VOGONS

First post, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I noticed this a while ago on my Voodoo 5 5500.

Filename
stuff_194_03-10-2013.JPG
File size
2.55 MiB
Downloads
No downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Filename
stuff_195_03-10-2013.JPG
File size
2.46 MiB
Downloads
No downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Although minor...IT'S RUST ! :0

It's stored in it's original box and not in a humid place i assure you. It's in the same place as all my other vintage hardware and you guessed, none of it is rusty..

Has any of you experienced this with your voodoo 5 5500 video card or any other voodoo video card?

Thanks in advance

My 2001 gaming beast in all it's "Pentium 4 Williamate" Glory!

Reply 1 of 5, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I live in Colorado, so NOTHING rusts. Every time I get computer parts from swamplands like Florida or Washington it always tends to be rusty. Where do you live?

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 2 of 5, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I live in Portugal, but this is the only card i have showing these symptoms. That's why i find this situation a bit odd, Besides it's not just any video card, it's a freaking voodoo5 5500 that could loose some value if i eventually decide to seel it one day 🙁

Reply 3 of 5, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a V5 5500 AGP that is even more rusty than yours. It has corroded in the same places (rear plate and the bracket at the power connector), so it looks like those parts were made from poor-quality steel. When I bought it a few years ago I assumed it was stored in a damp cellar, and I got it for a low price (~15 €).

Reply 4 of 5, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well after a few google images searches i have found one or two more examples or similar cases.
3Dfx really did some dubious choices after voodoo2\banshee but i never thought material choices were one of them.
Curiously (not) some ebay users take the most tactical shots of their voodoo5 cards for sale, i can't notice any rust on those 😀