VOGONS

First post, by jacco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello
I from netherlands and look for this vga card.
On ebay nothing interest only cards with too much shipping cost from usa.
Anyone who have this card for sale?

Reply 1 of 11, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jacco wrote:
Hello I from netherlands and look for this vga card. On ebay nothing interest only cards with too much shipping cost from usa. A […]
Show full quote

Hello
I from netherlands and look for this vga card.
On ebay nothing interest only cards with too much shipping cost from usa.
Anyone who have this card for sale?

Just fyi, it's not allowed to do any buying/selling on these forums.

That said, there was one for sale on tweakers.net only a couple weeks ago for €2.
Better try sites like marktplaats or perhaps someone on vintage-computer.com has one for sale?
(btw I just tried marktplaats but the search term "diamond" resulted in no hits for this particular graphics card.)

Heres a link to their WTB forum
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/forum … er-Items-Wanted

Or if you're really lucky you'll receive a pm soon?

Anyway, good luck!

Edit:One trick for ebay is to buy several items from one single seller. That way you get multiple items and only have to pay for shipping once 😉
I did that a lot when I was on ebay

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 11, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And be patient 😀

Most of us didn't get all the parts we wanted overnight. Most of us have been collecting for years, some even longer then 10 years!

Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 11, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

some even longer then 10 years!

Or 20!

I wonder what it was like to collect hardware 20 years ago.
It must've been a much slower process as old computer parts were a lot rarer back then.

But anyway, it's a bit off-topic perhaps.

Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 11, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Most end up spending huge sums of money to get what they now have and the rest is just pure luck by God's grace. One also has to spend a lot of time just searching with very little or no pay off and even then there is wasted money. So it all comes down too if you want this hobby you will have to put aside others in order to have the resources.

As for me I began collecting back in 2004 but got set back pretty badly in 2007 and since then been trying to make up ever since. Be sure to hit all the pc repair and thrift shops in your area. Never write off yard sales and dumpster diving as there are at times opertunities to save hundreds of dollars/euros compared to eBay.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 8 of 11, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sometimes you're going to wait a long time before the particular piece you want becomes available at a price you can afford. That's where knowing the real rarity and market value of what you are looking for comes in handy. Some people think that just because something is old, that it must automatically be collectible and they can get a high price for it and it's not always true. On the other end, sometimes someone will put something up for sale without realizing that it actually is a rare piece and someone will end up getting a great deal on that item.

You can determine the rarity of an item by how often one actually comes up for sale, or if an item sets off a bidding war as soon as it is listed. If there's 25 or more bids on an item in the first hour, it's probably a pretty rare or desirable item. If there's a hundred of them on ebay at any given time, something like GeForce 2MX/4MX video cards, then you don't want to pay a lot for it. If it's something that you have to wait years for before you see another one for sale then you have to ask yourself how much your waiting time is worth. Is it worth paying a higher price for something now if it saves 3 years waiting for the next one to come up? Then the risk is that 3 years from now when the next one does come up for sale, that it will be priced higher than the last one and you end up paying even more for it. Some items come up so rarely that you just have to pay the price even though it hurts or else you may never have one.

Sometimes you can try haggling with the seller to get a better deal on an item you know is overpriced. Odds are pretty good that if the seller has been doing a lot of vintage parts sales then he knows it's overpriced, too, and may be willing to sell it lower if he's had it in inventory for a long time and he can use the money to buy something more profitable that he can sell faster, but don't waste the seller's time by making an offer that you know is outrageously low. He probably won't even respond to any offer he does not think is serious. The worst that can happen when you try to haggle is he says "no" and then you can decide to either pay the price or wait for the next one.

Last edited by sliderider on 2012-12-11, 16:48. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 11 of 11, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the Diamond drivers won't work you can use the drivers for Hercules Thriller 3D, or you could use reference drivers. Depending on what you want to play you should probably try different drivers anyway, especially the 3.0 beta driver have several problems (they deserve the "beta" designation).
See http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/index.php?catid=18 and http://www.vintage3d.org/verite2.php

If you only want to play native games (ie. RRedline in Windows 9x) the drivers may not matter that much, I suppose they make a bigger difference for Direct3D and OpenGL.