VOGONS

First post, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have this "Turbo Board 10 MHz" XT clone board that came with a bunch of stuff I bought off DonutKing. Initially it was just tripping the PSU overload switch. I cut off the main input filter caps and tried again, but this time, nearly all the tantalum capacitors exploded like popcorn. Pretty intense. After that I removed them all and replaced them with brand new electrolytic caps, and now it's purring.

Question is, what to do with it?

My IBM 5150 contains the original IBM board, so I won't be upgrading that. I have an 80s clone case I could build it into, but I already have a Tandy 1000RL, so it would just go into a cupboard to collect dust.

So I'm thinking I should sell it. But in what shape? Should I just sell the board as a spare part? Or should I build it up in aforementioned case and sell it as a working system? Maybe rig it up with a ghetto ISA Multi-I/O + XTIDE-on-a-NIC combo?

Inspire me!!

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 1 of 10, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I should just buy new tantalum capacitors on ebay and replace them.. Why would someone buy your dead shit anyways? Also replace the other ones you cut off.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 2 of 10, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd go the route of assembling a complete system with it and selling it myself, since it sounds like you don't actually need it for anything.

Reply 3 of 10, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I lovingly put together a 486 for sale on eBay recently and the experience left me cold. I got decent money for it relatively speaking but I still don't think it was worth my time, and it wasn't nearly as much fun building a machine for someone else.

In comparison I have some local dude coming to pick up a 486 I'm giving to him for nothin' today and I feel much more comfortable with that, I'm all care and no responsibility and he'll enjoy it more, coz he got it for free.

So I think I'm suggesting that you give it away and enjoy the good karma.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 4 of 10, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Robin4 wrote:

I should just buy new tantalum capacitors on ebay and replace them.. Why would someone buy your dead shit anyways? Also replace the other ones you cut off.

Wow. That was needlessly aggressive.

I don't know what you're talking about either. It's not dead any more, and I replaced ALL the capacitors.

WTF man?

Reply 5 of 10, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I'd go the route of assembling a complete system with it and selling it myself, since it sounds like you don't actually need it for anything.

That was my initial idea, but...

badmojo wrote:

I lovingly put together a 486 for sale on eBay recently and the experience left me cold. I got decent money for it relatively speaking but I still don't think it was worth my time, and it wasn't nearly as much fun building a machine for someone else.

Yeah, I've seen you mention this before, such a shame. I think the vintage-PC-gamer scene might be reaching saturation, seems like it's just parts that sell now. That or as-original OEM systems.

badmojo wrote:

In comparison I have some local dude coming to pick up a 486 I'm giving to him for nothin' today and I feel much more comfortable with that, I'm all care and no responsibility and he'll enjoy it more, coz he got it for free.

So I think I'm suggesting that you give it away and enjoy the good karma.

This is sounding like a good idea.

Thanks for your input bigmouth and badmojo! 😀

Reply 7 of 10, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I gave my neighbour across the road / fellow vintage hoarder (well I'm not really a hoarder anyway) a couple of my mainboards that I have no real need for. Funny his daughter said to him "This guy is really after specific stuff because you have hundreds of things" 😀

Putting them on eBay, taking pictures, writing the articles, packing it, dragging it to the post office is just to much hassle and the boards are nothing special.

On Overclockers Australia is a give-away retro gear thread and I think it's a great idea.

I have also turned down a LOT of hardware because people know I'm into old computers. But it's always way too new and I have absolutely no need / time / space for Pentium 4 gear.

I also prefer to buy from fellow retro people. You can tell in the eBay auctions. They write a little about the product and know what it is. Can't stand those mass recycle sellers who take really poor pictures, want $100+ and haven't even tested it 😠

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 8 of 10, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wanted to get rid of some stuff to free up some space. I built up a pentium 150 box with a 3dfx Rush and an AWE64, loaded a few games on it like Quake, Hexen, Carmageddon, Duke 3d etc... put it on ebay for $35. Only got one bid. I got a few people asking if I'd split it so they could cherry pick what parts they wanted.

Totally wasn't worth the time and effort it took to build it and set it up, list it on ebay, deal with the cretins etc...
I think badmojo might have a point. I'd have probably got more out of the experience if I'd given it to someone who really wanted it and would enjoy it.

I do wonder on ebay, how many of these people are actually playing with the hardware and enjoying it, or just sticking it in a cupboard as an addition to their 'collection'? basically just hoarding it and shrinking the market.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 9 of 10, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow, that sucks DK. 🙁

I guess I'll see if someone on VCF maybe wants to buy it. If not, yeah, I'll give it away I suppose. Trouble is, the only person I know that'd want it and is within driving distance of me is you! 😜

Reply 10 of 10, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DonutKing wrote:
I wanted to get rid of some stuff to free up some space. I built up a pentium 150 box with a 3dfx Rush and an AWE64, loaded a fe […]
Show full quote

I wanted to get rid of some stuff to free up some space. I built up a pentium 150 box with a 3dfx Rush and an AWE64, loaded a few games on it like Quake, Hexen, Carmageddon, Duke 3d etc... put it on ebay for $35. Only got one bid. I got a few people asking if I'd split it so they could cherry pick what parts they wanted.

Totally wasn't worth the time and effort it took to build it and set it up, list it on ebay, deal with the cretins etc...
I think badmojo might have a point. I'd have probably got more out of the experience if I'd given it to someone who really wanted it and would enjoy it.

I do wonder on ebay, how many of these people are actually playing with the hardware and enjoying it, or just sticking it in a cupboard as an addition to their 'collection'? basically just hoarding it and shrinking the market.

When parts were cheap, I was major hoarder. As soon as prices caught up with the market, though, I could no longer afford to hoard but if something appears that is underpriced, I will still grab it whether I need it or not as either a spare or trade bait for something more expensive that I want.