VOGONS

Dead ROLAND LAPC-I

Topic actions

First post, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think i did a bad buy few months ago..
Then i bought from ebay a lapc-i midi soundcard...
But actually it dont work..
It came in full box with cables and so.. The card was shipped in antistatic bag.. It always laid in the closet and never touched it in my bare hands or so..
Yesterday i tried it in my 80386 system.. I thought that the lapc-i was playing.. But after all it could be the NEC X385 daughterboard that was making the sound..(on the acer magic s20 soundcard)

The bad is, i paid exactly 250 euros for this JOKE!!!
I think it was already dead before it where sold to me...

I think iam not going to search it again for a lapc-i.. Its just a to populair soundcard that going through many hands, and now i just received a dead one.. How funny..

I put the plug from my headphones in the headphone jack, but dont getting any sound out of it..

Badly there arent any device detecting software for it, so i could see if its faulty or not..

So i thought that i could try this card in my windows 98se computer..

There wouldnt any LAPC-I devices detected!!
When i try to install the MPU401 driver it wont do it..

Can you people help me on this? What could i do more to see if it could work again??

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 2 of 7, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok i will do..

Iam going to take the card out and see what the settings are. I think its all set to the factory specs..

Reply 4 of 7, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

if it's in hardware specs then both the sb-midi and lapc will use #330 ...

Thanks, that was the main problem.. (was not mentioned in the manual)
Standard the acer magic s20 uses default 330 midi port.. I set that one to 300..
So the roland has a fixed 330.. I think thats really stupid.

Now the card actually works.. I think that i only need a receiver for it so i can adjust the volume VS FX sound effects..

Only the bad is, if i want to use the roland board with supaplex and save it, the game is freezing.. And also cant work with combine devices, maybe thats only possible with the old soundblaster..

The card sounds really nice, but i cant reset the device if a game hangs..

I also installed the drivers from my Gravis ultrasound ACE.. Installation was very easy for out the box.. Never see a good software package on any soundcard like the gravis ultrasound..

And also tested the upgraded memory, its works 100%.. 😁
So iam a happy man now.. 🤣

Thanks for you help!.

My settings are now:

ACER MAGIC S20 with NEC X385 daughterboard.

Mode: SB
Port:220
IRQ:5
DMA:1
Cd-rom interface disabled (can enabled it, mine have pins, tried with a mitsumi 2 speed drive, but cant get it working.)
MPU401:enable
Port:300
IRQ:9

Gravis ultrasound ACE ver 1.0

Port:260
IRQ:7

Roland Lapc-i

Port: 330
IRQ:2

Reply 5 of 7, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So the roland has a fixed 330.. I think thats really stupid.

You can set both the IO address and the IRQ with the jumpers on the card.
http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/sound-cards-multi … ard-LAPC-1.html

I'd advise leaving the LAPC-I at 330 though because there are a few games that won't let you use it on any other address, whereas most general MIDI games will let you pick the address in the game setup.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 6 of 7, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

LAPC-I (s) Die Hard!!! A real classic board! They don't make 'em like it anymore. 😁

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers