VOGONS

First post, by MrTentacleGuy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I remember the old Sound Blasters having weird artifacts but this seems ridiculous. I've been using a SBPro compatible Crystal CS4231 until I finally picked up a SBPro 2 CT1690 for the added compatibility. Alexander's voice in King's Quest VI hisses like crazy. I had turned off the output filter with sbp-set because I heard that helped in some situations but it's still pretty distracting. I'm using amplified speakers and I had heard there was a way to turn off the onboard microphone amp but I don't think this model has that jumper. Is this as good as it gets or is there an ideal setup for clarity? The Crystal card doesn't have this problem and has a proper line out so I'll probably stick with it for a while. I was just wondering if anyone had any special solutions.

Reply 3 of 6, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

From all the cards I have, the Sound Blaster Pro 2 isn't noisy at all. However Creative cards are such hit and miss. The quietest card I have are the AWE64GOLD.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 6, by MrTentacleGuy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I also have an AWE32 CT3980 but I've always heard the Sound Blasters lost SBpro compatibility after the SB16s. I never really tryed out the FM side of that one. Supposedly it's possible to mod sound cards with better components. After some more testing I suppose that's an option for the Pro.

Reply 5 of 6, by MrTentacleGuy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't know. Usually I post to a forum after I've been through all of the troubleshooting I'm willing to do. I was going to test some more games but I don't seem to have the time. I've already had an AWE32, a YMF719, and a Crystal card in this 486 without this problem so I'm just going to call it a problem card for now and come back to it later (it's not currently installed). I was mainly just asking if anyone knew of a quick fix as a sort of last ditch effort. Thanks to everyone for their help.

Reply 6 of 6, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Totally understandable! The card also might just be faulty.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel