VOGONS

First post, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can any one suggest a good motherboard with both PCI-X and AGP 4x slot?
My A7M266-D went up in smoke today because #yolo.

I want both on the board because i want to hook up an PCI-X SATA2 controller.
I would prefer if the board had PCI-X all the way down instead of up near AGP - Due to my Voodoo 5 5.5k fans being large.

I would also like to know what is the best AGP 4x motherboard, since dual processor didn't turn out to be as interesting as i thought 🤣
I am pretty sure both AMSN2600DKT3C survived, plus i have one spare.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 1 of 9, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do you want the best board that can run a 3.3V AGP 2X card or the best motherboard that can run a AGP 4X 1.6v card?

Most if not all AGP motherboards can handle AGP 4X cards with 1.6V signal voltage.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 2 of 9, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I want to use it for Voodoo 5 5500 graphics adapter. Which uses 3.3V as i remember.

Reply 3 of 9, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stojke wrote:
Can any one suggest a good motherboard with both PCI-X and AGP 4x slot? My A7M266-D went up in smoke today because #yolo. […]
Show full quote

Can any one suggest a good motherboard with both PCI-X and AGP 4x slot?
My A7M266-D went up in smoke today because #yolo.

I want both on the board because i want to hook up an PCI-X SATA2 controller.
I would prefer if the board had PCI-X all the way down instead of up near AGP - Due to my Voodoo 5 5.5k fans being large.

I would also like to know what is the best AGP 4x motherboard, since dual processor didn't turn out to be as interesting as i thought 🤣
I am pretty sure both AMSN2600DKT3C survived, plus i have one spare.

You'd probably be looking at a server board for something like that. I have a dual 604 board with (IIRC) 1 AGP Pro, 2 PCI-X, and 2 PCI slots. That's probably as close as you'll get to the configuration you describe.

Reply 4 of 9, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Out of curiosity, why do we need a PCI-X card for SATA? What's wrong with PCI? 😕

Also, I'm fairly sure the Voodoo5 is AGP 2x only - I've seen mods that try to put one into an AGP 8x slot (this requires cutting) and it still will only enable up to 2x. So you only need a board with appropriate supports for that, and the PCI-X slot. I would look for workstation/server boards from around the time of the Voodoo5 - it'll be your best bet for finding PCI-X. Getting AGP and PCI-X together, and not having something too modern for the Voodoo5, is probably the bigger trick. Maybe the Tyan K7 Thunder for example? It lists AGP 2x/4x support for its AGP socket, and has five PCI32/64 slots.

Alternately, look at a PCI SATA controller and have a much wider range of options. 😊

Reply 5 of 9, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, i do have PCI only SATA controller as well, but the 4x SATA2 Adaptec one is better.
I would like to know what are the best possible if i ever run into some, but no PCI-X is also OK. As long as Voodoo can work with out the need of neutering 🤣

Reply 6 of 9, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

MSI K7D Master/Master-L if you want to use the dual athlons and voodoo5... but pci-x slots are near the agp. Seems to work ok with a modern-ish psu too.

Seems the Tyan Tiger S2466 is similar.

Reply 7 of 9, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stojke wrote:

Well, i do have PCI only SATA controller as well, but the 4x SATA2 Adaptec one is better.
I would like to know what are the best possible if i ever run into some, but no PCI-X is also OK. As long as Voodoo can work with out the need of neutering 🤣

You should be able to get SATA2 on PCI; not that it generally matters for performance (I'm assuming when you say "better" the Adaptec probably has more features, like RAID; which does matter). Like this: http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-6-Port-SATA-Host … SATA+controller

As far as the "best" boards - I'm guessing dual Athlon is probably where you're going to be looking based on what I've found, and other replies you're getting. If you're fine coming off the CPUs a bit, there should be a variety of Pentium III and single Athlon boards that will do alright.

Reply 8 of 9, by misterjones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a Tyan Tiger MP based dual Athlon MP machine right now (typically running CentOS but I needed it for WinXP temporarily). Has 4 PCI-X and 2 PCI slots as well as a 2x/4x AGP slot.

Reply 9 of 9, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Something like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tyan-S2466N-Motherboa … d-/201025299530

You would have 2 PCIX slots one of which should be far enough from the AGP to allow the Voodoo5500 some breathing room.

Boards with full PCIX slots tend to not have any AGP.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software