The obsidian2 x-24

Topic actions

First post, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

couple questions about this card

1) are there any compatibility, speed issues or weird quirks or does it straight up function as a 2 voodoo II in SLI while using 1 slot?
2) do you need special drivers? if so are they easily obtainable?

Reply 3 of 11, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The real problem is the cable, isn't it? Most Obsidians are shipped as-is, while the original Medusa cable is vital for using such a card.

Reply 5 of 11, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hmm, so the VGA port on it is different from a standard Voodoo?

Reply 6 of 11, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes. 25pins, 3 rows (8/9/8).

Just noticed, the card also has s-video and composite outputs. So if you have a screen that you can hook up to those and to the 2D card, you can still use it, I think.

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 7 of 11, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is an issue. It gets too bloody hot and is prone to overheating. The board also tends to warp in a tower configuration because it's too damn heavy. If you can spare the PCI slots, you're probably better off with regular voodoo2s in SLI. I sold mine (for a pretty penny) a few years back.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 8 of 11, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
NitroX infinity wrote:

Indeed. Without the Medusa cable the card is useless. Well, except for bragging rights 😜

The pinouts are available if you're talented enough to make a decent looking cable that doesn't look like a spider web of loose wires.

Sometimes you find the cables on their own, but the people who are selling them know what they have and how desperate some people are to get them so prices are high. $150 is the highest asking price I think I've ever seen for a Medusa cable, which is more than I paid for either my X-24 or 200SBi.

Reply 10 of 11, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you're able to find one of the Obisidian2 200SBi cards, the overheating problem isn't such an issue, but of course you still need the Medusa cable.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 11 of 11, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
m1919 wrote:

If you're able to find one of the Obisidian2 200SBi cards, the overheating problem isn't such an issue, but of course you still need the Medusa cable.

Or if you can find an X24 with the optional cooling fan like I did. 😁