PC#1: K6-III+ 400 | 512MB | Geforce4 | Voodoo1 | SB Live | AWE64 | GUS PNP Pro
PC#2: 486DX2-66 | 64MB | Riva128 | AWE64 | GUS PNP | PAS16
PC#3: 386DX-40 | 32MB | CL-GD5434 | SB Pro | GUS MAX | PAS16

Think you know your games music? Show us: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37532

Reply 21 of 23, by Samir

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So one thing that hasn't been mentioned here is old Artisoft Lantastic. It ran well as a server or client on any platform from DOS to Win98se. I still run it parallel with MS networking on my 95/98se systems, but it can be a bit tricky to set up.

The only disadvantage of it was the memory usage in DOS, as much as 40k conventional. But it ran very, very well and was dead reliable.

I've got to try the mtcp though as I still have my Laplink cable and the interlnk/intersvr combination worked really well with this cable. I also have a Xircom parallel port 10-base 2/t network adapter that we could run. But since the speed was limited by the parallel port anyways, we always found the interlnk/svr solution to be quicker to setup.

Reply 22 of 23, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

LANtastic is a good alternative as well. I am also going try to work with Novell Personal NetWare as I got that pretty cheap last week. Just waiting for it to arrive. 😊

Getting IPX to work for FastLynx for example & games is pretty easy with NetWare:
LSL (LH when possible)
NE2000 (LH when possible: or whatever driver for the appropriate card)
IPXODI / IPX (LH when possible)

Away you go. 🤣

Setting up a server and clients is a separate discussion obviously.

Reply 23 of 23, by Samir

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PeterLI wrote:
LANtastic is a good alternative as well. I am also going try to work with Novell Personal NetWare as I got that pretty cheap las […]
Show full quote

LANtastic is a good alternative as well. I am also going try to work with Novell Personal NetWare as I got that pretty cheap last week. Just waiting for it to arrive. 😊

Getting IPX to work for FastLynx for example & games is pretty easy with NetWare:
LSL (LH when possible)
NE2000 (LH when possible: or whatever driver for the appropriate card)
IPXODI / IPX (LH when possible)

Away you go. 🤣

Setting up a server and clients is a separate discussion obviously.

At one point I played around with a hybrid Lantasitic/Netware setup where it would run dual protocols, the other being IPX. This way, LAN games would work. 😀

My brother and I played Doom that way back in the day, working as a team. But since the levels weren't the same, it wasn't much fun this way.