VOGONS

First post, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

HI guys, trying to tweak my 233MMX to get as slow as possible without comprimising speed.

The Motherboard:

SOYO, SY-5EAS5
Supports MMX, goes up to 200-233. 512kb cache and PS2 mouse port.
moya.jpg

- Set to 66mhz 3.5x = 233MMX
- 32Mb Ram FPM
- S3 Trio64v+ 4mb
- SB16 2230 + NEX XR385 + MT-32 Roland (old)

At 233mmx without L1 and L2 Cache I got a result of 13.67 in Speedsys...the equivalent of a slow 486 I would say....
Would it be possible to slow down even further this machine? The problem with MMX is that they are not very good for slow down purposes due to their CPU onboard cache as we already know...so the slowest setup to try to achieve bigger slowdown would be 50mhz x 2.0 which gives us a Pentium 100MMX. I'm using a 233MMX so the 1.5x jumper setting works as a 3.5x, the slowest I can go therefore is 2.0x...what a pitty.

Ok, so what I wanted is to have a 233MMX one minute and a 100MMX the next one without to much of hustle. Why? because the 100MMX setup without L1 and L2 cache gives us a 9.17 score in Speedsys which is more or less like a 386/40mhz

(An AT BOX is needed because of the turbo button)
I got the turbo button cable and cut it. Splited the cable in two with the help of this little black plastic thingy which I don't know the name of.
AS you can see, the turbo cable goes into the the black plastic thingy and on the other side I joined 2 jumper cables in total. The original turbo one and a new one:

1afe.jpg

3ypa.jpg

I plugged one cable where the multiplier jumpers are (in multiplier 2.0x) and the other cable in the
50mhz jumper position, where the frecuencies are at.

3auh.jpg

So know, I just need to press the turbo button to go from a 386/40Mhz, 9.17 score in Speedsys up to a Pentium 233MMX with a 176.70 score in speedsys. Pretty handy right? 😎
I wanted to share this because it is quite easy to do, and it makes as closer to the all-in-one-impossible Dos Machine.
I know, I know....Amd K6-2's are better for these purposes!

Here some pictures:

aoh4.jpg

ce84.jpg

z9ob.jpg

zr0v.JPG

3tnl.jpg

rqet.jpg

(Speedsys shows setup of 66Mhz 1.5x but it is actually set at 50Mhz 2.0x on motherboard...weird...)

Reply 1 of 15, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Very cool 😀

However for games I recommend using 3dbench 1.0 and not speedsys.

The other option you have is going for "slower" chips like the standard Pentium 200 and all of the K6-2 versions.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 15, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, I may try a Pentium 200 in a future, if I find one, nevertheless 9.17 is a pretty good slow down, many games will work on that setup....

Reply 3 of 15, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't think the slowed system performs anywhere near a 386DX-40. You can not stick to a single benchmark score. Especially as Mau1wurf1977 already noted Speedsys is not suitable. It mixes CPU and FPU scores to one score and a 386DX-40 with FPU scores about 6.9. Still the performance ratio between CPU and FPU is very different on a P55C compared to a 386/387.
And you also have the local bus to all extension cards that can give in some games twice the performance since graphics accesses are much faster.

I strongly recommend to use some real world scenario like Doom Demo 1.9s to compare performance in games to some oldschool system.
run doom -timedemo demo3 and get the realticks value that is shown afterwards.

My raw guess is that your slowed machine performs more like a 486DX-33.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 4 of 15, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The black thingy is called a screw terminal.

I particularly like your attention to detail to set the LED display to HI for 233 MHz and 100 for 100 MHz. And as usual, the matching white case to white monitor is most attractive.

I'm also very interested to see what you get in doom, 3dbench, and pcpbench vs. that of a real 386.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 5 of 15, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On my MMX with all caches disabled and running at 166 MHz I get:

3dbench 1.0: 15.3
Quake timdemo demo1 (all default but no soundcard): 2.1
PCPBENCH/VGAMODE: 3.7

I didn't run Doom when I did these figures, might do this one day though 😀

Wing Commander is certainly a little bit too fast.

Having a fast AGP card vs an ISA ET4000 for example also makes a difference.

RAM also matters. That board has SDRAM but also the older type. SDRAM is a lot faster. On my machine I have one SDRAM that's only 16MB and shows up as EDO in the POST screen. It reduces performance by around 20-30%.

My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 15, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got some results:

a) Doom -timedemo: timed 2134 gametics in 22211 realtics

b) PCPBENCH/VGAMODE 640x480: 1.2

c) 3dbench 1.0: 8.8

No idea how to interpret them...

Reply 7 of 15, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Pingaloka wrote:
I've got some results: […]
Show full quote

I've got some results:

a) Doom -timedemo: timed 2134 gametics in 22211 realtics

b) PCPBENCH/VGAMODE 640x480: 1.2

c) 3dbench 1.0: 8.8

No idea how to interpret them...

Try trixter's TOPBENCH. 😁

New 16-bit-era benchmark project (TOPBENCH)
http://dosbenchmark.wordpress.com/

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 8 of 15, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Cool program Stiletto! First time I see it!
Got some results, don't know how accurate they are, but if so, I'm pretty amazed by the slowdown achieved.
But I'm not quite sure if results are really accurate Stiletto...tried benchmark with Computer L1 + L2 cache on, same setup, and it showed a Pentium II

50mhz 2.0x L1 and L2 Disabled setup = Pentium 100MMX

wz7d.jpg

Reply 9 of 15, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Any thoughts on the results guys?

Reply 10 of 15, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Pingaloka wrote:

Any thoughts on the results guys?

8.8 for 3dbench matches an average 386DX I would say. Wing Commander should certainly run really well on your machine 😀

My YouTube channel

Reply 11 of 15, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you're looking for slow, a IDT Winchip is overall slower clock for clock than a Pentium MMX right out of the box without playing with the fsb or multiplier.

Reply 12 of 15, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sliderider wrote:

If you're looking for slow, a IDT Winchip is overall slower clock for clock than a Pentium MMX right out of the box without playing with the fsb or multiplier.

Thanx good to know....for now I'm going to stick with this setup. Going as down as a 386 33mhz is good enough for me. Now I'm actually going to try play a game, 😀

Reply 13 of 15, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sliderider wrote:

Thanx good to know....for now I'm going to stick with this setup. Going as down as a 386 33mhz is good enough for me. Now I'm actually going to try play a game hehe this is just the perfect setup for my needs 😀

Reply 14 of 15, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's a beautiful case.

Reply 15 of 15, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanx hwh, yes it really is a nice case!