VOGONS

First post, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all,

I would like to buy some 2x64MB FPM memory for my 486 and or Pentium.

But would have to choose between 60ns : MT, SEC or Hynix.

What do you guys think i would get on experience.
I am looking for capable of tight timings of course.

Thanks

Reply 1 of 9, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

First make sure can the board handle the size.
Make sure that the contacts on the RAM and the BOARD are made of the same type of metal. (due to patina)

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 2 of 9, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Patina??
Isnt any 486 PCI board or pentium capable of 64mb sticks?
I know tat tinned contacts oxidize and can cause memory errors, and gold contacts are better, but tin to gold does not bite each other.

Reply 3 of 9, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Patina occurs as a thin layer on metals that oxidize.
Gold shouldn't oxidize, but make sure. Also i don't know, you need to check the chipset.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 4 of 9, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Patina occurs as a thin layer on metals that oxidize.

The problem with SIMMs is not so much tarnishing, it's galvanic corrosion... the electrochemical reaction between the two different metals (in this case gold and tin). And it's also not worth worrying about. Worst case, you might have to remove and re-seat the SIMMs every few months.

And just a side note, patina actually refers specifically to tarnishing/oxidation on copper-based metals. Or it's supposed to, anyway... it gets misused a lot by pretentious antiques collectors, pretty much for the sole reason that it sounds nicer than 'tarnish'.

Reply 8 of 9, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Only an issue if it's wet...

And depending on where you live, it is wet enough. It's not an effect that would occur in, say, Arizona, but in more humid areas it does happen.

But like I said, it's not a big enough problem that it's even worth worrying about. There was a big superstition about it in the '90s, how you should never use tin and gold contacts together, but the reality was that the only thing that came of it was that a computer would sometimes get a bit flaky and you'd have to reseat the RAM.

Reply 9 of 9, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was looking to buy this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/128MB-2x-64MB-Fast-Pa … E:X:RTQ:US:1123

But as i am reading the datasheet says it is 3.3v FPM chips from what i could make out of the bad picture.
I asked the guy and he answered:
"It will be compatible for both 3V and 5V applications."

This is odd?? both voltages? what would happen if i were to use 3.3v fpm in the sis496 mobo?