VOGONS

First post, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been testing some stuff to sell, and next in line is a DB50XG. Problem is that the card is all freaky in windows 98. The problem goes away when i "GM reset" the card, but i have to do this every single time i reboot the system. Anyone that can enlight me on what it's going on?

Maybe i'm going crazy but i believe that this issue wasn't present on another card i have (don't have it here right now)...

Reply 1 of 9, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What do you expect from the board?
Of course you have to send a GM reset to switch it to GM mode. There seems to be nothing wrong here.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 2 of 9, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Checked the other one and it's the same. Why does it need a GM reset? Other cards work fine, Roland external modules too...

Reply 3 of 9, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is just that the DB50XG resets in XG mode on boot up and other wavetable in GM or GS.
It is a XG compatible modul afterall.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 4 of 9, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

But i only have this issue in Windows. DOS works just fine... If that was true DOS should fail too.

Reply 5 of 9, by Scylla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm here to confess something: I learned about the very existence of wavetable daughterboards here, in Vogons. I even had one installed on an old SB16 I purchased off eBay without truly knowing it.

Hopefully I'll get this answered in this post without being scolded, even if it isn't the place to ask, but: what do *exactly* daughterboards do? If I plug, for example, my clone DB50XG in my Diamond Monster Sound MX300... what difference will it make, gaming related? Do I have to configure anything on drivers? Is it useful to install one in a DOS ISA soundcard for old games?

Reply 7 of 9, by Scylla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
You get music like this: […]
Show full quote
Scylla wrote:

what do *exactly* daughterboards do?

You get music like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBm_qK5jvPI

Rather than the standard FM music.

Even in Windows, with no additional drivers? I'm having a fit trying to troubleshoot the PC that has the MX300 installed, but I'd love to hear that kind of music on my old games.

I've been wanting to buy a Sound Canvas off eBay, or an MT-32, for some time but I've never reconciled myself to the idea of parting with more than 100€ for a twenty year old synth 🙁

Reply 8 of 9, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You don't really need to pay 100 euro for a sound canvas synth imo when you have the NEC XR385 (clone card to DB50XG).

In many games the Yamaha DB50XG will sound better. Doom, Descent, Duke Nukem 3D are three examples. Listen yourself on http://www.wavetable.nl/

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 9 of 9, by Scylla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vetz wrote:

You don't really need to pay 100 euro for a sound canvas synth imo when you have the NEC XR385 (clone card to DB50XG).

In many games the Yamaha DB50XG will sound better. Doom, Descent, Duke Nukem 3D are three examples. Listen yourself on http://www.wavetable.nl/

Sweet! And all that without drivers of any kind, thanks to your help here and this excellent thread I know what to do now!