VOGONS

386 Networking

Topic actions

First post, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just stuck a 3com EtherLink III in my 386 system but now I'm at a loss as to what I can actually do with it.

Ideally I'd like to transfer files from my Pentium system since it has full Internet access and can be used as a file server for the 386.

What do I need except for a DOS driver for this to work?

Cheers

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 1 of 23, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

All you will ever need is a DOS TCP packet driver for your NIC and mTCP: http://www.brutman.com/mTCP/
I use it on my 386/486 and p1 DOS builds, it's just excellent. You setup the ftp server on the mTCP side and then from whatever main computer you have you launch a FTP client, connect to the old pc and transfer files

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 23, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

All you will ever need is a DOS TCP packet driver for your NIC and mTCP: http://www.brutman.com/mTCP/
I use it on my 386/486 and p1 DOS builds, it's just excellent. You setup the ftp server on the mTCP side and then from whatever main computer you have you launch a FTP client, connect to the old pc and transfer files

+1 for mTCP.

I even use it on a Tandy 1000. It's brilliant.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 4 of 23, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use mTCP as well. I set up an FTP server on my DOS machine and that lets me connect to it from pretty much any modern machine, and use a graphical FTP client to easily get files on the DOS machine 😀

In your mtcp config file I find these settings really help (your results will vary depending on specs of your system:)

FTPSRV_FILEBUFFER_SIZE 16kb
FTPSRV_PACKETS_PER_POLL 10
FTPSRV_CLIENTS 10
FTPSRV_TCPBUFFER_SIZE 16kb

In your FTP Client (I use FileZilla) set a speed limit of 100kb/s and max simultaneous connections to 1.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 7 of 23, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

does a 16bit isa ethernet card (cogent em110) work in a 8bit slot?

PC#1: K6-III+ 400 | 512MB | Geforce4 | Voodoo1 | SB Live | AWE64 | GUS PNP Pro
PC#2: 486DX2-66 | 64MB | Riva128 | AWE64 | GUS PNP | PAS16
PC#3: 386DX-40 | 32MB | CL-GD5434 | SB Pro | GUS MAX | PAS16

Think you know your games music? Show us: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37532

Reply 9 of 23, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another option is MS Network Client, which allows you to mount shared folders on a Windows machine to a drive letter and access it like a second harddrive. It eats a lot of memory though.

Reply 10 of 23, by Gabucino

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jwt27 wrote:

Another option is MS Network Client, which allows you to mount shared folders on a Windows machine to a drive letter and access it like a second harddrive. It eats a lot of memory though.

I run a FreeBSD NFS server, and all my DOS computers connect to it with a DOS NFS client called XFS. Quarterdeck's OPTIMIZE can load all of it into UMB (probably MS LanMan too).

Reply 11 of 23, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just a general question.

Would it be possible to install WIndows 3.11 for Network (or what it is called) and then share folders on the network? Just like it is possible with Win9x and up.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 12 of 23, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:

Just a general question.

Would it be possible to install WIndows 3.11 for Network (or what it is called) and then share folders on the network? Just like it is possible with Win9x and up.

You mean Windows for Workgroups? Sure, probably – but I'm not sure why you would bother.

You can also in theory use the MS network client for DOS to access shared folders on another computer, but it can be tricky hammering out the details, especially in comparison to the simplicity of mTCP.

Reply 13 of 23, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:
vetz wrote:

Just a general question.

You mean Windows for Workgroups? Sure, probably – but I'm not sure why you would bother.

You can also in theory use the MS network client for DOS to access shared folders on another computer, but it can be tricky hammering out the details, especially in comparison to the simplicity of mTCP.

Yes, that's the name 😀

I'm planning on having Windows 3.11 or Windows for Workgroups installed for some 3.11 gaming on my 386. Then I thought I might as well share the drive and enable file transfer directly from Windows Explorer on my Win7 machine.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 14 of 23, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use a different solution. Since the authentication of Windows Vista and newer (via NTLM) does not work with Win 3.x I setup a Linux in a Virtual Machine. There are several suggestion how to lower the authentication level of Win7 but it didn't worked here. The Linux uses a Samba server that shares folders with lowest authentication level possible. This works pretty good, I can make any folder available that the Linux VM can mount.
In my simple case I mount a folder through the virtual machine extensions and make this available to my vintage PCs.
As it is a VM I can also clone and move it where ever it is suitable.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 15 of 23, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:

I'm planning on having Windows 3.11 or Windows for Workgroups installed for some 3.11 gaming on my 386. Then I thought I might as well share the drive and enable file transfer directly from Windows Explorer on my Win7 machine.

Well, sharing a folder on the 386 that is accessible from Windows 7 is different from sharing a folder on your Windows 7 machine that is accessible from your 386. I'm not sure why you would want to do it the first way instead of the second way.

elianda wrote:

I use a different solution. Since the authentication of Windows Vista and newer (via NTLM) does not work with Win 3.x I setup a Linux in a Virtual Machine. There are several suggestion how to lower the authentication level of Win7 but it didn't worked here. The Linux uses a Samba server that shares folders with lowest authentication level possible. This works pretty good, I can make any folder available that the Linux VM can mount.
In my simple case I mount a folder through the virtual machine extensions and make this available to my vintage PCs.
As it is a VM I can also clone and move it where ever it is suitable.

Isn't Samba (SMB) an entirely different protocol than what is used by Win 3.x (NetBIOS) ?

EDIT: Oh, Samba does that too.

Reply 16 of 23, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have tried WfW sharing , it works but it's slow, on my setup it was ~3 times slower than mTCP's ftp server.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 17 of 23, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Half-Saint wrote:
I just stuck a 3com EtherLink III in my 386 system but now I'm at a loss as to what I can actually do with it. […]
Show full quote

I just stuck a 3com EtherLink III in my 386 system but now I'm at a loss as to what I can actually do with it.

Ideally I'd like to transfer files from my Pentium system since it has full Internet access and can be used as a file server for the 386.

What do I need except for a DOS driver for this to work?

Cheers

First thing that came to my mind was an image of working on PC's in the 90's... an image of a LapLink cable.