VOGONS

First post, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I've had an ISA IBM Etherjet 10Mbps NIC in a 486 for ages but haven't done anything with it.

Since mTCP is so good I finally decided to try it out. I found the packet driver and worked out the parameters but when I try to run it I get an error about twisted pair not being detected.

So I tried some alternate network cable and an actual 10mbps switch instead of the 10/100 I originally plugged it into.

I also tried using LANAID (well I didn't want to install it so I just used the command line version LANAIDC) I tried changing lots of things like IRQ, Link Pulse, PNP but made no difference.

However looking at the actual card and switch when the packet driver tries to load (it does find the card just no network) the light on the switch and the NIC go off so the card doesn't appear to be connected when the packet driver loads and I don't understand why.

Oh and the card only has 10BASE-T no COAX or AUI so it can't be using the wrong one. The card also did work when I used it on WFW3.11 and 95 think a while ago in a different computer.

Reply 1 of 12, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

wouldnt twisted pair suggest it needs a patch cable not cat 5 ?

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 2 of 12, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not sure I understand your question here. Patch cables are normally made from CAT5, which is twisted pair.

Reply 3 of 12, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

I'm not sure I understand your question here. Patch cables are normally made from CAT5, which is twisted pair.

I think he means a round cable with BNC connectors and not a flat cable with RJ45 connectors.

Like this

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/APC-Ethernet … 0ft_APC-0422-10

Reply 4 of 12, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

But that's not twisted pair, it's 10Base-2 coax. And the OP stated that the card does not have a coax connection.

Reply 5 of 12, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

meant crossover cable its like cat5 but one end of the connections are reversed
why do you think shops sell cat5 and patch cables - because they are not the same
edit: also called cat5 crossover cable
here:

Crossover
Cables come in two flavors, straight through, also called a patch cable and a crossover cable. Normally when you connect Ethernet stuff you connect a node to a hub. The connections on each are arranged so that all cabling is 1 to 1. Makes life much simpler.

If you connect two like things together, PC to PC or Hub to Hub you need a crossover cable. Normally hubs have this built in, it is called an uplink port. A crossover cable simple swaps the TX and RX connection at one side.

Reply 6 of 12, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It is definitely a configuration issue.

Have you ever used the card in this particular computer? You mentioned that you used it in a different computer, but not this one. You might be suffering from an IRQ or port conflict.

Turn off "plug and pray" and use the tools the set the IRQ, port, and shared memory address if that is an option. You may need to remove possibly conflicting cards first, at least temporarily.

I believe this card can be configured to run as an NE2000 clone or in its native mode. I would try both out. NE2000 should be a sure thing. Performance will be adequate either way.

If the packet driver loads correctly and the I/O ports are correct you should see the MAC address printed out. If the IRQ is wrong you will be sending packets but never receiving them. Is it getting far enough to tell you the MAC address, or is it complaining about the link not being up before it gets to that?

Mike

Reply 7 of 12, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This card uses twisted pair (CAT5). A generic cable to a switch is all that you need.

A cross-over cable would only be used if you are going directly to an Ethernet card on the back of another computer or if you are going to the uplink port of a switch. Keep it simple - don't do that until you get some experience ...

Reply 8 of 12, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

meant crossover cable its like cat5 but one end of the connections are reversed
why do you think shops sell cat5 and patch cables - because they are not the same

*facepalm*
Good lord. Let's try this again.

The most common use of CAT5 is in making ethernet cables, so if you ask someone for a "CAT5 cable", then you will probably be handed an ethernet cable, and it will probably be a patch cable because those are the most common type of ethernet cable. But that usage of the term is very ambiguous and completely wrong.

The term CAT5 only refers to unterminated cable... in other words, just the wire itself, without any sort of connectors attached. If you have piece of CAT5 with ends on it, it is not a CAT5 cable... it is a cable made out of CAT5. That is an important distinction.

Category 5 is a specification for a particular class of twisted pair cable, with a particular number of twists per meter, and with particular electrical characteristics. That's all it means. There are quite a few types of CAT5, with different kinds of shielding, sheathing, and in some cases even different numbers of pairs.

And all CAT5 is twisted pair, but not all twisted pair cable is CAT5... there are many other types.

A "patch cable" is an informal term for a piece of twisted pair cable, either CAT5, CAT5e, or CAT6, containing four pairs, which is terminated on both ends with RJ45 connectors, wired in either a T568A or T568B configuration. A crossover cable is otherwise the same as a patch cable, except that it is wired with a T568A configuration on one end, and a T568B configuration on the other end.

Reply 9 of 12, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As I said in my last post I meant crossover cable not patch cable

Reply 10 of 12, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sounds like a conflicting irq that blocks the data transfer.

Reply 11 of 12, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I took longer to followup on this then I meant to because of uni exams and laziness afterwards but I had another look but not a complete look.

So still the same problem that when it supposedly queries the nic when it initialises the packet driver the led goes off like the cable is no longer connected and then it tells me it couldn't find the cable and the led comes back on.

So the utility for configuring it is LANAIDC I think there is LANAID as well but I didn't really want to have to install anything. I tried turning on and off Plug and Pray, Link Pulse, Shared Memory Address. None of these things seemed to make a difference and it tells me there isnt a conflict with the interupt except when I had it as *0 but 3 and 15 i got no * meaning conflict in this case.

I don't see anything about switching to NE2000 mode there is something about switching between Ethernet II and IEEE 802 something or rather but I cant remember at this second. I could try a generic NE2000 driver but i dunno if that will work. But ill try some more stuff later maybe putting the NIC in another board

Reply 12 of 12, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I fixed it 😀
I had to modify the source code to jne instead of je when it got the section of code that checked if there was a cable connected.
Still no idea why it had the strange effect of seemingly disconnecting when it initialised the packet driver which happened on a different board as well but with my small change the packet driver worked and I can use mtcp for whatever I need it for on that box.