VOGONS

First post, by PhaytalError

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, it's been YEARS [1999 or 2000] since i've done anything with DOS, also i've not used Windows since 2006 [i'm a complete Linux convert].

[The PC i'm about to mention is strictly for DOS gaming ONLY, NO WINDOWS 3.x, Win9x, nor WinNT usage whatsoever!]

Anyways, recently I found on the curb [literally, someone had tossed it out for city dump!] a nice little Gateway Performance 550 Pentium III 550Mhz system! It came with 256mb of RAM, a Radeon AGP card, Internal 3.5in 1.44mb Floppy, Internal ZIP Drive, SB Live! soundcard , a crappy PCI 56k modem, a CRT monitor, mouse, and keyboard however had no ethernet card, and no hard drive [for privacy reasons i'll assume].

I was lucky enough to locate and purchase a brand new [factory sealed] AWE64 Gold and D-Link DLE-530TX+ PCI Ethernet Card, and I slapped in a 13GB HDD.

I have elected to install and use FreeDOS v1.1 [as of this posting] because FreeDOS is friggin' AWESOME and MS-DOS gaming compatible.

So anyway, I was doing some testing [Diamond Stealth 64 Video PCI + 4mb RAM module vs. ATI Radeon AGP] and to my suprise the AGP card rendered DOS games; I honestly didn't even know that DOS games would "see" the AGP card. DOS games, [especially 3D titles such as Quake] run VERY fast... achieved 2x - 3x the performance with the Radeon compared to the Diamond Stealth 64 card. The Radeon even allows for VESA mode in Quake up to 1920x1080, where as the Diamond Stealth 64 card doesn't allow for VESA modes in Quake so VGA only; but does allow VESA modes in Duke3D, and other Build Engine titles.

HOWEVER 2D in alot of games with the Radeon on the horizontal movement plain was "jerky" [best I can describe it], and some games in VESA Mode [Shadow Warrior to name one] gave a horrible rainbow effect on all graphics and pixles in VESA mode.

So I have replaced the Radeon AGP card with the Diamond Stealth 64 Video PCI card for now...

What is the best graphics card for DOS, that will allow for a nice FPS in Quake [40-60fps is perferred if at all possible] in VGA mode, and at least 30+ FPS in VESA 640x480 mode? Is there even such a card that can do this? [Those are the speeds I was achieving with the AGP Radeon].

I want something that is fast in 2D, fast in rendering 3D engine games such as Quake + VESA mode, and that has great DOS compatibility.

My question is this, does such a thing exist? If so, what are my opions?

I'm just looking for something better than the Diamond Stealth 64 I currently have; I mean yeah the Diamond Stealth 64 is very fast in 2D, and fast in 3D [I can do 800x600 VESA in Duke3D, Shadow Warrior, etc and can run Grand Prix 2 [GP2] with all settings maxed out + SVGA and get buttery smooth framerate] but can't do any VESA in full-3D engines such as Quake.

What do you all suggest as a replacement or recommend? Many thanks in advance! 😁

Reply 1 of 12, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhaytalError wrote:

So anyway, I was doing some testing [Diamond Stealth 64 Video PCI + 4mb RAM module vs. ATI Radeon AGP] and to my suprise the AGP card rendered DOS games; I honestly didn't even know that DOS games would "see" the AGP card.

DOS uses interrupt 10h to drive the display, so it will work with any video device the system BIOS supports.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 2 of 12, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you really want to get very serious about dos gaming lets say 1995 and earlier with opl3/medi then you are going to need something older. 😉

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 3 of 12, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Your comparison is a bit pointless, since you obviously didn't used the s3vbe and s3spdup (speedup) driver. A Stealth 64 with stock BIOS is a config no serious DOS user would use if he is going for fast framebuffer games. An indication is that you don't see any LFB modes in Quake.
You are also mixing 2D and 3D mode, which is essentially identical in DOS as 3D games use also dumb framebuffer filling. The only difference to consider is banked vs. LFB mode.

For the cards: S3 is already quite good for DOS, alternatives would be Riva128, 3dfx Banshee, 3dfx Voodoo3.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 4 of 12, by PhaytalError

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
elianda wrote:

Your comparison is a bit pointless, since you obviously didn't used the s3vbe and s3spdup (speedup) driver. A Stealth 64 with stock BIOS is a config no serious DOS user would use if he is going for fast framebuffer games. An indication is that you don't see any LFB modes in Quake.
You are also mixing 2D and 3D mode, which is essentially identical in DOS as 3D games use also dumb framebuffer filling. The only difference to consider is banked vs. LFB mode.

For the cards: S3 is already quite good for DOS, alternatives would be Riva128, 3dfx Banshee, 3dfx Voodoo3.

Thanks for that info, I forgot DOS could utilize drivers for video cards since under normal conditions they "just work". I'll install s3vbe and s3spdup drivers or try univbe and fastvid or sddspeed and re-do my testings. Also the PCI card and the AGP card were not in the system at the same time, I shoulda mentioned that I tested them seperately.

Reply 6 of 12, by PhaytalError

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok so, univbe + fastvid = WOW! o.o

Quake 640x400 VESA mode ~60fps that's double of what I was getting on the Radeon in that VESA mode.
Quake 800x600 VESA mode ~40fps
Quake 1024x768 VESA mode ~30fps

With s3vbe + s3spdup

Quake 640x400 VESA mode ~30fps
Quake 800x600 VESA mode ~15fps
Quake 1024x768 VESA mode ~9fps

[There's actually no speed increase with s3spdup enabled for some reason even though it loads into memory.]

So it seems like the best logical config for me would be to use univbe + fastvid.

Once again elianda thank you for pointing me in the right direction! 😁

Last edited by PhaytalError on 2012-06-14, 14:01. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 7 of 12, by PhaytalError

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Don't forget the CPU. To play SVGA games in DOS you want as much CPU power as possible. P3 with 1GHz or higher...

My CPU is a P3 550Mhz and I get silky smooth framerates now in Quake [60fps in 640x400 VESA], and GP2 with maxed out graphics + SVGA mode = flowing smooth as silk and no slowdown so far. 😁

Reply 8 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PhaytalError wrote:

I was lucky enough to locate and purchase a brand new [factory sealed] AWE64 Gold

Factory sealed!? Next time you find something like that, you ought to flip it on eBay; you might well end up with more than enough money to buy another perfectly good AWE64 Gold (or two!) in slightly less pristine condition. In theory, anyway.

So I have replaced the Radeon AGP card with the Diamond Stealth 64 Video PCI card for now...

Your BIOS setup will probably let you switch between using AGP for video and PCI for video, so if you want you can feasibly leave both cards inside and switch between them whenever.

Reply 9 of 12, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I used to run Battlespire in hi-res (640x480?) on my PII-450 with an AGP nVidia TNT1. The video card supported VESA and I think LFB at the BIOS level.

Reply 10 of 12, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

well really you should be playing quake in opengl

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 11 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Indeed, there are so very many ports for Quake that I really can't understand the appeal of going out of one's way to play it on a DOS machine

Reply 12 of 12, by ProfessorProfessorson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

Your BIOS setup will probably let you switch between using AGP for video and PCI for video, so if you want you can feasibly leave both cards inside and switch between them whenever.

In my experience that tends to be a no go depending on what motherboard you are using. The option may be there in the bios to choose which to boot from, and Windows 98 will show them both installed fine, but you will get motherboard warning beeps as Windows starts up and 3D aps crash or freeze the computer if your motherboard doesn't like running the two cards.

Cases like that I have even tried disabling the pci card in device manager, but the end result is the same simply because the motherboard didn't like the card being there. To be honest I have really come to respect the S3 Trio64 line. As far as 2d use goes for Dos and Windows, the card excels well and so far its the only card I have run into that can display Xmen COTA correctly with my Sony Trinitron VGA. Card can always be paired with a Voodoo 2 too.