VOGONS

First post, by ibm5155

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, here on my guillemod maxi sound game theater 64, it's hard to fit on the isa slot, and I think it can't go more down, but, it's not like the pci/agp boards where you don't see the contacts.
So, it's normal that isa boards you see a little part of the board contacts?
and, I put it on my mb, and windows/bios didn't detected nothing, I removed it and put it again, and windows detected it, so, did I fit the sound card ok?

off:My system was crashing due to ide slot not because from psu, I changed it and most of the crashes went out 😳 (this time I could complete timedemo on quake2, but it reseted when I opened the menu, and I don't know if it's related to the sound card not being right fited on isa slot)

off2:I got a 6 in one pci usb board, I installed it but, it say it can't run because irq14 is in use 😮, how could I fixit? D:

Reply 1 of 9, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ibm5155 wrote:

So, here on my guillemod maxi sound game theater 64, it's hard to fit on the isa slot, and I think it can't go more down, but, it's not like the pci/agp boards where you don't see the contacts.
So, it's normal that isa boards you see a little part of the board contacts?

probably this is not in itself a problem

ibm5155 wrote:

and, I put it on my mb, and windows/bios didn't detected nothing, I removed it and put it again, and windows detected it, so, did I fit the sound card ok?

evidently you did

ibm5155 wrote:

off:My system was crashing due to ide slot not because from psu, I changed it and most of the crashes went out 😳 (this time I could complete timedemo on quake2, but it reseted when I opened the menu, and I don't know if it's related to the sound card not being right fited on isa slot)

seeing as windows detects your card, it may be a driver or resources issue.

ibm5155 wrote:

off2:I got a 6 in one pci usb board, I installed it but, it say it can't run because irq14 is in use 😮, how could I fixit? D:

look at resource usage in device manager for clues. But why do you want usb on this pc? do you really need it?

Reply 2 of 9, by ibm5155

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think it was the card because the first time I installed it both bios and windows didn't find it, and on the second they did (but maybe it was not 100% yet);

Well, when I installed the pci board on it I couldn't even boot, i got a 1 long beep, 2 shorts, 1 short at high frequency and other short at low frequency.
I removed all the things on the mb (cdrom, floppy, sound,memory, usb pci) and i was putting one by one to find the problem,I changed the ide slot because the first one didn't looked 100% intact...

Now with all the things The only thing that's still making the system unstable is with the sound card on it, like when you open explorer sometimes it get a fatal error, sometimes the system just freeze D:..
About the usb, it's the because I'll not use internet on it, so I'll use a pendrive to transer data to it (even because I already have a usb/keyboard that works fine), the problem was that the onboard usb was limited to 2 usbs, while the pci has 6 (But I couldn't use because irq 14 was in use, and I suspect it's the hard drive that's using it, but I'll check latter...

Reply 3 of 9, by Captain Breakout

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This reminds me of a problem I had years ago building a retro system. The trouble turned out to be coming from the network card (a PCI 10/100 LAN card, night have been 3Com) which was in the computer since it was new. Took forever to locate the problem (which in my case was intermittent system freezes).

Anyway, I certainly learned that sometimes it's not the sound card, even if it's a crazy one that you just added and installed, but occasionally some other piece of hardware that becomes unstable once the sound card is added. Try disabling your LAN in the BIOS (or pull the card if it's not onboard) and turning off USB hubs, ports, any weird other cards, one by one and see if that gets your system stable. Hard to say what the chances are, but might be work a shot!

Reply 4 of 9, by ibm5155

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tested and found a strange result, when I uninstall the drivers, and i stay with the generic vga driver, the system doesn't crash on dos or windows 😮 (no crash at quake 2, tomb raider,doom,...)

Also I tried to install windows 2000 since it's the only os with the updated sound card drivers, but I stucked to the "starting windows 2000 setup" mensage D:

Now an off: what would be the best gpu for a pentium mmx 233MHz:Nvidia Riva Tnt2 M64,Sis315 64mb,Stealth 3D 3000 Diamond,ati rage 128 ultra? (To play some games like quake 2, nfs2, half life,...)

Reply 5 of 9, by ibm5155

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

DOUBLE POST
For the first time I tried to test another isa slot and 😮 it worked,The board didn't fit right because the power led,speaker,... jumpers were not allowing to fit 100%, but, it's ok, it worked \o/ (even with a weird configuration of ram [1dimm + 2simm slots])...
Since I'll not need the dimm slots, can I put it on my sound card? (the sound card only support 16mb edo, but I have 32mb, is that a problem? D:)

It's so weird, change the isa slow fixed all the problens :s, I'm still curious about the why D:

Reply 6 of 9, by Captain Breakout

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The pinball game trouble-shooter in me is screaming "bad connector". In fact, that's what it sounds like. Sure, it COULD be something with the bus controller, BIOS, or software conflict, but I'm willing to bet that there's a bad pin on the ISA socket, or a loose solder joint on the underside... or maybe even a cut trace.

Most of us PC retro guys (myself included) are so caught up in drivers and IRQs that we don't think to check for the physical sources of electronic problems. Examine the pins on the ISA slot... clean them gently (I recommend cardstock, like an uncoated business card, and a little alcohol... slide it into the slot and check the paper- there'll probably be dirt on it). Use a flashlight and a magnifying glass and look into the slot itself too... all the pins should look the same. If one is bent or broken, that's the source of the trouble. Also check for solder joints near and around the isa slot that look like a surface-mount component might have broken off. Comparing that area to the other slots might show you there's a vital piece missing... sort of a "what's different about this picture" scenario.

Also flip the board over and examine the solder joints. Look for loose or off-color solder joints. If you are skilled with a solder iron, you can reheat them. Solder joints that take a lot of current sometimes "donut", that is, they remelt and form a donut around the pin on the edge of the hole, making little or no contact with the pin in the center. This happens in older arcade games sometimes, and I imagine could happen on a motherboard too. It's a 10-second fix if you know what you are doing.

Anyway, good luck. Maybe you'll find the source of the problem. Another rule of thumb, at least in pinball repair, if you see anything burnt, even if it's just a small shadow of a burn mark (or a blown capacitor -google that if you're interested), that's pretty much for sure your problem.

Glad you nailed it down to something! Good onya.

Reply 7 of 9, by ibm5155

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well The problem back >.>
The first isa slot, it looks like the isa sound card can't fit right because it touch the power led jumpers and the processor fan connector, The weird part is the system works fine with no video card drivers installed (just the generic vga driver).

It was strange, because It worked fine with quake 2 timedemo 1 with no crash, but on the next restart, things back how they were rofl

on safemod the system runs stable with no problem, but on the normal mode, I'll see many explorere crashes (error mensages, blue screens, system freezes,...).

Maybe the gpu doesn't fully support the motherboard? (since with sound card installed plus generic vga driver works fine, it could be related to the gpu right?)

EDIT: ALL PICRUTES FROM THE SYSTEM
Mother board with only procesor connected
Video Card:RADEON 7200
Sound Card:Maxi Sound Game Theater 64
Sound Card Installed
Ram memory:Used 384mb sdram, but now it's only using the infineon, since the 256mb aren't good...
Ram Installed
Usb Hub
Usb Hub Installed
PSU connected to the motherboard, dvd-rom, hard disc and floppy
Floppy cable and ide cable connected view 1
Floppy cable and ide cable connected view 2
And the case on 😁

Reply 9 of 9, by ibm5155

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Problem found \o/
It's the psu, it looks like it's not good because it stayed without use for 17 years 😳
Well, The good news is that I found a "new" at psu to sell (at least the model came from 2008 😁)