VOGONS

Diamond Stealth 3D 4000

Topic actions

First post, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, just picked up one of these for a couple bucks from eBay to replace the TNT2 M64 in my Socket 7 system. The TNT2 was giving me issues with some univbe games, most noticeably TIE Fighter CD.

What is the consensus here about this particular Virge card? I saw some posts saying the card had issues with S3 specific games, even with the main patches. I'm going to pair this up with a V1 or single V2. The TNT was just overkill for my late 1997 system.

Reply 1 of 18, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It fails with Terminal Velocity, but hopefully most of s3d library will be fine using newer toolkit.

Reply 2 of 18, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Aside from TV, how does this card behave with the other S3 specific games?

Reply 3 of 18, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't have exactly this card, but the games I've tried with my GX2 AGP cards work without problems. Croc on S3D is actually playable in 640x480 😀 Terminal Velocity is broken though as Putas mentioned. Also you can't run S3D mode in the demo of Terracide, so you are stuck with Direct3D.

btw senrew, did you fix your midi issues in pure dos with vortmix?

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 4 of 18, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Didn't end up needing vortmix after all. Set the au30dos.INI file to read only and it picks it up every time.

So....if I patch my MW2 Pentium install with the s3 files, this card will make it pretty?

Reply 5 of 18, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sure, however keep in mind that the Virge is a slow card. It might run acceptably on the GX2 at 640x480 though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMkyKbAO0NE&li … ture=plpp_video
This was recorded by swaaye on a GX (not GX2).
I think I'd rather have MW2 Software Rendered at 1024x768 on any day (obviously your Socket 7 machine won't run that acceptably!).
You could try the Voodoo 1 version of MW2 which is quite fast (not one of the best looking ones though for whatever reason...)

Reply 7 of 18, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hells yeah, if you can. I don't get the card for another few days. 😀

Reply 8 of 18, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Preliminary test:

No mip mapping problems like in the video F2knp linked to. Fully playable in 640x480. Less frames in 800x600 (about the same as the 325 in 640x480 as demonstrated here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaYpdNQbA6k&feature=relmfu)

I can record some footage really quick. Just give me some minutes

Reply 9 of 18, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So awesome.

Reply 10 of 18, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Had to re-record due to the VGA cable to the capture card not being properly attached and thus giving less than expected quality. Which also reminds me I need to buy a new cable since the one I have now sucks and is kinda broken. Was thinking about this one: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/1080p-vga-m-m-sh … 5m-33286?item=8

Here you go senrew:
http://youtu.be/Mag6bBV6mIM

btw, this was actually my first time playing Mech2 (and with inverted mouse), so please don't laugh of the n00b 😉 looked like a kickass game if I'm honest.

Reply 11 of 18, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks good enough for me. None of the API specific versions do 1024x768 right?

Reply 12 of 18, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From the best Mech2 site I know about - http://reocities.com/Area51/shuttle/5151/

MW2 3D Enhanced (OEM) Editions
To date, I honestly have never really spent much time trying to change the resolutions of these versions. Considering the hardware that the ATI Rage, Matrox Mystique and S3 ViRGE versions were made to work on, they are generally not worth trying to change. Perhaps the ATI Rage version at 640x480 or higher would be nice on an 8mb Rage Pro on a decent system, but supposedly it is locked to 512x384@60Hz. The 3Dfx version already offers 800x600 (as does the ViRGE, oddly enough). Now that I think about it, the one that I would most want to increase resolution in would be the PowerVR version, since it is one of the nicest ports and the card supports up to 1024x768. Recently, I found out that using a different MW2SHELL.DLL file for 3Dfx/D3D Mercs unlocked higher resolutions (for details, see below) and this makes me think that I might be able to do this for MW2 as well. The S3 ViRGE edition was the single one that offered resolution changes in the "Combat Variables" section of the shell and it appeared to be scalable with the amount of video memory available. Perhaps, if you were to use that ViRGE Edition MWSHELL.DLL on another version, such as the ATI 3D Rage or PowerVR, you just *might* be able to change to respolutions from the Combat Variables screen of the shell and successfully drop into single and multiplayer missions in higher res. This may even work for MW2 Titanium, since the shells are so similar to the older versions (aside from the Titanium running full screen). If the Titanium code handle running at 800x600 or higher, this may be the way to unlock it. I'll see if I can get a hold of the S3 ViRGE MW2SHELL.DLL and test this theory out.

I'll try out that trick he is talking about and report back.

Reply 13 of 18, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unfortunately it doesn't work. ATI Rage is just locked at 512x384 even if it is possible to set it at 1024x768 in the settings. PowerVR version just crashes with the S3 Virge mw2shell.dll. Haven't tried the Mystique version. I even tried to mix it up with using the files from other versions on the ATI Rage one, as just getting 640x480 would be an improvement, but to no avail.

For the mw2shell.dll file to register 1024x768 you need a card with 8MB ram. A s3 Virge card with that amount of size should in theory be able to run the game at that resolution. How the framerate would be I won't dare to think about..

Reply 14 of 18, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hey that's really cool of you vetz! Think you could upload a video of the Matrox Mystique version or perhaps even the ATi Rage version?
I've never seen these in action!

Reply 15 of 18, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Where there any 8mb virge cards? Or even any with expandable ram up to 8mb?

Reply 16 of 18, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
senrew wrote:

Where there any 8mb virge cards? Or even any with expandable ram up to 8mb?

Yes, there were. I think both with 8MB built-in and with the possibility for expansion were available. Putas probably knows abit more than me on this since he owns one of the 8MB cards. Quite rare unfortunately 🙁

F2bnp wrote:

Hey that's really cool of you vetz! Think you could upload a video of the Matrox Mystique version or perhaps even the ATi Rage version?
I've never seen these in action!

I was actually thinking of saving those for the comparison episode, but here are a short sneak peak of the ATI Rage version running on a ATI Rage 3D Pro 4MB PCI, which look like total crap compared to the others. Also it is a bit harder to play since the targets are smaller and more pixalated compared to the 640x480 versions:

http://youtu.be/O2z_pyeX0uU

btw, I could not get the game to run on my ATI Rage LT Pro 8MB AGP.

Reply 17 of 18, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Only Virge VX could have 8MB, and they are clocked slowly and have little overclocking headroom. Not really meaningful for s3d games. Then there are 8MB Trio3D/2X, but I would not expect much compatibility.

Reply 18 of 18, by aspiringnobody

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vetz wrote on 2012-09-25, 23:08:

I don't have exactly this card, but the games I've tried with my GX2 AGP cards work without problems. Croc on S3D is actually playable in 640x480 😀 Terminal Velocity is broken though as Putas mentioned. Also you can't run S3D mode in the demo of Terracide, so you are stuck with Direct3D.

btw senrew, did you fix your midi issues in pure dos with vortmix?

Sorry to necro this, but since I found it when looking for a solution to this I thought I'd post for posterity:

You can get Terracide working with the GX2 by copying the S3dtkw.dll from the S3drun patch to the game directory. It will detect S3d and enable the option in settings. It seems to default to directX on each launch though. It doesn't seem to matter if you have the S3dsrvr TSR loaded or not -- just replacing the dll was enough for me.

Thanks,
AN