VOGONS

Retro Fever!

Topic actions

Reply 22 of 37, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

15 pin connector is rather unusual. I have a similar one on my asus board, but it has a special connector the has usb, ps/2, and I/R.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 24 of 37, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Scylla wrote:

Did you take a look at the manual I posted on the first page? It contains the pinouts for the USB ports.

Yes I have, but it says is 16pin, and I count 15 pin, and in other boards (same brand) the same, 15 pin.

Also, the manual says SDRAM, and if you look at the board it is not SDRAM sockets.

weird, weird....

***edited***

Actually the board I have is exactly the same as in this thread:

Found a desktop style Baby AT case, future P1 build

BTW, from what I'm reading in the thread and the manual, there's No MMX compatibility with this board...🙁 Can someone confirm this?

(also this model is B model (no DIMM sockets)

Last edited by Pingaloka on 2013-04-08, 20:37. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 26 of 37, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Scylla, what other options do I have for the CPU? So far, as well as I'm informed, the board does not accept MMX. Neither in terms of voltage or multiplier.
Should I go for a regular Pentium-s, Amd k5, Cyrix 6x86?

Reply 28 of 37, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:

there are MMX overdrive chips. just a thought.

That is an interesting thought luckybob. I'm going to search for some more info. thanx!
Don't think they will be easy to find thought 😀

Reply 29 of 37, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Pingaloka wrote:
luckybob wrote:

there are MMX overdrive chips. just a thought.

That is an interesting thought luckybob. I'm going to search for some more info. thanx!
Don't think they will be easy to find thought 😀

There is one on Ebay right now.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 30 of 37, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanx vetz, actually there are several from this same seller from Germany.

"Vintage CPU Intel PODPMT66X166 (166mhz)".

I'm not in a hurry I think I'll wait to see if I can find cheaper ones.
These ones come around 40-50 euros. A bit over the top for my taste 😀

Reply 31 of 37, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not talking about the Overdrive CPU's, but the CPU adapters.

Like the Evergreen Spectra I use in my Compaq, or the Powerleap PL-PROMMX (which is for sale on Ebay). You also have the Kingston Turbochip.

Reply 32 of 37, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vetz wrote:

I'm not talking about the Overdrive CPU's, but the CPU adapters.

Like the Evergreen Spectra I use in my Compaq, or the Powerleap PL-PROMMX (which is for sale on Ebay). You also have the Kingston Turbochip.

I'm a bit lost vetz, didn't know about these adapters. I'll read your thread about the compaq!

Reply 33 of 37, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd go for something like the Spectra. It gives you a lot more freedom about what kind of chip you can use. MMX overdrive chips look pretty, but wouldn't you rather have a 400MHz K6 III+?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 34 of 37, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I'd go for something like the Spectra. It gives you a lot more freedom about what kind of chip you can use. MMX overdrive chips look pretty, but wouldn't you rather have a 400MHz K6 III+?

Yes I would, but wouldn't a 60-66mhz FSB not take full advantage of the benefit that a Evergreen Spectra gives?
I read that is actually the 60-66mhz limit of the FSB the main reason why such an upgrade is not worth it. Specially if you look at the prices of these CPU adaptors.

Reply 35 of 37, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Pingaloka wrote:

Yes I would, but wouldn't a 60-66mhz FSB not take full advantage of the benefit that a Evergreen Spectra gives?
I read that is actually the 60-66mhz limit of the FSB the main reason why such an upgrade is not worth it. Specially if you look at the prices of these CPU adaptors.

I don't know if you've seen this thread:
Socket 7 and AMD K-6 socketadapter. Lackluster benchmarks

You get better results even with the CPU running at 66mhz FSB, but how much will swing from game to game. Remember I upgraded from a Pentium 200MMX. You're doing a bigger jump. Activating 3DNow in Quake 2 and Half-Life really gave noticable improvements!

As I posted in the "Bought this retro hardware yesterday" I just acquired a Powerleap PL-K6-III adapter after searching for a LOONG time. I don't know if it will work in my Compaq, but we'll see. If it does, then the ondie cache with the K6-3+ should give improvement over the K6-2.

The AMD CPU in my Evergreen Spectra I fear is either glued or soldered stuck. It doesn't come out like the CPU in my Turbochip does. So while the Spectra might work with an AMD K6-3+ in theory, I've never been able to test it in practice. I've never paid more than 25 dollars + shipping for my CPU adapters so it should be possible to get one cheap (The Spectra I got for 2 dollars!).

I might be able to help you aquire one, PM me for details if you're interested.

Reply 36 of 37, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vetz wrote:
I don't know if you've seen this thread: Socket 7 and AMD K-6 socketadapter. Lackluster benchmarks […]
Show full quote
Pingaloka wrote:

I don't know if you've seen this thread:
Socket 7 and AMD K-6 socketadapter. Lackluster benchmarks

You get better results even with the CPU running at 66mhz FSB, but how much will swing from game to game. Remember I upgraded from a Pentium 200MMX. You're doing a bigger jump. Activating 3DNow in Quake 2 and Half-Life really gave noticable improvements!

As I posted in the "Bought this retro hardware yesterday" I just acquired a Powerleap PL-K6-III adapter after searching for a LOONG time. I don't know if it will work in my Compaq, but we'll see. If it does, then the ondie cache with the K6-3+ should give improvement over the K6-2.

The AMD CPU in my Evergreen Spectra I fear is either glued or soldered stuck. It doesn't come out like the CPU in my Turbochip does. So while the Spectra might work with an AMD K6-3+ in theory, I've never been able to test it in practice. I've never paid more than 25 dollars + shipping for my CPU adapters so it should be possible to get one cheap (The Spectra I got for 2 dollars!).

I might be able to help you aquire one, PM me for details if you're interested.

Yeah sure Vetz, I read your thread. That is why I was talking about 60-66mhz FSB limitations.

Also saw that you got PL-K6-III after a lot of research time. Congrats!

BTW, PM sent.