VOGONS

First post, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Recently, I got an old PC (from 2006) from my friend because he bought a new one and wanted to throw this one out. I've decided to use it for retro gaming and for that purpose I installed Windows 98 SE on it because many old games work best on it and it has a decent dos support.

Unfortunately, since the motherboard has no ISA ports, I'm unable to plug in a proper SoundBlaster card to get sound in DOS games. All I have is an integrated AC'97 and vdmsound. Windows does provide sound on some DOS games natively, without the use of vdmsound, but in some games I get sound both out of my headphones and the pc speaker at the same time. Needless to say it can't stay that way.

I need a way to mute/disable it. There's no such option in BIOS and there's no such option in the audio panel of the AC'97 drivers. The way I see it, I could only disable it by uninstalling it with the device manager or plugging it out of the motherboard altogether. While that would do the job, it's not a satisfying solution because I might still need it in the future and I don't want to have to install some drivers or to open up the case each time I do.

What I need is a way to temporarily mute it or disable it in such a way that would allow me to easily re-enable it when it's needed without much hassle. Anybody got any ideas?

Reply 1 of 9, by STX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If your motherboard supports NMIs (see AudioPCI also supports / emulates "intelligent mode" MPU401), then you can get a PCI sound card that would allow you to control the PC speaker volume with the mixer application and emulate old ISA sound cards for DOS games. My SoundBlaster Live! Value has an internal input specifically for the PC speaker audio, but any internal analog audio input on the sound card will work (though you may have to make your own cable). I recommend an AudioPCI-based card because the Live! and Audigy cards hog the PCI bus, causing incompatibilities with some hardware (see http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=76742).

Link to real-mode DOS drivers for the Ensoniq/Creative AudioPCI through the first Creative Audigy:
http://easymamecab.mameworld.info/html/snddosdr.htm

Audigy documentation, which mentions both the PC speaker and DOS games:

Filename
Audigy.pdf
File size
1.2 MiB
Downloads
65 downloads
File comment
Audigy 1 quick start guide
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by STX on 2013-09-05, 14:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 9, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I could do that but I'm short on money at the moment and I still need to buy a screen for this machine.

If I don't find any other solution I think I will take a switch out of a toy or something and attach it to one of the pc speaker cables. Not an elegant solution but it would work and it would be comfortable.

Reply 5 of 9, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

msi pt8 neo-v

And I am considering buying some sort of pci soundblaster in the future. Hopefully, your link will help me find the best one. Right now though, I just ordered a screen for the PC and I'm all out of free-to-spend money so I will have to put that on hold.

Reply 6 of 9, by STX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't know for sure, but I would guess that your motherboard is too new to support non-maskable interrupts. I doubt that an Ensoniq/Creative sound card will work for you in DOS.

There are other PCI sound cards which support sound in DOS (see Recommend a PCI Sound Card for DOS), but I don't know if they also require support for non-maskable interrupts.

Reply 7 of 9, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, it seems I'm screwed plain and simple then.

Well, I considered Win98 DOS support a bonus anyway. I'm not so much into those as much as I am into somewhat newer games from late 90s and early 2000s. Some DOS games actually work fine with my integrated sound so not all is lost. I'm still probably gonna buy a SB Live card or something because while the AC'97 I have right now works, it sounds really, really horrible. The sound is flat beyond belief.

Reply 9 of 9, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

DOSbox has it's imperfections. For instance, there's always at least some sound delay due to it being emulated. I'm very sensitive when it comes to that.

Anyway, I've managed to find a new motherboard for my old DOS machine and if it works, I'll have a DOS-dedicated machine separately.