VOGONS

Best Socket 3 CPU

Topic actions

First post, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ive bought an AMD K5 x86 P75 / AMD-X5-133ADW that i want to use to make an retro rig. I have googled a bit and it seems that my CH-471B motherboard does not support this CPU.

So im wondering which was the best 80486 and Socket 3 CPU?

Here are 2 pictures:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54462712/Retro/AMD5x86-P75a.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54462712/Retro/AMD5x86-P75.jpg

Reply 2 of 21, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stojke wrote:

Ive bought an AMD K5 x86 P75 / AMD-X5-133ADW that i want to use to make an retro rig. I have googled a bit and it seems that my CH-471B motherboard does not support this CPU.

You are confusing the AMD 5K86 with the 5x86 in your text. They are not the same chip. The early K5 looked a lot like the 5x86 and it is easy to confuse them at first glance. The K5 requires a socket 7 motherboard.

You DO have a 5x86 in the photo so as was stated earlier, if your motherboard can supply the correct voltage then it should work. If there is a later BIOS for your motherboard, I'd get that and then try it.

Reply 4 of 21, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JaNoZ wrote:

yes but his is ok for socket 3.
what did you pay for it?, ebay?
since this is a real 486 i would concider this the fastest socket 3 obtainable

In some situations the Cyrix/IBM/SGS-Thompson 5x86 and the Pentium Overdrive can be faster.

Reply 6 of 21, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JaNoZ wrote:

yes but those are pentium class machines and they take away some fun.
in that case you could better move over to socket 5or 7.

Yes, but they are still Socket 3 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 21, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yes i know p24t podp and cyrix 5x86's are socket 3.
but he is asking about the fastest 80486 and socket3 cpu, not OR socket3 cpu.
amd dx5 133 is true for both 😀

Last edited by JaNoZ on 2012-12-09, 21:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 21, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ive heard that Pentium overdrives had compatibility issues.

Oh so these are 5x, cool, didnt know, i always thought only K series existed.
I payed it 2$ on an Serbian auction site. It looks brand new. Should be shipped to my place on Monday.

I think the motherboard can supply either 3.3V and 5V, this CPU is 3.45V how i read. I dont think 0.15V will do much trouble?
Here is the thread on the motherboard i started a while ago in hopes of getting more info on it:
SIS CH-471B Mother Board info

So far ive god:
1x 32MB Parity EDO
200W Highscreen PSU
Trident 9000b
Various sound cards
A cool housing

I am in search on more components as well as a good SCSI card. 😀

But now I'm interested into the CPU.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 9 of 21, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

the dx2 is multi 2, dx4 is multi 3, dx5 or 5x86 for amd is multi 4 not 5 sadly.
they left out dx3 for some overdrive cpu i thought.

btw that is an uber cheapo deal, good find, are there more being sold?

Reply 10 of 21, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I see, cool. Ive read on Wikipedia that this CPU is one of the fastest, and that there also exists a 150MHz version.

There aren't any at the moment. And sadly (VERY) people collect them and trow them away for recycle. They destroy these CPUs for a measly amount of money. 🙁

I used to see them a lot as younger on the flea market, but now its very rare, as well with other components such as motherboards and sound cards. People started simply recycling it all for a few dollars.

[Edit]

Found these 2 motherboards though:
http://www.kupindo.com/Maticne-ploce/11059897 … spravna-RARITET
http://www.kupindo.com/Maticne-ploce/11059969 … a2-NEPONOVLJIVO

Reply 11 of 21, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stojke wrote:
I see, cool. Ive read on Wikipedia that this CPU is one of the fastest, and that there also exists a 150MHz version. […]
Show full quote

I see, cool. Ive read on Wikipedia that this CPU is one of the fastest, and that there also exists a 150MHz version.

There aren't any at the moment. And sadly (VERY) people collect them and trow them away for recycle. They destroy these CPUs for a measly amount of money. 🙁

I used to see them a lot as younger on the flea market, but now its very rare, as well with other components such as motherboards and sound cards. People started simply recycling it all for a few dollars.

[Edit]

Found these 2 motherboards though:
http://www.kupindo.com/Maticne-ploce/11059897 … spravna-RARITET
http://www.kupindo.com/Maticne-ploce/11059969 … a2-NEPONOVLJIVO

Not only a 150mhz version, but also a 160mhz one though I only ever heard of one person who had a 160mhz chip. They are both extremely rare to find, though. I've seen more Nexgen CPU's for sale in the last few years than I have AM5x86 chips faster than 133mhz and I search globally.

Reply 12 of 21, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JaNoZ wrote:

amd dx5 133 is true for both 😀

Yes I know, I was only joking 😉

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 14 of 21, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

They are that rare? Hmm, interesting. I will go to the military junk yard, the one i havent been at, once the snow is melted and everything dries out.
On the Junkyards I've been at, all i found were Motorola 32bit CPUs for amiga, 286 and 386 processors, some strange IBM processors and very old motherboards that weren't complete. Nothing serious really.
Did dig out some IBMs but their casings were smashed.

Reply 15 of 21, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Managet to get an other AM5x86 and one AM486DX4 100.
Also i found out how to set my Motherboard to 3.45V CPU. I will test the other two soon 😀

Reply 17 of 21, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had multiple MoBos, i think i had around 5 80486 motherboards before i scraped them for some cash. I wasnt into a retro rig back than.
They were pretty good models from what i remember.

The one i have now is the CH-471B.
http://motherboards.mbarron.net/models/486vlb2/ch471b.html

I used to find 80386 80286 motherboards, even some incomplete motherboards with Motorola processors. Didn't know much about them so i didn't buy any of it (3$ per kg of electronics).
I even have some older components and chips, among who is an alu cased IBM 386, 487DX25 80286-10, sharp LH0080, various Zilogs, and so on. Some unknown gold caped chips AD565AJD...

And i don't know how to check the production date.
Also as a kid i used to go to various electronics dumps and i remember there being a ton of old tech. Too bad i knew nothing of them than, used to bash em with a rock. Now the thought hunts me every day 😀

Reply 19 of 21, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JaNoZ wrote:

amd dx5 133 is true for both :-)

The best socket 3 is a Cyrix 5x86-133. The Cyrix 5x86 was not capable of Pentium instructions, like the socket 3 POD was. It could only handle 80486 instructions. It works on socket 3 motherboards. It handles only 486 code like the AMD X5, but does so way more effectively. It does not have the Pentium internal architecture.

It is a 486 on speed.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.