VOGONS

First post, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember reading on here some time ago that it was possible to turn on and off certain features of the AWE64 cards invidiually using the PNP manager. For example, on my YMF 718 card if I wanted I could use it as OPL3 only with all other features disabled. Is the same true of the AWE64G?

I would like to use the AWE64G for FX only, and the YMF 718 as OPL3 only in the same system.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 2 of 6, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've got YMF 718 pretty well figured out. It's the AWE64G that is potentially the problem. Back when I bought this card new I never really messed with it much in DOS. Does the CTCM utility actually allow you to cherry pick which features you want on and off?

Reply 3 of 6, by pyrogx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Does the CTCM utility actually allow you to cherry pick which features you want on and off?

No, not in the way you would like it to. The AWE64 has three logical PnP devices: Gameport, Wavetable and SB16. The SB16 part includes the FX and OPL3 devices, so you can only turn them off together. Disabling the OPL3 clone only is not possible AFAIK. You can try to assign a different port than 0x388 to the OPL in CTCU, but I don't know if CTCU allows that.

Reply 4 of 6, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Usually it's no problem when several OPL3 chips/clones sit on the 0x388 port. Just mute the one you don't want to hear (in this case the AWE64 FM/MIDI channel).
Also, you could leave the FM part of the AWE64 uninitialized by not running "aweutil /S" at startup. 😉

Reply 5 of 6, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I suppose as long as it causes no conflicts and I don't have to listen to one of them, I am fine with having two OPL3s.

Does anyone run a YMF718 and AWE64 in the same system? Does it sound like a good combo?

Normally I'd like to just book up with the yamaha and turn the AWE64 on as needed.

Reply 6 of 6, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Beware that some games access the OPL FM through the SoundBlaster I/O address range (normally starting at 220h) instead of the Adlib address I/O (normally starting at 388h). In that case changing the adlib address does not help you.

In other words: Soundblaster I/O range includes its own FM address. When using a classic adlib card there is one FM address, When using a soundblaster or compatible: there is a second FM address.

Stumbled upon this when I tried to add an additional AWE64 and hoped to practically disable its FM.

Don't remember if disabling the EMU got around that problem, as 5u3 suggests. AFAIK It does require you to use two bootup configs: one with EMU, one with proper FM on another card.

Edit: I remember now: When a game only uses the soundblaster I/O's then the FM will be send to the card that is used for sound FX, and cannot be routed to another. At most it can be muted, then you have no FM.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul