VOGONS

First post, by Maf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Vogons,
I'm trying to setup my new retro rig (based around ASUS K7V-T) and here's my following problem:
Right after fresh installation of Win98, I try to update chipset drivers - so I install the VIA 4in1 4.35 drivers.
As far as I remember, after forced reboot the "New device found" popups should appear, but they don't.
In Device Manager, all VIA-related mainboard devices/resources use default Microsoft driver.
This is weird, because it worked for me even with the same mainboard a year ago or so.
Did I forget something?

Reply 1 of 5, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yup, after you reboot, Windows should reinstall the VIA hardware. My guess is the driver installer isn't working correctly for some reason. What steps are you going through to install 98 (98SE?)?

What do you mean by "forced reboot"?

Reply 2 of 5, by Maf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
swaaye wrote:

Yup, after you reboot, Windows should reinstall the VIA hardware. My guess is the driver installer isn't working correctly for some reason. What steps are you going through to install 98 (98SE?)?

What do you mean by "forced reboot"?

1. Fresh Win98 install
2. First login
3. Installation of Via 4in1 4.35 - it asks to reboot the system
4. During new start of the system nothing pops up...

Do you guys actually know how this works in Win 98? I mean, how does the system know that there is a newer driver for a given device? It works via the filesystem or the registry?

Reply 3 of 5, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would think that the 4in1 install works like this.
1) puts INF file(s) into Windows/INF/Other, driver files into /Windows/system.
2) uninstalls current device drivers for the hardware
3) reboot
4) Windows re-detects the devices and uses the newly installed INF file.

I looked more into ASUS K7V. It uses the VIA 686A southbridge. I think 686A may be fully supported by 98SE. The AGP driver for KX133 is probably desirable to install, although I highly doubt that its AGP support is reliable regardless of driver (best use a Voodoo3/4/5).

Try the drivers that ASUS provides on their site. Perhaps the older 4in1 version is the key.
support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguag ... edid=n%2fa

Reply 4 of 5, by Maf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I tried it again, this time with 4in1 4.28 (taken from ASUS support site) and it unfortunately didn't help.

Reply 5 of 5, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, as I implied, you probably only need to worry about getting the AGP driver installed. The rest of the functions should work fine with 98SE's built-in drivers. I saw a separate AGP download on that ASUS link.