VOGONS

Retro Benchmark Recommendations?

Topic actions

First post, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have yet to formally benchmark any of my retro rigs and I'm looking for recommendations for a basic suite to run on the following setups - nothing too fancy or exotic - just to get me started with benchmarks of relevance to VOGONS:

W95b
Intel AN430TX
P-233
64mb PC100 CL2
CT-1750 [dsp 1.05]
NEC XR385 Daughterboard
3D-2000 Pro
Voodoo-1
Samsung 8.4gb
CDR
3.5" FDD
5.25" FDD

W95b
ASUS P3B-F
P-533 133/512kb
384mb PC100 CL2
Turtle Beach Montego 1
QDI Legend Rendition-8mb
2x Diamond Voodoo 12mb SLI
WD Caviar 13gb
CDR
FDD

W98se
Abit VA-6 133fsb slot-1
P-3/1400 Tualatin 133mhz/512kb
K+L 'Slotket'
ATC Tualatin converter
512mb PC133 CL2
3dfx Voodoo 5500-64mb
Diamond Monster Sound MX-300
100gb Maxtor DiamondMax
DVD-RW
FDD
USB2 card: IOGear #GIC220U 2-port/NEC chipset

Last edited by tincup on 2013-04-14, 05:08. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 21, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I usually run through these, though these synthetic ones aren't great choices:
3DBench
Final Reality
3DMark99
3DMark2000
3DMark2001

I forgot the name of the OpenGL-based 3dmarkish.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 21, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can't compare the scores of different 3dmark versions.

Other ideas:
Wintune
CPUMark
Winbench

I uploaded some of my old Windows bench archive. Some of these seem hard to find now.
http://www.mediafire.com/?a8q43pxe1w386

Last edited by swaaye on 2013-04-14, 05:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 21, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I forgot the name of the OpenGL-based 3dmarkish.

I think leileilol suggested DroneZMark

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 5 of 21, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Quake2 timedemo? I think the demo has this feature too.

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 7 of 21, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Might this be of help?
http://www.active-hardware.com/english/benchm … /benchmarks.htm

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 8 of 21, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use:

Synthetic:
- Checkit 3.0
- PMIPS
- Sysinfo
- Speedsys
- 3DBench

Game:

- F1GP game (Adelaide track - everything ON, press O for processor occupacy before the start of the race - its consistent real world CPU benchmark)
- Quake 1 v1.08 Timedemo

Windows 3.10/3.11:

- Winbench 3.1
- Wintach

Reply 9 of 21, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I guess I know where to start now! I like the F1GP suggestion since I do a similar thing to test performance with my modern setups using rFactor at the Phoenix track maxed out - a good multi-platform test. Any upgrades/tweaks and I check them at the track too...

However - no sooner than I thought I'd embark on a lazy Sunday of benchmarking the W98/P-3 1.4 had a major OS meltdown booting up this morning [or rather failing to boot up] so I need to T/S that first. It'll be a little tricky since my fallback C images parked on D are all curiously corrupted when I tried an easy image restore. Luckily I have 2 backups of everything on externals so after brunch I'll see what I can do.

Not sure what the boot up problem is that may have caused all this.

Reply 10 of 21, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was thinking, FRACTINT would make a good benchmark program as well. We could make a preset to render a complex fractal image at 2048x1536 and see how long it takes. A bit like SuperPi, but for DOS. And by specifying to use floating point instead of integer math this could be used to measure FPU performance as well.

Reply 11 of 21, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

unfortunately the problem with Rig 3 is more trouble and I'm in full tear down mode right now. Eliminated CPU, slotket, Tualtin adapter, ram, audio card, usb2 card as culprit. Which leaves motherboard [Abit so def possible but no bad caps visible], and P/S [again possible as it's a cheap Diablotek part.

However the hard drive definitely got fubar'd, but since loading an OS backup image to another drive also failed I doubt the HD is the main problem.

I'll try another P/S, if that doesn't do the trick good old Abit is left holding the bag - unless it's an rig assembly issue which is why it's getting the tear down now. Or later, it's pretty nice out right now.

More later.

Reply 13 of 21, by Scylla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vetz wrote:

This is how Putas benchmarked the games on his website:
http://www.vintage3d.org/games.php

I beg your pardon, who is Putas, the owner of that site?

Edit: Ah, yes, I see now. This man's been around on Beyond3D for ages, glad to see he got to make such an awesome site. Thanks for the link, vetz.

Last edited by Scylla on 2013-04-14, 23:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 21, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yes - thanks for the link.

Benchmarking is on hold as I complete the Voodoo5 re-build. I think I'm up against a dying-but-not-dead motherboard, and have another lined up...

Reply 16 of 21, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You may try also Tom's 2Dbench from toms hardware. Theres stated that it require win2k, but i tried it on win98se and it works there too. Dunno how it like w95.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/2d-window … gdi,2547-5.html

Download here....

http://www.tomshardware.de/download/Tom2D,0305-26150.html

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 17 of 21, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks - I'd prefer a test that runs 95/98 for apple-to-apples comparison of the retro stable. I'm currently working through a rebuild of the W98/Voodoo box that got hosed pretty bad last weekend. Will be testing a replacement VA6/Tualatin 1.4, a P4 2.8 system I'm piecing together right now, and a quick/easy Pcchips M810L/Duron 1.6 setup I had in storage.

I was just using an Athlon 1.1 based rig to test/re-test the various hardware components to make sure I know what is ok and what may not be.

Reply 18 of 21, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No benchmarking to report, but solid progress on Tualatin re-build after the meltdown. A flaky mobo seems to have been the problem though swapped out the PS as well just to be sure. Replaced the the hard drive, and the MX300 with a TBS Montego II Vortex2. There's a bit work setting up the data drive and general fussing so benchmarking the systems will probably be a while.

And as I mentioned before, in all the excitement I also picked up an interesting looking ASUS P4 mATX board that has a 3.3v universal agp slot - and a Northwood 2.8ghz to go with it. I'm curious to see how RW performance compares with the Tui 1.4 and the Duron 1600+. Hopefully sometime next week I'll be able to get some testing in.

Reply 19 of 21, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

That guy even tests the obscure ones extensively. Putas is just a name- not a bunch of whores doing swapping cards 😀

Lol, and I had always thought his nick meant b!tches 🤣

Interesting. I like his site quite a lot, although he should replace that flash based photo gallery 🙁

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png