VOGONS

First post, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,
I'm trying to get an optical mouse (Logitech) working on my 98 gaming PC. Here's the problem: At first, everything works great as normal, then suddenly the mouse isn't being detected anymore for 1-2 seconds (light goes off), then again it's detected and so on. That continues until it won't work at all. I tried using a PS/2 adapter with it which seemingly helped but found that it degrades smoothness, so I'd like to get it going with USB for now, at least for 98 gaming purposes. I also tried the 350 Mhz CPU fix from Microsoft, didn't help. System is a PIII 500 with 128 MB RAM, CF and NUSB drivers installed. Anyone got an idea?

Reply 1 of 4, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

PS/2 ports are usually the best bet with hardware of that vintage, because USB was in its youth, and PS/2 does usually perform better.

The catch with PS/2 is that it (by default) samples rather slowly and this is why it is less smooth. It's also called "report rate". Try Logitech's Mouseware 9.80 for Win9x. I use this with my MX510 and it does have report rate control.

Reply 2 of 4, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nope, sadly this seems to be incompatible with my generic Logitech mouse 😒 at first I thought it would work, but the mouse goes just crazy all over the screen klicking stuff without me doing anything. Maybe there's another software for setting the report rate? Oh and btw, I did test the mouse on a different PC.

Reply 3 of 4, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Look up ps/2 rate for universal 200 Hz fragfest.

Reply 4 of 4, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Argh... it's the mouse itself after all. Was too optimistic when I said the damn thing works with an other PC 😒