User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello,

Working on a new PC.
Mainly for games released in 1995 - 1999
Games like Quest for Glory 5 and Return to Krondor
Playing MP3's and General File manipulation.
Also something to connect my 486 to via laplink or network

This is my first implementation of SCSI because it was always unaffordable back in the day.

Im having a few issues getting the system to boot in SCSI. Is it a MBR issue?

Hardware as follows:

Intel Pentium 200 MMX
Intel P5T30-B4 Motherboard
128 MB FPM 60 ns
Creative AWE 32 CT36070
ADAPTEC SCSI Host Card AHA-2940U2W
Seagate Barracuda SCSI 2.1GB ST32550W
Matrox Millenium G200 IS-STORM 2MB (its a G200 right? All I can find written on the card is Matrox Power Graphics IS-STORM)
3 Com Fast Ethernet XL PCI

Software:

Windows 95C

Basically If I use IDE the system will work flawlessly

So I select SCSI In the motherboards BIOS as the boot option. The SCSI host card identifies hard disk no problems (the hard disk spins too) I enter the SCSI bios and everything is fine. Hard Disk SCSI ID = 0 and its set to boot from device ID 0 - Just as it should say Loading Windows 95 I get "PRESS ANY KEY TO REBOOT"

I wasn't sure if I needed special tools to format the SCSI drive so initially I booted with an IDE drive as well as the SCSI. I formatted the SCSI drive, used the "sys" command to transfer system files and then I copied the windows 95 files over to the hard disk so I can install them from the actual disk - This is the procedure I would use if it was an IDE drive - Should I handle a SCSI drive differently?

My other questions is SCSI is completely foreign to me. The Seagate Barracuda hard disk appears to be 68 pin and Im using SCSI 68 pin Ribbon Cable - I have a SCSI Plextor CDROM that appears to have a 50 pin connection but the connection itself is larger than the 68 pin.
What cable do I need? Is there some kind of adapter? I will be CDROMless untill I get a cable.

I need one of these right? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/IDC50F-TO-HPD68F-S … =item1e7afdd766

Ill upload some pics.

Last edited by rgart on 2013-05-22, 02:58. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 1 of 16, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

9hm9sz.jpg
rb06s5.jpg
f40dnq.jpg

Reply 2 of 16, by stbunny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for double posting.

Last edited by stbunny on 2013-05-22, 09:47. Edited 1 time in total.

P55T2P4, Intel Pentium 133MHz, 32Mb EDO, S3 Virge 325, YMF-719s + SC-55, AHA-2940U2W, ST39175LW, UltraPlex40Max, Opti USB PCI, Sony CPD-G400P 19"

Reply 3 of 16, by stbunny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You need 50pin SCSI cable.
Like this one: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/24-50-Pin-SCSI3-Co … =item3f0f287607
Your HDD should work faster if you attach your Plextor separately.

There're LVD/SE 68pin connector and Ultra2 68pin connector. Try them both.

Try to restore the default SCSI BIOS settings. Then boot from Hiren's CD or something which has SCSI drivers into DOS, then try to restore default MBR running: fdisk /mbr and then reformat it: format c: /s.

P55T2P4, Intel Pentium 133MHz, 32Mb EDO, S3 Virge 325, YMF-719s + SC-55, AHA-2940U2W, ST39175LW, UltraPlex40Max, Opti USB PCI, Sony CPD-G400P 19"

Reply 4 of 16, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Awesome setup, but it's a TX board... You should get rid of extra 64MB of RAM, it will do you no good. I would stick with a single stick of SDRAM if I was building a PC around TX. The cacheable RAM limit of 430TX is only 64MB, so everything above runs uncached and at horrible speed.

To learn more about 430TX limitations, visit this page: http://www.pcguide.com/ref/mbsys/chip/pop/g5iI430TX-c.html

Alternatively, you could get a K6-II+ or K6-III+ CPU with L2 cache built-in and forget about the limitation.

Reply 5 of 16, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the input. That page on the 430-TX chip set was very helpful

Dropped Ram down to one 64mb dimm

The SCSI dream is over for now: The Seagate Barracuda died and is now only appearing as a 1MB drive - Ill have to source another 68 pin drive or get an adapter/cable for the 80pin SCSI drive I have.

So I switched to IDE and removed the SCSI Host card.

The Awe 32 Is giving me nothing but trouble. No reported conflicts - all IRQ's ok - Weird stability issues within windows 95. Super slow booting - Long Pauses when loading - Low Volume - Crackling - Sometimes not even booting - Every time I shutdown getting stuck and not getting to the shutdown screen.

I had a spare Sound Blaster Live Value edition CT4670 so Im using that now and Windows 95 is operating as it should.

On closer inspection there is a solder like substance on the Awe 32 Capacitors. I have no idea if its leaking or it came from an external source.

6jgjtt.jpg

Reply 6 of 16, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Updated:

I've reverted back to the Awe 32.

Ive got the system stable however the Awe 32 is reacting strangely.

No conflicts reported. IRQ, DMA, all ok.

The sound effects are very distorted and crackled most of the time.
The music midi support sounds weird - instrument volumes seem weird, wrong notes, it sounds terrible.

However a minute ago doom started working perfectly with awe 32 music support but my sound effects disappeared.

What do you guys think of the capacitors in that picture?

Should I be allowing any dos drivers to run in the config.sys and autoexec.bat when Im running windows 95?

Reply 7 of 16, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have 2 CT3670 and both work fine. By the way, CT3670 is called Sound Blaster 32, it's not AWE 32. It's more like an early version of AWE 64 Value. An excellent ISA PnP sound card, I think 😀 Be careful with RAM slots, they're extra fragile.

The thing on the caps is most probably lead. This should not be the problem, as lead comes cold really fast as it drops and it would not damage the capacitors. At the same time, the liquid that's inside the capacitors is usually brownish/green/yellow, at least to my knowledge. The problem is elsewhere. Perhaps a good cleaning with soap and brush would reveal some damage?

Reply 8 of 16, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RacoonRider wrote:

Alternatively, you could get a K6-II+ or K6-III+ CPU with L2 cache built-in and forget about the limitation.

A much more safer choice is the AMD K6-III. It runs at a higher voltage, but is not that picky about BIOS compatibility compared to the + versions. Performance wise they are the same (though the + can be overclocked much more).

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 9 of 16, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:
RacoonRider wrote:

A much more safer choice is the AMD K6-III. It runs at a higher voltage, but is not that picky about BIOS compatibility compared to the + versions. Performance wise they are the same (though the + can be overclocked much more).

Is it possible to use a K6-III chip on this board?
Doesn't the board require a 100mhz FSB?

Reply 10 of 16, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, there's a page on a similar subject, http://www.thg.ru/howto/20000725/
Although I'm not sure if Intel boards have jumpers for over 66Mhz bus speeds.

Reply 11 of 16, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

testing out a K6-2 chip.

Its a K6-2 500 but I cant find the undocumented 83mhz bus speed on this P5T30-B4 rev 1.4 board.

Settings:

Multiplier x2 (6)
FSB 75mhz
CPU core 2.1v
IO 3.3v

Internal cache: enabled
External cache: enabled
System bios cachable: disabled

All else default in bios.

I get 450mhz and dos runs flawlessly.

Windows 95 C on the other hand crashes when loading with a protection fault.

Does windows 95 support the K6-2 chip? the date on the chip is 1998

Reply 12 of 16, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rgart wrote:

Windows 95 C on the other hand crashes when loading with a protection fault.

Does windows 95 support the K6-2 chip? the date on the chip is 1998

This was a well-known bug back in the days. See here for the patch.

Microsoft Support wrote:
When you start your Windows 95-based or Windows 95 OEM Service Release- based computer that is using an AMD K6/2 (350MHz or fast […]
Show full quote

When you start your Windows 95-based or Windows 95 OEM Service Release- based computer that is using an AMD K6/2 (350MHz or faster), or an AMD Athlon (1.1GHz or faster), you may receive one of the following error messages:

Device IOS failed to initialize. Windows Protection Error. You must reboot your computer.
Windows Protection Error. You must reboot your computer.
While initializing device IOS: Windows protection error.

NOTE: This problem is very intermittent on the K6/2 at 350 MHz, but occurs more often at higher speeds. This problem can also occur when you start your computer in Safe mode.

Reply 13 of 16, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

worked flawlessly!

thanks 5u3!!

Reply 14 of 16, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If the K6-2 is working, then the K6-III (regular version) should work as well. Getting this CPU means even more performance and because of the integrated cache it means you can say goodbye to the 64MB cache limit on the motherboard!

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 15 of 16, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Im not sure about that. It looks like K6-3 chips core is 1.6volts

the motherboard does not seem to support that voltage.

but Im amazed at the speed of windows 95 with a K6-2 450.

Considering dropping back to the Intel 200 MMX 😀