VOGONS

First post, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

After years of collecting parts and testing different configurations, I've been finding myself finalising my various retro PC's lately, and after tracking down a decent ATX case for my Pentium III, I'm finally able to call it finished. I lost interest in gaming for a while during the reign of the Pentium II and III, so this era hardware was a bit of a mystery to me, but I'm happy with what I've come up with:

New in the box ATX case - nothing fancy but it came with a new PSU which is nice.
IMG_3158_zps2c44d64b.jpg
IMG_3159_zpsb987e870.jpg

EPoX EP3vca. Nothing fancy here either, VIA apollo chipset. 512MB RAM, 1Ghz Socket 370 CPU. All picked up for next to nothing at a local computer shop that has a lot of this era stuff hanging around.
IMG_3239_zps5a7d9fc8.jpg

GeForce2 Ultra:
IMG_3232_zps58c740d1.jpg

2 X Voodoo 2's in SLI. I pretty much missed the glide period so am looking forward to having a play around with some glide games. These are not matched cards but that doesn't seem to bother the latest drivers. One card I got off a bloke on Overclockers.net a while back, and the other I found in a socket 7 machine that was dumped on the nature strip by a neighbour!
IMG_3237_zps4d8732c0.jpg

Sound Blaster Live! 5.1. I have vortex cards hanging around that I'll get around to playing with one day, but for this machine it has to be the Live! I'm a bit of a creative fanboy and this card seems to be about right for the period, with some EAX support coming into play:
IMG_3235_zps72fbed1d.jpg

Here's the finished product; it all seems to play nice and after a few goes at installing Windows 98SE + the relevant drivers, it's humming along nicely. I'd forgotten the challenges of installing 98 but I got there... eventually:
IMG_3243_zpsb3a6faeb.jpg
IMG_3245_zps51cca782.jpg

And here's the rest of the gang, all finished off over the last year or so. I've got plenty of storage space here but at this stage I'm happy with a 386, a 486, a Pentium, and the Pentium III above. Actually that sounds like a lot when I write it down, and that's not counting my modern machine and music server! But I have parts for a 286, and Pentium II, and a Pentium 4 in the shed if I get bored.

Here's the 386, it's a DX40 with 8mb RAM, 90mb HDD, Tseng ET4000AX VGA, Sound Blaster 2.0, and a Roland MPU-IPC-T to drive an MT-32. This beauty - pulled from the scrap heap at a local tip - is for 'floppy disk' era DOS games. (by that I mean late 80's / early 90's).
IMG_2661.jpg

(More details about this machine here if you're interested: "Hero saves valuable hardware from scrap heap")

Next is a 486SX33. I don't strictly need a 486 - the 386 covers any early 90's DOS stuff I'd want to play, and the Pentium covers the later, mid 90's DOS stuff. But I had a 486SX 33 as a kid so I built this for nostalgia mostly, and some games like Ultima 7 benefit from the extra zip. I've tried all sorts of motherboards and CPU speeds but in the end settled on an OPTi 495SLC VLB motherboard (has some compatibility issues but is nice and simple like my first machine), 8mb RAM, VLB IDE controller, Tseng ET4000AX VGA (can’t be beat for image quality), a Sound Blaster Pro 2, and a Music Quest MQX-32M MPU-401 card to drive an MT-32. This is for early ‘CD-ROM’ era DOS games (I had to justify existence somehow!). Of all my retro PC's this has been the biggest pain in the bum; it seems like there's always a drawback to the various setups I've tried - probably because they've all been vesa local bus!
IMG_3249_zpscaa2592b.jpg

Not sure if I had a Pentium back in the day, pretty sure I didn’t. A friend bought a Pentium 60 that we were almost hysterical about until it arrived and was pretty ‘meh’ compared to my 486 DX266, but I love this Pentium 166MMX I’ve slowly put together as I've found bits, tested them, and chosen the best. It has an ASUS VX97 motherboard, 16MB RAM, ARK2000MT based VGA card, a Voodoo2 for 3D, a Sound Blaster 16 with an NEC XR385 DB on it, and a Roland SCC1 for General Midi. This is my late DOS games / Windows 95 machine; the Ark Logic card is the fastest I've found for 2D, and the Voodoo is mainly just for Quake.
IMG_3248_zps44c7057e.jpg

And that’s it. I've been lucky with a lot of this hardware and found it locally, often for free at the local recycling center. I've been collecting games over the years to play on these so I'm looking forward to working my way through them - a lifetime of fun!

Reply 1 of 23, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice!
You've got quite the menagerie there. I've actually been scaling back my collection because I just don't have the space to keep it all and less time to play with it these days. I had machines from each of those eras myself until recently.

Do you have a shed or something to keep all this in?

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 3 of 23, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

WOW 😳

Excellent job there. I just stick with my SS7 machine because it covers this "childhood" period from the late 80s to mid 90s. But the more I think about it I might just go with a test bench setup for easy swapping parts, because that's really what I enjoy the most 😀

You have accumulated some very nice parts and your machines look terrific. Love that Sony CRT as well.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 23, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DonutKing wrote:

Do you have a shed or something to keep all this in?

Yeah I have a huge shed so I can store them out of the way easily which makes all the difference. No way I would get away with having all this stuff in the house, my wife would have my balls in a jar!

Like you say though getting the time to play with it all is the issue, modern life moves very fast.

Reply 5 of 23, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

But the more I think about it I might just go with a test bench setup for easy swapping parts, because that's really what I enjoy the most 😀

I'd like to get a test bench setup at some stage too, it is fun to benchmark this old stuff and see what works with what.

The SS7 stuff is great, very flexible, and your efforts in documenting different options with the cache mean that it's easy to cover a huge range of speeds.

Reply 7 of 23, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Joey_sw wrote:

🤣 @ "Serial ATA cable" on PSU

Future proofing 😁

Man I hate that word...

My YouTube channel

Reply 8 of 23, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Those cases look like brand new! 😁
Very well done! 😁

Damn, I love your AT tower!

Edit:Your CPU cooler looks a little bit on the light side for a 1Ghz Pentium 3 though, hope it won't cause you any problems.
Is that a Pentium 1 cooler?

Last edited by Tetrium on 2013-01-05, 19:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 23, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:

Those cases look like brand new! 😁
Very well done! 😁

Damn, I love your AT tower!

Yeah, I really envy your cases more than anything! It's like I almost want to find out that you have photoshopped the pictures to make them appear newer 😉

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 10 of 23, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

wow! everything tight and clean as a whistle... nice! I have a similar number of boxes but my menagerie *starts* at the P1/Voodoo1 period. Though my first machine ever was a second hand 486 Dx something or other, I quickly re-sold it in less than a year to help with the purchase of a Micron P-200 "dream machine".. so it's the Pentium I-III era that holds the greatest nostalgia for me. If the parts for a 386/486 ever fall into my hands though...

Reply 11 of 23, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:

Edit:Your CPU cooler looks a little bit on the light side for a 1Ghz Pentium 3 though, hope it won't cause you any problems.

The box the cooler came in does say "socket 370" on it but yes they fit a socket 7 too - I use the same on on the Pentium 166. Maybe the manufacture decided to clear some old stock with a bit of false advertising.

Thanks for the tip, I'll have a look around for something more substantial. The case has pretty good airflow so I don't think it's going to fry any time soon.

And yes getting AT cases in good condition isn't easy - I haven't seen any really nice ones come up locally on eBay in the couple of years I've been looking.

Mine all came from the local recycling center - people just throw them out. The recycle center doesn't sell them either, they send them off for scrap. So I go along with a few bits and grab what I can from the pile while no-one's looking.

It pains me to think of all the great stuff I've missed - given my success rate (I only go every now and then), they must scrap hundreds of great vintage machines each month.

Reply 12 of 23, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is this a Geforce 2 Ultra? There are a few differences compared to your one and i don't know what brand this one is (i'm thinking either Visiontek, Elsa or it could even be a Dell/Compaq/Gateway OEM card?)

Bench_3_06_12_2012_055.JPG

Reply 13 of 23, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I imagine that yes, it is a geforce 2 Ultra. However, if you want to, you can always remove one of the green heatsinks covering the rams and see if the modules are 4ns

Reply 14 of 23, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PowerPie5000 wrote:

Is this a Geforce 2 Ultra? There are a few differences compared to your one and i don't know what brand this one is (i'm thinking either Visiontek, Elsa or it could even be a Dell/Compaq/Gateway OEM card?)

It'll be detected by the drivers as an Ultra if it is, as apposed to the GTS which is detected as a GTS / Pro.

Reply 15 of 23, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Or you can use various tools to report the GPU amd MEM clocks. That should also narrow it down. And often the MEM ratings are a hint. The Ultra cards usually had faster rated memory.

My YouTube channel

Reply 16 of 23, by HardwareExtreme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ahh, yes. One of the first computers I used was a Pentium 3 similar to what you have. In fact, I still have it, but it is in pieces. Nice!

Q: Why didn't Intel call the Pentium the 586?
A: Because they added 486 and 100 on the first Pentium and got 585.999983605.

Source: http://www.columbia.edu/~sss31/rainbow/pentium.jokes.html

Reply 17 of 23, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

The box the cooler came in does say "socket 370" on it but yes they fit a socket 7 too - I use the same on on the Pentium 166. Maybe the manufacture decided to clear some old stock with a bit of false advertising.

It's not false advertising. Socket 7 is compatible with socket 370 coolers. And this cooler is an exact representative of what we had during the days as a 3rd party socket 370 cooler. During the days, the "cooling craze" was not in action, and CPUs were not pulling more watts than your oven or iron. Besides, socket 7 coolers are much more flimsy and toy like when compared to this one.

Check the original Intel PIII socket 370 coolers. They are not even that much "substantial" to begin with.

That said, I actually choose to use stock AMD coolers of the era for the socket 370, and stock Intel 370 coolers for the socket 7.

This one is very similar to AMD branded stock coolers of that time
fandurontb.Main.jpg

And this is the regular Intel stock cooler for socket 370
$T2eC16FHJF8E9nnC6LF+BQHEO-OZRw~~60_1.JPG?set_id=880000500F

Last edited by tayyare on 2015-07-24, 14:24. Edited 1 time in total.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 19 of 23, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tayyare wrote:

It's not false advertising. Socket 7 is compatible with socket 370 coolers.

Just like this Cooler, that I have mounted on my FIC-PA2013 (it's a Socket-A/Socket-370)

FIC-03.jpg

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011