Faulty LAPC-I

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 45, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

do we know what the differences (if any) between the versions are?

I checked with both Roland US and Japan a few years back, and neither group could find the Service Bulletin describing the specific changes from 1.00 to 1.02. It is known to resolve this issue, however:

http://queststudios.com/smf/index.php/topic,1 … 6.html#msg30286

The CM-32L, CM-64 (LA part), and LAPC-I all share the same control ROM, so I would suggest finding and burning the <cough>CM32L_CONTROL.ROM</cough> dump, which just happens to be v1.02. Otherwise, you can also purchase an EPROM directly from Roland (they're all out of the mask ROM chips, unfortunately).

Reply 21 of 45, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nasty cough you have there, Maybe you should try a lozenge... 😀

thanks for that I'll see how the upgrade goes 😀

Hmm I wonder if its worth upgrading my MT32 rev1 as well. Do these have EPROMs or are they mask ROMs?

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 22 of 45, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DonutKing wrote:

Hmm I wonder if its worth upgrading my MT32 rev1 as well. Do these have EPROMs or are they mask ROMs?

If you don't have the final version, 2.07, then I'd certainly recommend the upgrade. I've only ever seen this version in mask ROM form (obtained from Roland), but I imagine it can be dumped and burned to an EPROM as well. (I don't have the hardware to do so, mind you. 😀 )

Reply 23 of 45, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DonutKing wrote:

I looked into this. "Old" MT-32s (and potentially new ones) don't have mask ROM, they have PROMs that can only be written once. So of course you'd need a new blank PROM or EPROM to do the upgrade.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 24 of 45, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:
DonutKing wrote:

I looked into this. "Old" MT-32s (and potentially new ones) don't have mask ROM, they have PROMs that can only be written once. So of course you'd need a new blank PROM or EPROM to do the upgrade.

...?

Except for the final, mask ROM versions, Roland used EPROMs in most of their gear, all of which should be UV-erasable.

Reply 25 of 45, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll have to open mine up and see. Even if it is a non-erasable PROM, new flash EPROMs aren't that hard to come by. 😀

Reply 26 of 45, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cloudschatze wrote:
SquallStrife wrote:
DonutKing wrote:

...?

Except for the final, mask ROM versions, Roland used EPROMs in most of their gear, all of which should be UV-erasable.

It was a while ago when I looked into it (i.e. it wasn't just now, I wasn't too clear on that). You're probably right.

What do you gain by updating the ROM version? Hopefully that doesn't "fix" the bugs that old games exploit (the games that won't work on the "new" MT-32).

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 27 of 45, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am pleased to report that replacing the electrolytic caps seems to have fixed the issue. I've sat through the intro to both Monkey Islands without issue (previously the sound would die within a minute or so, plus the right channel has come back to life now), so hopefully that's the end of it 😀
I've yet to upgrade the ROM, that's next on the list.

Reply 29 of 45, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

what caps have you replaced DK? the ones near the output I assume? 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 30 of 45, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All the electrolytics. Every last one of them.

Possibly overkill but... figured while I'm at it I might as well do the lot.

Reply 31 of 45, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello all,

I have also a problem with my Roland LAPC-I...
Yesterday evening i tried Supaplex, because i did know its supporting the Roland board too.
But after trying that, the Roland card seems to work BUT, i only get one RIGHTER channel of sound to listen at on my headphone... when i put the headphones plug in to the speaker output from my Acer S20 Magic soundblaster pro OPL3 soundcard...

If i connect the headphones straight through the headphone connector from the LAPC-I card i dont hear nothing...

Could this be a same problem like above with those electrolytics capacitors??

And if i need to replace them like Donutking have done, with kind of type capacitors from better quality could i use instead of the electrolystics ones?? Or are new electrolytics capacitors the only replacement?

I tried to free new version of supaplex.. But the strange thing is, when i try to use BOTH ROLAND BOARD AND SOUNDBLASTER PRO (last sound option in supaplex) the game is just freezing, after few seconds later the lapc-i is hanging in the sound notes..

Last edited by Robin4 on 2012-02-08, 11:27. Edited 1 time in total.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 32 of 45, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yeah that was the best solution! glad to hear you saved that LAPC-I, it would be a same for it to die 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 33 of 45, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And if i need to replace them like Donutking have done, with kind of type capacitors from better quality could i use instead of the electrolystics ones?? Or are new electrolytics capacitors the only replacement?

Not sure if caps are your problem. Yours sounds completely dead, mine at least had one channel working.

If you try replacing caps note down their value (usually in microfarads - uF) and voltage. Try to get identically rated replacements. You can use higher voltage caps if necessary (not lower) but you should try and keep the farads value the same. I'd advise against changing from electrolytic to any other type, not only will it be difficult to find other types with matching values but they all have different electrical properties that may have a negative effect.

You will want radial electrolytic caps, I used Low ESR type. These caps are polarized, there is a stripe down one side of the cap to denote the negative lead. On the LAPC-I the negative solder pads have a small circle printed around them so you know which one goes there.

Reply 34 of 45, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Mine got working too. See other thread.. Iam happy now.. Only there isnt a reset tool if it going to hang..

Reply 35 of 45, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How can i use this card with games that doesnt have a option the select Lapc-i setting, but do support this card.

Reply 36 of 45, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Use 'Roland', 'CM32' or 'MT32' setting. LAPC-I is compatible with all these.
If a game doesn't have a setup program try game.exe /? to see if there are any command line parameters to enable the LAPC-I.

Reply 37 of 45, by moturimi1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am happy.
I was able to repair a LAPC-I by replacing some electrolyte capacistors.
I will replace the rest, when I am in stock with some minor widespread and common capacistors.
Unfortunately I broke the blue "part" above C33 shown in the following link:
http://de.tinypic.com/view.php?pic=1902eb&s=5
Currently I fixed it by soldering it back into position.

Can anyone tell me which replacement I am looking for? The markings on this part is: C3A 400MT.
And on the PCT you can read 4.000 x3 Whatever that means.

Reply 38 of 45, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ that looks like a 4mhz crystal to me.
Have a little patience because I have bought the LAPC-I Service Manual, when I return to my office in a couple of days I can tell you exactly what this part is.

Reply 39 of 45, by moturimi1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

^ that looks like a 4mhz crystal to me.
Have a little patience because I have bought the LAPC-I Service Manual, when I return to my office in a couple of days I can tell you exactly what this part is.

No problem, I can be patient.
I am just happy being able to rescue an old LAPC-I!