?

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 3 of 25, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I do remember that it was quite an issue. Magazines would report about the quality of the pass-through and also comment on the quality of the supplied pass-through cable. Certain brands came with very thick pass-through cables which was recommended for higher resolutions.

Once you go 1600 x 1200, you should easily see the quality difference.

My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 25, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:

Either I'm not very good at perceiving the video passthrough quality or I'm ignorant, but I never realized how much the degradation is when using a Voodoo 1 or 2. For me, connecting directly with the Riva128 or S3 Virge that I use, and, passing the same through a Voodoo 1 or 2 or 2 SLI, makes no difference. Or I don't realize the difference. Perhaps it's because of the short VGA pass-through cable that came originally with the Voodoo(s)?

Same here, and for me the interference/wobbliness I get through my belkin kvm cable makes much more difference, though only when my phenom box - which isn't on th kvm - is turned on.

However I would say that using a voodoo3 the other day I was really impressed with the clarity so maybe I'm just used to the effect of v2 passthrough...

Reply 7 of 25, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for the answers 😀
I am using a 3rd party vga passthrough cable , it is a quality one to my knowledge... I do get blurriness even at 1024*768 , it is not much but I do notice it. Plus I am using a 1280*1024 lcd monitor so it is even more noticeable to me...
The voodoo3 is a nice card but I do not want to replace my creative riva128zx card because it is actually better in DOS...
I might try building my own passthrough cable using ide-like cabling , I did that on my amiga computers that also had passthrough cables between the chipset gfx and external gfx and I never noticed any kind of quality degration...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 9 of 25, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For you voodoo gurus 🤣 :

Just wondering, what is the difference between a regular V3 3000 or 2000 and a seemingly similar '3000 LC' or '2000 LC' model ?

As googling does not seem to give me much, so... 😒

Reply 10 of 25, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bestemor wrote:

For you voodoo gurus 🤣 :

Just wondering, what is the difference between a regular V3 3000 or 2000 and a seemingly similar '3000 LC' or '2000 LC' model ?

As googling does not seem to give me much, so... 😒

Haven't heard of the LC models?

As for the regular V3's

The Voodoo3 2000, 3000 and 3500 differed mainly in clock frequencies (memory and core were synchronous). The clock rates were 143 MHz, 166 MHz and 183 MHz respectively.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voodoo3

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 11 of 25, by maddmaxstar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RogueTrip2012 wrote:

As for the regular V3's

The Voodoo3 2000, 3000 and 3500 differed mainly in clock frequencies (memory and core were synchronous). The clock rates were 143 MHz, 166 MHz and 183 MHz respectively.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voodoo3

Voodoo3 3000 AGP came with TV-Out as well, and 3500 came in VIVO variant with a breakout box I believe. Not sure about the PCI versions.

= Phenom II X6 1090T(HD4850) =
= K7-550(V3-3000) =
= K6-2+ 500(V3-2000) =
= Pentium 75 Gold(Voodoo1) =
= Am486DX4-120(3DXpression+) =
= TI486DLC-40(T8900D) =
= i386sx-16+i387(T8900D) =

Reply 13 of 25, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I do remember that it was quite an issue. Magazines would report about the quality of the pass-through and also comment on the quality of the supplied pass-through cable. Certain brands came with very thick pass-through cables which was recommended for higher resolutions.

Once you go 1600 x 1200, you should easily see the quality difference.

How do you go 1600 x 1200 with Voodoo 1 or 2? V2 Sli is only good for 1024 x 768 normally.

Reply 14 of 25, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

My Orchid Righteous 3D (V1) blurs even at only 1024x768. Voodoo2 has less impact than that at least.

How are you doing 1024 resolution with a single V1 when 2 V2's are normally required for that?

Reply 16 of 25, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

We're talking about the pass-through cable. So lets say you have a Matrox card and are driving a large CRT at 1600 x 1200. With a V1 or V2 that 2D signal gets passed through the Voodoo and degrades the image quality.

So my suggestion was to bypass this all-together and simply use a VGA switching box. That way you get the signal directly from the Matrox and the Voodoo.

My YouTube channel

Reply 18 of 25, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

to be honest neither the external switch or a dual input monitor are acceptable solutions for me 🤣 , that's why I asked for improvement on existing passthrough cabling/switching relays...
Thanks for the suggestions though 😁

Reply 19 of 25, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:
swaaye wrote:

Voodoo 3 is superb.

A Voodoo3 3500 TV is even better. 😀

Well, when the TV out works, that is. I can't get the damn TV out working on my Voodoo3 3500 TV no matter what I do.

As for quality issues with the Voodoo and Voodoo2, I haven't noticed quality issues with the graphics card being passed into the Voodoo2(and I'm using a fairly long passthrough cable, a 6ft. VGA extension cable), but the quality out of the Voodoo2 itself isn't very good. The colors are dull(it's like if you put a gray film over everything) and while this isn't that apparent on a VGA monitor, when using a VGA to S-Video converter, there are vertical lines in the video signal. That might just be the converter, but I find that doubtful as no other graphics card passed into that converter has those lines.

Creator of The Many Sounds of:, a collection of various DOS games played using different sound cards.