VOGONS

First post, by thegardentool

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I got some time to start going through some of a larger lot I picked up a couple weeks ago. I knew a few of the motherboards had busted barrel batteries. I was going to use them to brush up on my soldering and desoldering skills, as well as use them to learn how to clean up battery acid.

Unfortunately one of the boards I wanted to use has some gouges underneath that cut quite a few traces. It looks like damage from hitting standoffs but I suppose there really is no telling. It's a Gigabyte GA-586HX that I was going to mate up with an MMX233. All the parts I was using to test it with did work on a different board, an ASUS VX97, so I could rule those out. The board received power, keyboard lights came on and the CPU fan started, but no POST and nothing when I hooked up a case speaker either. I suppose I'll try my hand at attempting to repair the traces and if it doesn't work then just use the VX97 instead for a Socket 7 build.

This got me wondering, what do you guys do with hardware that is broken or beyond your repair skills?

Main: 7800X3D | X670e | 3090 | 4k144hz
Retro: Kind of together: P3 | ASUS P3B-F | Canopus Spectra 2500 | Canopus Pure3D II SLI | (sometimes a Voodoo 5 AGP) | SoundBlaster AWE32|

Reply 1 of 12, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have an out-door toilet in which I hang the interesting dead hardware I come across. It's fun to look at while... you know, but the collection has also come in handy many times when I need cache chips, battery holders, etc.

The boring stuff goes to the recycle center.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 3 of 12, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sometimes when my repair skills are insufficient, I pay someone with higher skills to do the job. I had a damaged DB50XG with some of ROM traces shortened. I wasn't even able to detect the source of problem, however, I found someone that resoldered the traces and it cost me only $20 with shipping there and back.

Also I offer dead or unneeded hardware (which is impossible to sell due to no demand) at local hardware forums for free, sometimes people take them for repairing, parts or some other usage.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 4 of 12, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If one needs precious hardware recovery due to solder problems broken traces etc and do not know how to fix , i can help.
If you do not have the skills.

Reply 5 of 12, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What little that I can't repair I use for parts like caps ect, I try to avoid the lemons when buying scrap laptops and anything that is desktop that is bust I take anyway if the price is super low or free even if it has been sitting outside in the rain for months. Scrubbing rusty filthy boards back into functional use is fun and once in a blue moon get a hard drive too. 😀

Broken boards are great for solder practice and cut traces are very easy to fix but practice is key. You can jump with a wire or if you are good you can make a solder bridge over the gap.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 6 of 12, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't throw anything away, ever. All broken hardware ends up on a pile, mixed with the working stuff, so every time I need something I can spend three days searching for it. 😀

Reply 7 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've managed to sell dead motherboards on eBay in the past – properly and fully described, of course. It took a really long time, but someone eventually bought them. (I wonder how many years it will take to dispose of my ten-year-old ADSL modem?)

Reply 8 of 12, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:

I've managed to sell dead motherboards on eBay in the past – properly and fully described, of course. It took a really long time, but someone eventually bought them. (I wonder how many years it will take to dispose of my ten-year-old ADSL modem?)

Never 😈

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 9 of 12, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

if it's nothing special then I store it and harvest connectors and similar stuff.... if' it's something GOOD then I try to ressurrect it .

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 10 of 12, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, if we are talking about something like an old monitor, that consists of several boards, but the screen happens to be dead, I may use the remaining, functioning boards to satisfy my upgrade-itis. Pull the power-supply board, upgrade the capacitors, and other components that could use refreshing or improving, same for the driver-board, then find a used version of that monitor and rebuild it with the freshly reworked PCB's. I've done this with gaming consoles as well.

Reply 11 of 12, by Samir

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've never thought about it until this thread. I've had a small pile of stuff that I discover is defective and didn't know exactly what to do with it since I know it's good to someone. Looks like I need to figure out if I want something fixed or whether it's time for the piece to move on to the next owner. 😀

Reply 12 of 12, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I give it away for free. 😊

I do not fix anything. I do not have the tools, skills and most items are not worth shipping / driving to someone to have it fixed. Things like NICs, PCI VGAs and such are really not worth the trouble.