VOGONS

First post, by stbunny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How to save mobo?
Is that enough to sand corroded traces and then to tin them?
What about soldered-on parts with corrosion marks? Do I have to re-solder them?

P55T2P4, Intel Pentium 133MHz, 32Mb EDO, S3 Virge 325, YMF-719s + SC-55, AHA-2940U2W, ST39175LW, UltraPlex40Max, Opti USB PCI, Sony CPD-G400P 19"

Reply 1 of 4, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
stbunny wrote:

How to save mobo?
Is that enough to sand corroded traces and then to tin them?
What about soldered-on parts with corrosion marks? Do I have to re-solder them?

It depends on how bad the mobo had corroded though, pics of the corroded area would help 😉

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 4, by stbunny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here are some photos:
iBYVUZ7l.jpg
1wVZV8kl.jpg
v4ZsvtCl.jpg
4BrOw0hl.jpg
TMpDdl8l.jpg
Uh2kI6Hl.jpg
xFtwusFl.jpg

P55T2P4, Intel Pentium 133MHz, 32Mb EDO, S3 Virge 325, YMF-719s + SC-55, AHA-2940U2W, ST39175LW, UltraPlex40Max, Opti USB PCI, Sony CPD-G400P 19"

Reply 3 of 4, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unless there's some unseen damage lurking underneath components, that really doesn't look too bad.

Looks like you've got it pretty well cleaned up, but if you haven't yet done so, dump some vinegar on the area to neutralize any remaining residue lurking in the nooks and crannies, followed by a rinse with alcohol or distilled water. Then yeah, pretty much just tin the traces and touch up any iffy solder joints. Broken traces can be patched with some thin wire. Also, pay special attention to the vias... the leakage tends to collect in those, so clean 'em out with a needle and check 'em for continuity to make sure they're still connected through.

Reply 4 of 4, by stbunny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks a lot for the tip!