VOGONS

First post, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I managed to find my self a 386SX being thrown out so I grabbed it and managed to get it to post and all looked good no battery leakage (it even came with an external battery though I promptly removed the barrel battery that had a greenish tinge on the end of the battery) just a bit of dirt/dust that could easily be cleaned

However I have a FDD controller failure error when I use the 2 original SIMMs that total upto 1792KB RAM for some reason.

When I switch the 2 SIMMs for 256KB SIMMs it boots up fine apart from the fact I only have 512KB RAM.

I can't imagine why this is and it didn't seem to matter whether it was different disk controller, floppy drives, ribbon cable it still had the problem.
HDD controller failure only happens very occasionally its usually only FDD controller failure.

Oh and the problem only started happening when I let the BIOS lose its settings after I pulled it apart and cleaned it and forgot to plug the external battery back in. (Think I left it turned off for a couple of hours)

One other thing the case is a slim desktop case like some OEM cases so there is a riser that allows for 5 isa cards of one isa slot but it is a completely standard motherboard from what I can see.

Reply 2 of 8, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I changed adaptor rom shadow f000,64k to disabled and it all works 😀

Now in msdos land I have some different issues It seems that msdos hangs at Starting MS-DOS... when I use some cards like various sound cards and the high speed serial cards I wanted to use because the serial port on the disk controller only gives me 9600 baud on interlnk which is a bit slow.

Unless I'm just doing something totally wrong with IRQs and stuff? Since I normally play with 95 or higher I guess.

Reply 3 of 8, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

check your cards one by one irq wise.
dou you have multiple pnp cards?
what about the slow serial 9600 it seems low even for a 16450, what uart you got on the multi io card?

why not use parallel port port interlink, the use for games and serial should have enough for 9600 communication.

Reply 5 of 8, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If i disable video rom shadow c000,32k then I get the expected 2048KB RAM. I belive DOS 6.22 didn't boot from 512KB RAM. MSDOS 3.2 booted from my 5¼ floppy disk but I'm guessing it only supports FAT12 not FAT16 and I'm trying to use a 1.2GB hdd partioned to 500mb currently. (I do have an 80mb disk but it didn't seem to boot from it when I tried using the cylinder info I found at computerhope.com)

I know the SB Vibra 16 CT2960 is PnP. I was thinking about a PnP SB32. I've got a winbound isa nic of some sort (presumably NE2000 compatable) a UMC SuperVGA UMC85C408 Card.

This is the disk controller http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/hard-disk-floppy- … E-2C-MKIII.html

I will have to try parallel I didn't realise I could use interlink with parallel.

I guess the problem is sometimes MS-DOS starts and sometimes it hangs or gets divide overflow. I could try reinstalling I suppose.

My ultimate goal is to use ethernet but apparnetly it gets CRC errors when it extracts even when I copied it onto the hdd instead of trying to use dodgy 3½ floppies

Oh and I seem to be having a graphical problem in that some games don't display properly like the initial screen and menu screen all look wrong and corrupted the game is fine I think though. The display type is set to VGA/PGA/EGA which sounds right to me although I don't know what PGA is. The same thing seemed to happen with a different video card.

Reply 6 of 8, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just updating where I am.

Interlink was running at 9600 baud because I was being lazy and used virtualbox for one end and it forces it to run at 9600 baud ignoring the settings of the host (apparently by design unfortunately) but it works at full speed when I use my 98se box.

The graphical problems (testing with dark ages 1) happen when using the hdd will get corruption of the graphics but works fine when loading from floppy disk so for some reason I have corruption on my hdd for some reason so I guess try a different hdd/ribbon cable/ disk controller or is there something I don't know about msdos?

Reply 8 of 8, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

also inspect your mobo carefully, look for traces with dark spots inside the coating or maybe a cut by a sharp object. mostly check out the memory and chipset part. you do not have any cache?
can you do a memory test? also check the hdd for corruption spinrite is awesome or use checkit 3